Community
Search
Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Flight (2012 film) - Can airliners fly inverted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight (2012 film) - Can airliners fly inverted?

I just watched this new movie, "Flight", which is currently exhibited in movie theaters.

After suffering some turbulence that damages the elevator (stuck in down position), the pilot saves his airliner from an uncontrolled dive by inverting flight.

Question: Is this possible in real life?

Copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_(2012_film)

"Plot

.......During takeoff the flight encounters intense turbulence.
After reaching cruising altitude, Copilot Ken Evans (Brian Geraghty) flies the plane............
A few minutes before final descent Whip (the captain) is jolted awake by a mechanical noise.
The plane goes into a steep dive, and after exhausting all other options, Whip rolls the plane into an inverted position to bring it out of the dive and then maneuvers the plane right-side up just before crash-landing in a field.
He loses consciousness upon impact."
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Flight (2012 film) - Can airliners fly inverted?

I bet they can - but not for long
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM
ByLoudDesign

I would think that any A/C could do it. There is got to be a minimum flight envelope that A/C must pass to be air worthy! I would think that it would include roll overs and inverted flight to prove the airframe air worthy! I suspect that is altered by intended use,but not much, as there is no way to predict that a airliner may not end up rolling over or in a situation where they need t stay inverted!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

I doubt that it can be done very long.... For one the fuel systems in airliners are not design to supply fuel when inverted. The engines would flame out from lack of fuel.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM
ByLoudDesign

You mean they do not use clunks!!! LOL!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MD-80 load limits are +2.5 -1.0. Not much for maneuvers inverted. It takes 3 G to do a loop, so to recover from an outside loop it takes 3 G. I imagine the airplane could do one outside corner at 3G to level flight, roll rightside up and belly land to a stop, maybe. The G limits require no structural deformation, if it would survive (wings and tail stay on the fuselage) it might make it but with much deformation to the structure!

The way I understand the "stunt" in the movie is that it has a jammed stabilizer/elevator like the Alaska Airlines crash of Santa Monica Bay in 1988 or so (which did do an ouside bunt to inverted and stay relatively intact until impact), and the movie makers probably liked the 1970 Hullavington World Championships story of Neil Williams saving the day when his Zlin broke an lower spar boom and he flew inverted to the grass and then performed a perfectly timed slow roll to meet the earth gently enough to survive as the wing collapsed. According to my friends that have seen the movie the timing is all wrong for the scenario but agree it's the best scenario.
Chris...

P.S. There is no such thing as "intense" turbulence in aviation, there is Light, Moderate, Severe, and Extreme. Extreme is defined as damage is taking place to the structure and Severe means the airplane is momentarilly out of control. Moderate displaces things about the cockpit, Light doesn't do anything but move the airplane a little. Most times airline pilots turn the seat belt sign on because of much less than Light turbulence.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend (no longer alive due to old age) that helped start Japan airlines.. He once rolled a 747. Was teaching and pulled an outboard engine and the student did the wrong thing, it started to roll and you can't just roll it back and stop or it will shear the engines, so he went all the way around and then stopped it. Lost over 25000 feet doing it he said, but lucky he started at about 40,000. It was a long time ago and it sounds way too much, but I heard him tell the story many times and it never changed. I was reading the encyclopedia of aviation many moons ago when I was in High school and I saw a picture of a B-17 in the war, and wouldn't you believe, it was him in the cockpit. That was too cool.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Lnewqban

Thanks for all the responses and the extraordinary story of Flyboy's post.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That guy was amazing to listen to. Wish he was still alive. He needed to write a book, Had to ditch in a b-17 once, and way wierd stories.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! Now I don't have to waste my time and money going to see another made for hollywood movie I'll wait for the netflix release. I got to meet a B-17 ball turret gunner who plane was shot down over france on his 2nd mission. He survived the initial attack of a 190 and after climbing out of his turret wounded he found most of the crew dead, and then the plane rolled over and the tail snapped off. He managed to crawl his way to the tail and open his chute and throw it out the hole and was pulled from the plane, barely 1000 ft from the ground. He broke his ankle on impact but survived the rest of the war as a POW. In the 1980's he met the German pilot who shot him down.Now that's astorythat would make a great movie.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Boeing test pilot Tex Johnson rolled the 707 on a demo over Lake Washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vHiYA6Dmws
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lockheed C130's have been rolled and looped. Most airliners and cargo aircraft can take the G's if lightly loaded as the stress limits are for aircraft at or near gross load.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
eddieC

Most airliners and cargo aircraft can take the G's if lightly loaded as the stress limits are for aircraft at or near gross load.  
Uh,... sorry, no.  Load limits apply to fixed items of the aircraft, not just the wings and such. By 'taking the G's', do you mean a bit higher G to reach the load limit at gross? If so, then no.   
Most airliners are stressed for +2.0, -0.0 G.  The fixed items, like engines, batteries, etc., still feel their normal weight, so 2G is 2G. The airspeed may vary based on weight for certain maneuvers. Review maneuvering speed and limit load factors. Q:  In turbulence, can you go faster, or slower, if the airplane is lightly loaded ?
Can you post proof on the C130 aerobatics?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Most airliners and cargo aircraft can take the G's if lightly loaded as the stress limits are for aircraft at or near gross load.
Uh,... sorry, no. Load limits apply to fixed items of the aircraft, not just the wings and such. By 'taking the G's', do you mean a bit higher G to reach the load limit at gross? If so, then no.
Most airliners are stressed for +2.0, -0.0 G. The fixed items, like engines, batteries, etc., still feel their normal weight, so 2G is 2G. The airspeed may vary based on weight for certain maneuvers. Review maneuvering speed and limit load factors. Q: In turbulence, can you go faster, or slower, if the airplane is lightly loaded ?
Can you post proof on the C130 aerobatics?
I have no proof but have been told this by either Lockheed employees or Air Force pilots. By lightly loaded I mean no cargo or passengers, Gross load means at the maximum weight with payload.

Not sure your stress for airliners are correct, I believe it to be less positive and at leastsome negative G. With 0 negitive G then the first turbulance giving a negative G load could crash the plane.

Bob Hoover used to loop a twin engine Aero Commander 500 with the engines off. He never exceeded the 2 G rating of the aircraft.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM
eddieC

I notice you ignored my question and continued on in attempt to justify your guesswork. It shows you don't really know, but have plenty of vague, incorrect assumptions.

I have no proof but have been told this by either Lockheed employees or Air Force pilots.
Then you have no proof, no knowledge of the points made, hearsay you think, you recall? Please spend an hour looking at the regs, they're there for all to see.
FAR 25.337 Transport Category Aircraft Load Limits: A lot of engineering, but boils down to + 2.1G, - 1.0G . This has changed over the years, some can be + 2.5G, - 0.0G depending on date of manufacture and what the maker applied for.
FAR 23.337 Normal Category Aircraft Load Limits: +3.8, -2.0 for most of the GA aircraft out there. Again, can vary slightly by model.

Not sure your stress for airliners are correct,
Really? See the facts above.
With 0 negitive G then the first turbulance giving a negative G load could crash the plane.
You're confusing limit load with ultimate load. Many airliners are certified -0.0G, some -1.0G. Next time you fly, ask the FO. The Captain probably has forgotten.
Bob Hoover used to loop a twin engine Aero Commander 500 with the engines off. He never exceeded the 2 G rating of the aircraft.
The Aero Commander 500-series has a limit load of +3.8, -2.0 as explained above, not '2G'. I fly a 1956 AC 560F in Scottsdale occasionally, very nice airplane with GO-480 Lycomings that snarl like a stock car.

The point I'm trying to make (and which you chose to ignore) is that a lightly-loaded aircraft will reach its G limits at slower speeds. It's one reason one slows down during turbulence.

You really should google some things before posting conjecture.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 AM
rs917

The latest issue of FLYING magazine has an article with the exact same title as this thread. Check it out.
In the meantime, here's my explanation....
There's a big difference between rolling an aircraft and flying it inverted for an extensive period. ANY aircraft can roll if the pilot is good enough and there is enough altitude. A properly executed aileron roll is a 1G maneuver all the way around, something many people miss. Ask any aerobatic pilot.
As demonstration, here's Bob Hoover doing it, and EddieC has already posted a link to Tex Johnson rolling the B707.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp2Uc9XvmjY
(notice how much he has to pitch up before rolling so as to not be in a vertical dive after losing so much altitude in the roll)
However extended negative-G flight, i.e. any flight attitude where the airframe is "unloaded," is not possible in all airplanes. The engines are usually the limiter here (jets flame out, props just sputter and quit from fuel and oil starvation).
Beyond the engines, the wings and elevator authority are the limiters. Since wings create lift best when the curved side is on the top, and most aircraft have a flat-bottomed airfoil to some degree, it requires a LOT of down elevator (forward stick) to create enough angle-of-attack to create enough lift to support the airplane when inverted and the flat side is on top. This is why aerobatic planes have symmetrical airfoils. Do some quick Googling on the differences between the flat bottomed Citabria and Pitts S1-C versus the symmetrical Decathlon and Pitts S1-S.
In the case of the Decathlon, it sacrifices climb performance because of the extra drag, but completely outperforms the Citabria in inverted flight (some say it climbs equally well inverted, but I can't verify that anywhere).
So to sum it up, since the engine flamed out in the movie (I think?), it comes down to whether or not the MD-83 has enough elevator authority to maintain a reasonable descent rate, let alone level inverted flight. Personally, I highly doubt the MD-83 has what it takes, but I'll let those who have actually flown it speak.
NB: The aileron roll is not to be confused with the slow roll or point roll, which are completely different maneuvers and are definitely NOT "coordinated" or 1-g maneuvers. Just FYI.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 AM
rs917

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban
The plane goes into a steep dive, and after exhausting all other options, Whip rolls the plane into an inverted position to bring it out of the dive and then maneuvers the plane right-side up just before crash-landing in a field.
Just saw this...sorry, haven't seen the movie.

As per my post above, I DO NOT think that it would be possible to bring any large airliner out of a dive by flying inverted. Reference my points on airfoil shape, etc.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Lnewqban

Most airliners are stressed for +2.0, -0.0 G. The fixed items, like engines, batteries, etc., still feel their normal weight, so 2G is 2G. The airspeed may vary based on weight for certain maneuvers. Review maneuvering speed and limit load factors. Q: In turbulence, can you go faster, or slower, if the airplane is lightly loaded ?..........The point I'm trying to make ........ is that a lightly-loaded aircraft will reach its G limits at slower speeds. It's one reason one slows down during turbulence.
Thanks for your posts; very interesting.

However, the quoted sentences confuse me.

Mass is mass, weight is a force and G is an acceleration.

g is the gravitational acceleration (32.2 ft/s/s).

For bodies accelerating, decelerating or turning, additional G is generated.
That additional G can oppose or reinforce the natural or gravitational acceleration.

Any body accelerated to 2G will "feel" twice its "natural weight".

Since "one slows down during turbulence", shouldn't an aircraft "reach its G limits" at higher speeds instead?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Lnewqban

Great video and post, rs917 !!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

Most airliners are stressed for +2.0, -0.0 G. The fixed items, like engines, batteries, etc., still feel their normal weight, so 2G is 2G. The airspeed may vary based on weight for certain maneuvers. Review maneuvering speed and limit load factors. Q: In turbulence, can you go faster, or slower, if the airplane is lightly loaded ?..........The point I'm trying to make ........ is that a lightly-loaded aircraft will reach its G limits at slower speeds. It's one reason one slows down during turbulence.
Thanks for your posts; very interesting.

However, the quoted sentences confuse me.

Mass is mass, weight is a force and G is an acceleration.

g is the gravitational acceleration (32.2 ft/s/s).

For bodies accelerating, decelerating or turning, additional G is generated.
That additional G can oppose or reinforce the natural or gravitational acceleration.

Any body accelerated to 2G will "feel" twice its "natural weight".

Since "one slows down during turbulence", shouldn't an aircraft "reach its G limits" at higher speeds instead?
A lightly loaded aircraft can reach its "G" limit at a lower speed because it can "accelerate" or change directions quicker than it can if heavily loaded. I think we are confusing "G" with wing loading.
Maybe this analogy will help: At the same airspeed, a fully fueled and ordinanced F-15 can not turn as quickly as an empty one can. Thus, the empty F-15 can reach the same G load as the heavy one at a lower speed than the heavy one.

Same concept as a race car in a corner. Say a Porche 911 and a Lincoln Town Car both turn as sharply as they possibly can at 120mph. The Porche is lighter and will turn sharper than the Lincoln, so it will achieve a higher "G" force in the turn. Hope that explaination helps.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
eddieC

Good explanation, Jerry, thanx. 

Aircraft have a limit known as maneuvering speed which is the speed below which, should one encounter turbulence or move a control rapidly, the aircraft will stall or components (engine mounts, control surfaces) will not be harmed/bent. Above that speed, damage could result. Related to that is also limit load (the G limits we're referring to) and 'ultimate load', IIRC 150% of limit load for GA aircraft, where really bad things happen (wing failure among others). The difference between the two: exceed limit load, and things will bend. Exceed ultimate load, and you depart this veil of tears. I've seen aircraft that exceeded limit load, one had a fuselage that had a twist in it near the tail. That guy was very lucky. 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Exactly right EddieC. I don't remember the flight number, but there was an Airbus a few years ago, I believe a 380, with a composite tail that came off the plane because the pilot was above "manuevering" speed and cycled the rudder back and forth in an attempt to get rid of vortex turbulence. I don't think the elevator surface was composite, but the rudder was. If the elevator surface is composite, I highly doubt it would withstand inverted flight. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Just face it. No way could that be done. No upside down airliners. They were designed to carry a lot of weight right side up.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
RV7guy

I have a Van's RV7. It is aerobatic and rated at +6 -3. I have a G meter in the EFIS. I have logged +4 G's in turbulence. I would think that airliners would be rated for greater than +2 G's.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rino

Just face it. No way could that be done. No upside down airliners. They were designed to carry a lot of weight right side up.

The problem with inverted flight in a jet airliner is not the G loading as much as it is that the fuel pumps are in SUMPS and will not pump fuel within a few seconds of
any negative G loads.

Boeing tried to circumnavigate that with the B-47 Stratojet (Here 1200+ hours and 3+ years combat-ready) but when pilots had to transfer fuel now and then for LOAD factors, the machine simply blew up when the pumps were turned off and then restarted to move small amounts of fuel from an "empty" tank to another tank. The B-47 was extremely CG sensitive. Boeing had to reset tanks in a sump. AFAIK, all jet airliners are so configured. (Here, 727, 737, DC-8 and DC-10) Now the only real blunder there, is the hydraulic system in the DC-10, absolutely criminal! OOPs, there was the Boeing 737 100/200 yaw-damper problem. Another one washed over. $$$$ do wunnerful things!!! [&o] [&o][:@] Oh Yes, I have heard all the FAA BS. Don't waste time trying to rectify their BS.

BTW any pilot could do a decent barrel (maybe a lttle tight) roll using not more than 1.5 G load throughout the maneuver. There is no negative G in a barrel-roll.
Aileron roll is another story. In an "airsow roll" there will be a moment or so negative G, but not any appreciable amount. I only ever did one formation airshow, and that was in a T-33. Whole 'nother ball game.

BTW in most machines, limits of Rolling Gs are less than Positive G limits and negative Gs are the least of all. Back in my time for combat machines, fighter types was 7.3 Positive, 4 rolling, and 3 Negative. But that was a LLOOONNNNGGG time ago. Feb. 1968 to be exact. [>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.