Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Boeing's B787 Dreamliner now turning to NIGHTMARE. (My Heading!)

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Boeing's B787 Dreamliner now turning to NIGHTMARE. (My Heading!)

Just received my April 2014 "RUPANEWS". That is the magazine published by the Retired United Pilots Association. The following information is a short paraphrase by me so as to not being a copier of the RUPANEWS article as expressed on page 26 of the April, 2014 issue.

The famous Boeing B787 "Dreamliner" has developed some hairline cracks in the wing structures. Dreamliner wings are manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, who state that changes in the manufacturing process may have caused the problem. Some of the aircraft have not yet been delivered. Boeing has been attempting to crank up delivery, but may not now be able to do so. (YUP! Big Business always in a hurry !! ) Article states, "....should major issues emerge, ....., wings or key components of the wings be needed to eliminate the problems."

IMHO, it seems that Mitsubishi claims Boeing's hurry-hurry caused Mitsubishi to change processes and therein develops a problem. Good Ol' Aviation Industry, and Airline management does it again. Now my 41 years in airline and military driving the machines around the sky does make me think that there is always a chance that the machine may have faults not due to the driver or the machine itself! BTDT!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM
chuckk2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mitsubishi tried to take the cheap way out, and got stung!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone notice that some 70 hits on this specific subject but only ONE response. OTOH, there are simple items like "....crosswind landings..." and such that get hits day after day after day. Just not much interest in the real world aviation situations, other than FPV over and over and over.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is the old cliche among many airline pilots: "If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going!"

I haven't read about the wing crack issue, but from what I have read or heard about Boeing in the last few years, it certainly doesn't surprise me.

It seems to be a sad but forgone conclusion that Boeing isn't the company that it once was.

(Hossfly, if you're looking for response volume rather than substance, try starting a thread about something like - oh, I don't know, downwind turns?)

Last edited by Silvaire; 04-08-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 PM
stuntflyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Offsets, Boeing's word for pimping out manufacturing to other countries so that they would buy the completed airliners for their airlines.
The American word is pimping.
Lots of American workers and businesses were unable to bid these jobs, and would've made much better components. After I suggested that Zivko in Oklahoma would've made better fuselages, a female Boeing exec asked me, "how many Boeings will Oklahoma buy". They deserve to go under.
Chris...
Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Offsets, Boeing's word for pimping out manufacturing to other countries so that they would buy the completed airliners for their airlines.
The American word is pimping.
Lots of American workers and businesses were unable to bid these jobs, and would've made much better components. After I suggested that Zivko in Oklahoma would've made better fuselages, a female Boeing exec asked me, "how many Boeings will Oklahoma buy". They deserve to go under.
Chris...
You are looking at the wrong reason for why manufacturing has been outsourced. As long as people keep believing the government lie, and blame it on corporations I guess we'll keep seeing things like this. Hard to employ American workers when unions are in bed with the same politicians that are taxing and regulating corporations into bankruptcy. But hey, everyone wanted "hope and change" right?