this looks interesting from NASA &Boeing

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/image...ture_2329.html

Tap
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: blended wing air craft

This looks like it's from the old X-10 desing. Wouldn't you love to be the R/C pilot on this one? Apparently no budget constraints, no flying field problems, no noise problems....
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy crap it's a feaking wasp!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!!! Plans?? :P
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

looks like the offspring of one of Boeings dreamliner concepts....

Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 AM
beepee

I will be a stick in the mud and offer that the above concept will never happen. They could not put enough barf bags in the outer seat backs to keep up. During turbulence the roll motion is not so bad in a conventional design as the passengers are close to center. Get way out in the wing of this contraption and the agitation will be severe.

But that's just me,

Bedford
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM
maxmwill

Likewise I ask, any plans available?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Goldenduff

Might be an idea for cargo though? Just not livestock!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
maxmwill

Do you refer to paying passengers as livestock, or do you include the four footed variety?

I'm not sure if something like this would lend itself to being used as a glorified cattlecar for cattle very well.

Have you ever seen the condition of a bird after it has hauled a load of cattle? I have, and in fact was one of the mechanics stuck with cleaning it.

I was working at a repair station in Washington state, and a customer came in flying an L100, a civil version of the Hercules. This bird had just came down from Alaska after hauling three loads of cattle up there. Cattle have interesting reactions to flying, especially if the altitude gets a tad high. As the ambient air pressure goes down, the gas inside the cattle that is produced by digestion goes up in pressure, and things tend to cut loose. And cattlecan't be sedated, so theytend to get upset. Very upset.Couple that with the fact that cattle tend to urinate as well, and both kinds of stuff go everywhere in the cargo hold in back, you find that stuff plated everywhere, in the most amazing of places. And it is corrosive if left on the aluminum for very long. So, it takes a couple mechanics 8 hours or so to remove that stuff.

Me, were I given the choice, I'd prefer to do sumping; crawl inside an airliner fuel tank and sop up left over jet a with several bales of rags. All the while singing to myself that "I have sumpin' to do". Warm an cozy in there, even in the dead of Winter, although you do have to tolerate the pervasive stink of kerosene, and the skin on your knees tends to start peeling after a few hours in there. Sumping has to be done in order to facilitate internal repairs, such as sealing and changing fasteners such as rivets or hilocks.

But, this is off topic. A BWB RC model would make a fascinating subject to build, so again I ask, are there any plans available, or does anyone have plans to draw up plans?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Goldenduff

Beepee said the roll that far out from the longitudinal axis would be horrendous. So I suggested cargo, specifically NOT livestock. 

Plans woul be nice though.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 AM
maxmwill

Ok, I mis-read.

Still, I wonder if one could go ahead and design a reasonably scale model of this(although mebbe "scale model" would be kind of a misnomer, because it wouldn't exist in the first place. But then, I have a cdrom of seaplane patents from over the decades, from the early teens to the early 90s, and those all existed on paper only, except for a few which went on to being manufactured, along with a what-if water-born Herky Bird in the 60's. One that might have potential is a little bitty tail less flying boat with a contraprop in the tail, ala Seawind, which might be kinda nifty to build).

Speaking of that disc, as well as another cdrom of speculative warplane designs, would anyone be interested in copies? I finally figured out how to load these onto a thumb drive, and so could send copies when I can scrape the bucks together for thumb drives.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Goldenduff

Hi- thanks for the offer- the plans could be emailed? Can you copy the names ad paste them here so we know what you are offering? Cheers
Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM
maxmwill

One is titled Speculative Warplane Designs: A history in Patents, and the other one is Seaplane patents.

I can't find the seaplane disc, but I do have the other one right in front of me now, but both are on a thumb drive. How can I email what's on the thumb drive(I'm a better metalsmith and radial engine mechanic than I am a computer geek)?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Goldenduff

Hello! I for one would be interested in the more prototype designs- fed up of classic configurations. 

To send via email you should have the option to attach a file- often the symbol of a paper clip (to attach). After this select browse files. Select where the file is (c drive, documents, pictures). Double click to select then send!!!?......
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM
maxmwill

Ok, I'll try. Not very sure, because I've never done anything like this before. BTW, what's your email addy?

I agree. To tell the truth, I got real tired early onof P51s, all the Hellcats and Wildcats. the B17s, the 109s and 190s(although I wouldn't mind seeing someone tackle a 190TL, which was a proposed turbine powered 190. They decided to stick a centrifugal flow turbine in the nose instead of the radial, and have the jet exhaust wash around the cockpit. Would've made for some interesting flight characteristics, not to mention it'd take one brave or stupid pilot, what with any leaks to the cockpit). There are so many other designs, not only from WW2, but the interwar and WW1, as well as earlier, and later, as well as many one-offs and prototypes which might be as well known, but were also much sweeter flying machines.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Goldenduff

I've sent you a private message with my email. Rc can excuse some design flaws and make for some "alternative" designs......
Bed for me (Scotland) cheers
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 PM
amtpdb

More jobs out of the country if they build it. The government under the NASA title helped pay for the design and allowed the build to be done, with our tax dollars, in another country. Boeing did not even have the model made in the states! I guess there is nobody capable of building something like this in the states. Can you say RUTAN!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

could you upload some of them some where where I and others could down load them? are they ready for R/C or is there some guess work going to beinvolved?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
maxmwill

No, they are patent drawings, some with more detail than others.

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to find a way to download the memory sticks into a format that I can easily upload into an email or a link for this forum, which is why I suggested sending copies in other memory sticks to members who would like. I ask permission first, because only a troll or other unmentionable would demand outright.

On the Speculative Warplanes disc, there are a couple sets of patent drawings from McDonnel which look a lot like the XP67 Moonbat, one of them in a pusher configuration.

I want to share this information, but am all thumbs with regard to doing anything more than copy and paste, or simply depending on snail mail.

My apologies.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM
maxmwill

No, part of the problem with that is corporate inertia. While a new and exciting design might catch the fancy of the public, most of the larger corporations prefer to operate with the tried and true, seeming to forget that at one time in the past, the "tried and true" was the new fangled, the new thing that caught the public's fancy.

If the need is desperate enough, as witnessed by the military finally accepting the Northrop large flying wing concept, then you see a larger scale acceptance and subsequent adoption of a given concept.

However, your mentioning Rutan and his concepts, just proves the exception. On the smaller scale, someone like Rutan will be adopted.