Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Full scale flyers....roll call.

I'm jealous! Godspeed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all,

I started my private on Oct 5th, 2004 and got my license on Dec 28th, 2004. Folks who know me were astounded by the speed I got it because I didn't take much time from work to get it. It was really tough doing it in that short period of time in the New England cold.

I got my license on Dec 28th and now have 120 total hours. I have both my complex and high performance endorsements. I have flown Cessna 172, 172RG and 182RG.

Below is a picture of my instrucor and I just after I got my ticket. N7242G is the 172 trainer in the background.

I now have 30 hours of cross country time and am working toward the magical 50 that allows me to start my instrument rating. I'm shooting to start that in the New Year and complete it by the end of next year. I'll start it in the 182RG and plan to check out Multi-engine instrument in a Beechcraft Duchess.

I started a diary of the process, but stopped writing it about 20 hours into getting my license. I didn't have time to keep it all up to date. You can read of my experiences on my web site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Da83365.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	315244  
    regards,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess I'll chime in here as well. Private for 2 years now, and in 12 mos. back to training for an eventual CFII/ME, and will also be taking A&P courses (gotta actually make money, right? ). I love all flying machines!
    #26 Club Saito (2) FA-62's, FA-90TS, FA-120R3, FA-125a
    -Glowhead Brother #2 -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today I introduced my son into flight. Here at Kingston Airpark he took his Introductodtory flight with Drew and loved it. The plane is a (approx) 20 year old Cessna 152 II. My son loved the experience and especialy loved flying over the Hudson River and The Wine Fest. He added that aside from the engine noise and pilots yapping the the comm, it is very peacefull up there. Here are some pics... The last pic is just before touch down with full flaps, and it just seems to hang in the air. Damian did not expext that he would be handed a list to read. I said: "get used to it, if you want to fly you must complete your pre-flight check list. You don't want to be in you climb out and find your elevator is not fuctioning."

Name:	Lj22968.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	323010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84311.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	323011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg94299.jpg 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	323012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sl27333.jpg 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	323013  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BiplaneCrasher

Today I introduced my son into flight. Here at Kingston Airpark he took his Introductodtory flight with Drew and loved it. The plane is a (approx) 20 year old Cessna 152 II. My son loved the experience and especialy loved flying over the Hudson River and The Wine Fest. He added that aside from the engine noise and pilots yapping the the comm, it is very peacefull up there. Here are some pics... The last pic is just before touch down with full flaps, and it just seems to hang in the air. Damian did not expext that he would be handed a list to read. I said: "get used to it, if you want to fly you must complete your pre-flight check list. You don't want to be in you climb out and find your elevator is not fuctioning."
    My son is also crazy about this. He turned 14 this year and he helps me out with pre-flight, radio work, navigation, and sometimes holding her straight and level while I am trying to figure out something. He has decided he wants to get his license and I have told him that he can start lessons 6 months before his 16th birthday. He's already saving money toward his license. After discussion with my own instructor, we decided not to start him any earlier because we don't want him to be in a position where he is ready to solo and he's not allowed to because he is too young.

I see you live in NY state. I'm in NH. I'm busy building cross-country time so I can get my instrument rating in the new year. Have you ever flown the VFR passage down the Hudson river to the Statue of Liberty? I have been promising myself for months that I am going to do it and I have also been saying that I want to do it in the fall. So I am planning on doing it at the end of the month and I was going to take an instructor with me as a pilot for hire so that I can get the PIC time but also have someone to fall back on in case it gets too hectic. What are your thoughts?
    regards,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not a pilot of full scale planes. But some day I will. I would probably go to Embry Riddle and not waste any time if I can affor it. But the way things are now, it may be Damian going there and following my dream instead..... if he wishes of-course. This flight today was half birthday present, and half of my ideals. What I mean by that is taht I want to introduce my son to everything. I did not have that growing up. My son has been with me on many adventures, while truck driving, meeting me when my tours came thru town, and cruising with me while I was working abord a ship. This is just one more step to get him to think outside the 9-5 over structured and boreing life that a lot of us are accustomed to. I want better for him.

(I was a sound engineer for a few years, i still am I guess, but I don't pursue it heavily)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as the Statue of Liberty flight. I would research that heavily. The FAA and is still nervous when planes of anysize come around that area. I don't know the restrictions for sure but I know they exist. I dont want to see you get into trouble, but as you said your instructor may be with you and he will know the way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BiplaneCrasher

As far as the Statue of Liberty flight. I would research that heavily. The FAA and is still nervous when planes of anysize come around that area. I don't know the restrictions for sure but I know they exist. I dont want to see you get into trouble, but as you said your instructor may be with you and he will know the way.
    There's a legitimate corridor down the Hudson. There are reporting points all the way down and I know that there are vertical and horizontal separations that need to be maintained around the Statue itself. The restrictions on flight down this passage were eased quite a while back to allow the tour operators to conduct their flights.

In fact, that corridor is actually quite busy because it runs right under the Class B airspaces for Newark, LaGuardia and JFK. So it provides a mechanism for VFR pilots to get down to New Jersey without having to fly around the Class B airspaces or obtain clearances to fly through.

It's apparently a terrific flight, but from a pilot's point of view, it's pretty darn busy so you have to have your wits about you.
    regards,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi folks,

I've been flying models longer.... but I've had a little over 26 years flying full-size aircraft also. Started on the poor old One-Filthy and have since been lucky enough to fly some wonderful aircraft. Been instructing for 15 years, mostly airline, military and university students. Some charter. Lots of aerobatics, tailwheel and formation. A few "interesting" situations where my students tried to kill me, or I tried to kill myself, but mostly I've survived with little more than grey hair!

Anyway, some photos.....

The Cap 10b was one of two we had on line. I'm the bald guy in the right seat. You can see the wingtips of the other Cap 10b reflected in the rear of the canopy. We were inverted (obviously) in mirror formation about 10 feet apart. My job was the easy one - just had to fly straight and level inverted..... never did like it much though.

The CT4B was a great little aeroplane to fly. Mostly teaching military students to fly, but it was aerobatic and quite overpowered. However, it was also quite heavily loaded (27 foot wingspan and weighing 2600 pounds). Very interesting glide performance - it actually simulated the glide performance of a Mirage III very closely.

The PC6 Turbo Porter was ex Army and we flew it for skydiving. I managed to take 10 meatbags to 12,500 feet and be back on the ground in 16 minutes once.... not bad for an old aeroplane. Lots of fun.

The PC9 ride came about because I was training air force students at the time. That bird was about the most fun I've had with my pants on...

I'm planning on building models of all these aircraft - some day.

Cheers,
    Greg

[img][/img][img][/img]

Name:	Ax73151.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	329845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt63151.jpg 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	329846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61922.jpg 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	329847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80439.jpg 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	329848  
    If you can\'t remember...... the gear is probably up!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I grew up in airplanes. From the age of 3 months I have been in or around some form of flying. From 3 months old to 14 I was passenger in countless gliders.

At the age of 14 (I'm 24 now) I started flight training, learned how to fly the real way (as my instructor use to put it) stick and rudder, fabric taildragger, no electrical system and the minimum FAA required guages. It was a L-2, and I was beat 6 ways from sunday in that plane. I put about 30-40 hours on the L-2 (oh i forgot, since no electrical I had to hand prop the dang thing everytime) I moved on to citabria, almost all my time now is either in a citabria 7eca or 7kcab. I have one hour in a 152 and said i would never fly small spam can again. Have 20+ hours in a cessna 170 (taildragger), 20+ in J-3 cubs, time in a marchetti, sporttiva motorglider, and some time in a citabria 7gcbc (equiped with flaps). Thats all I can think of right now.

Other than the cessna, all my time is in fabric planes, less the time spent riding passenger with my father in the gliders.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lady Liberty from a Bone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started taking lessons at 14, been at it for 10 years now. Currently a corporate pilot flying a King Air 350 and C-340.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is my 71 150 in my back yard. I also have a 57 172 in the hanger. Its nice to be able to fly full scale and RC at the same 3100' grass strip.

Matt

http://w1.rob.com/pix/oops

Name:	Om34154.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	330247  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In reference to my earlier post the plunge has happened, a 1965 Mooney M20c has found it's way into my life. Boy howdy, and the ol' lady thought I had a lot of money tied up in model's!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started flying models at age 15 and full scale at age 16. I love them both.
    My full scale toys can be seen at www.jasonairracing.com

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

asel instrument, A&P. i love airplanes big and small this is my wedding photo pa-28-161 eagle airpark (private) brazoria tx.
    most memorable moment was when i went on a test flight with a chap in a king-air c-90, i worked at raytheon at hobby airport in houston tx. we had just done alot of gear work to it and the test flight went okay until we were on final when it came time for the gear we only got two lights. we must have pumped that emergency handle 500 times but it wasnt working, so we declared an emergency and they called the fire trucks out and about 100 feet over the runway when we slowed to about 120kts the dang light came on!!!!!!!!!! i wont waste anymore time, message me if you want to know what happened

ps. a roll in a rc plane is easier on the body than a roll in a full scale!

Name:	Zx72252.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	342224  
    \" I drive a Pilatypus, its a primative mammal \"
    Peanut butta jelly time!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep I am a self confessed aviation junkie. I got my first RC plane about 3 years back. I learned to fly a 172 a couple of years ago, baby came along early this year so I have had to put full size on hold for a while (flying is VERY expensive in Australia). My RC flying keeps me happy at the moment. I work as an aviation firefighter which is the best job in aviation next to being a pilot. I just love working at the airport, we get to climb all over the aircraft inside and out. It's pretty cool! I also have a ball flying the sim Pacific Fighters online with my pals. www.raafsquad.com.
    If God had wanted us to fly, he would have given us more money!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great thread! I am currently flying a 1946 C-140. Lot's of fun. Also have had the good fortune of having a friend with a beautiful Christen Eagle . I fly as much as I can, between work and the family. Last summer I flew a friend's C-206 from California to Oshkosh, WI for the EAA fly-in. That was a great experience!

Name:	Ki19417.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	343535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79178.jpg 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	343536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns43289.jpg 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	343537  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I'll chime in..I don't know how I got the airplane bug...there were no airports within 300 miles of where I grew up; no hobby stores; not even any books. The only thing was the odd contrail miles up, or the slow rumble of radials coming from a shiny silver speck waaaay up there.. As soon as I was legally old enough to work, I was saving money for flying lessons, somewhere, sometime..Finally in the late 60's I soloed a Fleet 80...it took 2 more summers to get my licence.. by then I was able to afford to rent those fancy metal airplanes with the wheel up front. I hung on airport fences, I scraped barnacles off floats, washed grubby tripacers..anything to be near airplanes! If I could put aside a days pay after expenses, that would buy me an hour's flying time. As you can guess, the hours came slowly...
    Meanwhile, life moves on..my second career was a stint in air traffic control. Being a tower controller at a training airport was an insane career choice! Back then your paycheck depended on aircraft movements, so you tried to keep the circuits tight and fast..the ideal situation was one lifting off, one rolling, and one touching down! Mistakes by student pilots were commonplace and the controller had to be able to unravel them, whilst orchestrating 10 or 15 other aircraft in the zone. Students would call East of the field when they were West; they would land on the wrong runway; taxi across the active without clearance; show up in the circuit unannounced..you name it, I proabably saw it !! I probably saw too much, and even flying lost a lot of its charm...so I packed it all in, and moved on with my life.

Fast forward 20 years..My 10 year old son and I take up RC modeling. This was what I was missing..I could fulfill every fantasy..I could fly a P-51, or a Zlin, or a glider...anything I wanted. Apparently my attitude toward fullscale aviation softened somewhat as I apparently seriously infected my son with the desease! He got a tremendous head start thanks to RC, and Air Cadets. He got his pilots license before he could drive. He is 22 now and has every rating this side of ATP and is flying Navajos for a living. A couple of years ago, he put me in the left seat of a 172 and we fly down to Olympia Wa. It was like getting back on a bike..I was able to do the whole flight chock to chock!! Through him, i get a second chance to help plan a career that I never had..there is tons of strategy and decisions involved to do the right thing that will fit the big picture. I am proud that he allows me to be part of the process! There is no question that he is going to make it!

Name:	Jh15037.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	347455  
    All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can\'t make me happy......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is my current project... Airdromeaeroplanes 3/4 Fokker Dr-1... licensed pilot for 20 some odd years... I have been flying RC longer than full-size and am entering the Kit Building world... I am certified in over 15 types of certified aircraft... should have this project in the air this spring (2006)

John Crisp

Name:	Tq48896.jpg 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	350025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vr53098.jpg 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	350026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51606.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	350027  

Flown models for 18 years, got my ticket in January this year, 3 days after our brand new Sportstar arrived.

My wife flies too, has her ticket in the Sportstar & is learning RC.

I will be modelling the sportstar in either 1/3 or 1/4 scale as soon as I finish a few other projects.

Name:	Jh15727.jpg 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	354114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql35365.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	354115  
    I don't have a flying problem, I can quit flying anytime I like.................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

im checking in- lately i mostly fly 172s, 152s, but am hopeing to build a lacair legacy soon, srry no pics
    woosh.............................BLAM!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm checken in, here is a link to my photobucket, (lookin flying, full scale).

http://photobucket.com/albums/b261/Tripp5050/
    \'\' __|__\'\'
    *-o0o-*

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Currently have just over 200 total hours with a private (ASEL) and an instrument rating and complex endorsement. I'm about a week away from my commercial check ride.

At the moment I only fly Piper Arrows (PA28R-201) and Warriors (PA28-161) but I'm at a part 141 school working towards a career as a professional pilot.
    Maintain thine airspeed, lest the ground come up and smite thee.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What the heck.....I'll bite. Soloed in a Piper PA-12 in 1971 at the age of 16......I probably had a hundred hours before solo, but had to wait for 16. Back then, that Super Cruiser rented for 10.00 per hour! You could go to the airport with three dollars in your pocket and shoot three touch and go's. I used to cut grass there for flying time. Finally went to 141 school and after a year and a half, the job outlook was so bleak I dropped out. Went to work at Sig for a couple of years, then worked in the printing industry for 10 years. I now build wind tunnel models and RPV's for a living. And I still fly!!! I have a Stearman that I will get rid of only when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the stick. Yes it is expensive to operate, but everytime I start that radial......I still get a chill.
    Jeff Foley
    Team Horizon

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast