Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Airplane Pilots next 20 years.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airplane Pilots next 20 years.

Just recently received my April, '13 RUPANEWS. This is the Retired United Pilots Association. There is a lot of stuff concerning the Retirees yes I am one and a lot of interesting both personal and business information.

I thought that just maybe some tidbits would be of interests to active pilots and wanna' be pilots.The mag. is 45 pages. My inputs here are simply short paraphrased topics from longer discussions and articles. All info. here is from that magazine.

CEO Jeff Smisk came from Continental Airlines in 2010. His salary then was 4.4 million dollars that year. As United Continental Holdings, Inc. completed its first full year, 2012, his compensation soared to 14.7 million dollars.

The 2012 Boeing Pilot and Technician Outlook, a respected industry forecast of required aviation personnel, cites a need for 460,000 new pilots and 601,000 new maintenance technicians over the next 20 years.

Boeing announced it will relocate all full-flight simulators and other services from Seattle to Miami FL, starting with two 787 training suites.

In another article, Boeing states that the industry will need 4000 part 121 pilots (ATP) each year. ( Total years not mentioned in this discussion)

Lots of funnies such as a rather long article by a seasoned flight attendant stated in two different areas: (1.) new short skirt uniforms: "Perhaps United Logos on crotches would be a nice additional marketing tool." (2) Complaining about help distribution: "Economy (class) workers volunteering to help in Business and First Class will be as rare as intelligence in United's management."

In my opinion reading this issue, I think that UAL "mamngement" has not improved since I left 17 years ago. [8D]
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Airplane Pilots next 20 years.

I remember when I started flight school a long long time ago. They said all this crap about pilot shortages and the need for pilots and there were not enough pilots and the huge money pilots made.

Hate to say it but it was all crap. There has never been a pilot shortage, and probably won't be. There are a lot of pilots out there who fly for free for a few years to get enough hours to apply, and then don't make it. Many pilots make great money after they have been there forever, but not all. All that get hired will fly for next to nothing the first couple years and get raises over the next few, but you don't start making really good money for many years, and every airline pilot you talk to whines about being under paid any more.

Its the best job in the world next to private jets if you can make the cut!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly corporate (25+ yrs) and all my airline buds are itching to get out before the bottom drops further. 
Corporate isn't any better, either. You may hire into a great department, only to have the company get bought out or merged which may put your job in jeopardy. Then there's fractional ownership; instead of acquiring needed aircraft, some companies buy a share of a jet. This can kill a department's growth. The days of retiring from a corporate flying job after 20+ years with a decent pension are pretty much a thing of the past. The execs are scooping up most of the funds for themselves. 
Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This bull has got to stop.. When are we going to do something about it? Every corporation is doing the same thing. Sooner or later we have to make it clear that these greedy SOB can`t do what we do and if not for us they would be nothing. They Can`t do the days work that we do ,no way no how. We need to Re unionize and make them come crawling to us on their knees after their stocks take a swan dive off a cliff. Trouble is uniting to get it done NATION WIDE. What are they going to do , hire Mexicans to do everything ?