Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Alaska Bush Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM
W.E. Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska Bush Pilots

Hopefully someone will know.......

I recently acquired a book written in the mid 50's by Mr. Karl-Age Schwartskopf. The book is about a bunch of bush pilots in Alaska. The author claims his book is based on true facts, although he may have altered the actual locations in his book. Anyway, the bookmentions

- A moose called Willie. Willie would stand on the runway as the aircraft was landing. Williewould step aside only at the very last moment.
- An old native Indian that would keep tabs on things by positioning himself just beyond the end of the runway.
- A sabotage directed at a uranium mine
- When flying uranium ore from the mine, only float planes (JU 52-3M) were used.There were two lakes, both too small.The lakes were separated by a short landstretch (30 feet?). While taking off, the pilot would use one lake as a start and thenleaping like frog over this stretch of land, continue tha take-off run on the second lake.
- A native indianthat had to undergo surgery (removal of the appendix)on board a Junkers 52-3M while en route to Fairbanks.
- A dead bear that wasn't so dead after all, but that was already on board when it woke up. A second plane with anotherhunterthenflew in formation,with thehunter finally putting an end to the bear.......all of this during flight......
- One pilot crashed hisplane, survived but had to be rescued. The pilot that recued him had to staveoff timberwolves in that process.
- During a wedding ceremony, there was a sudden emergency in form ofa forest fire. No time tochange clothes here. The bride, groom and all the others had to pitch in just as they were dressed.

Fascinating redaing,I mustadmit that. But did these things REALLY happen?

Doug
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alaska Bush Pilots

Doug:

I flew in Alaska for an aggregate of about 14 years. I flew Helicopters, light twins, Cubs, F-27s, Boeing 737 and 727 and never herd any of these stories. Now, having said that, I don't doubt a one of them happened. The bear that woke up en route happens every couple of years. Alaskan pilots are a resourceful bunch and deserve all the respect possible. It's a harsh environment and small mistakes can kill easily.

If you're lucky, "Cloud Dancer" will pick up on this an may even know Mr. Karl-Age Schwartskopf.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I have a book packed away, 'Tales of an Air-Faring Man' IIRC. Fascinating read by an early bush pilot with very believable stories. I'll bet those are true.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM
W.E. Fan

Okaaayyyy,

So PERHAPS there is some truth to these stories. I did have my doubts though, and still do. This is why....

- Mr Karl-Aage Schwartzkopf was definitely an adventurer that liked to live on the edge. During WWII, he was instrumental in helping Norwegians escape from Norway since some Norwegians found themselves caught between a rock and a hard place. The German occupants on one side, the advancing Russian Red Army on the other. He also liked to travel to hazarduous places like Northern Africa and Algeria during the uprising against France. On another occasion he was held captive in the Kashmir region (don't know which militaryforce that held him as captive though).

- During the mid 50's he spent a month or two in Alaska where he was visiting Swedish gold miners (gold prospectors?). Those that were stillleft that is. Since these gold diggersor gold prospectors would livenear where they had their find (whichI suspect would have been somewherein the sticks), his only way of quickly getting from point A to point B would have been by air. This is where the Alaskan bush pilots could be expected to join the action.

- So, what have we gothere then? Well, a Swedish happy-go-lucky typeof person who likes adventure who meets a number ofloosey-goosey Alaskan bush pilots. Did they have a good time together? I'd think so. Did they get alongjust fine? Definitely. Did Mr. Schwartzkopf tell the Alaskan bush pilots about his adventures? It would have been remarkable ifhe didn't. Did the Alaskan bush pilots in turn inform Mr. Schwartzkopf about their experiences? It would have been natural for them to do so. Mr. Schwartzkopf would no doubt havefound their stories exciting but.........were theytrue? Or were they actually based on true events, sort of- but subjected to anumber of "improvements" over the years?

- The book was published in 1956, but there is nothing mentioned about the actual year when a certain event took place. So youcannot tell if a specific story dates back a couple of decades or more. Stories that mentionaircraft types like the Junkers Ju 52-3M would at least indicate a possible time limit but even then, you just would not know which year theevent may have happened.

I have followed the suggestion of inquiring with Cloud Dancer, but got no answer yet. He may be very busy at the moment though, so for nowI'll just wait.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Magnafique

Hey Chip, did you fly for Northern Consolidated and then Wien???? I worked for Wien for almost 20 years in Anchorage.

Thomas Kenny
Seaside Oregon
Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Chip_Mull

Nope. I started flying for Wien Air Alaska on 26 December 1974. The merger was well over by that time. Then I was caught in the infamous "Flood of '84" when Jim Flood decided to fornicate numerous Alaskans and blatantlyjust shut down the airline.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Magnafique

I sure do remember your name. I started out in 1966 with Northern Consolidated cleaning airplanes. Then when we got the Boeings I moved up through the ranks and ended up as Director of Cargo and Operations Training. Did a lot of weight and balance work with the air crews and our ops agents. Came down here to America in 1989 and worked 20 years for the FAA and now live in Seaside Oregon. I have several RC aircraft both nitro and electric and belong to a good club here in Astoria Oregon.

Nice to hear from you Chip. Tom
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Magnafique

That's a beauty of a Grumman Widgeon you have there. I first started work with Cordova Airlines in Anchorage and then moved to Cordova to work on airplanes. We had five Grumman Widgeons with the uprated 270 hp engines with augmenter tubes. Got to fly in them a lot. Tom
Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Chip_Mull

You may have seen the Widgeon in the Alaska Air Museum. It belonged to Jim McGoffin. I know I slaughter the last name but I can't remember how to spell it. Did you ever work for Wien?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Magnafique

Yes Chip I started with Northern Consolidated in 1966 when we just had 3 F-27's in Anchorage. I started in Fleet Service cleaning airplanes and throughout my career progressed up to Director of Training and Security for Wien. Since I did a lot of weight and balance training and jet performance as well as Hazardous Materials Training the FAA gave me jump seat access whenever it was available. I certainly remember your name just can't put a face with it. I probably flew with you as I traveled a lot to the bush for training and usually rode the jump seat. After the demise of Wien, I started the Travel Academy a school in Anchorage that prepared students to work for the airlines and travel agencies and we also had an FAA certified aircraft dispatchers course. I came to the lower 48 in 1989 and went to work for the FAA for 20 years and then retired to Seaside Oregon. I once got a look at Noel's pilot license signed by Orville Wright in 1921. I loved working for Cordova Airlines first and then Wien. I started flying RC in February of this year and found a great flying club and we have two airfields. One in Astoria and the other across the bridge in Llwaco Washington. Warm Regards, Tom
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 PM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

i just visited alaska recently. i liked the place and been thinking of moving there instead of nebraska.