Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Full scale flyers....roll call.

I got the aviation bug at Airshow in 1939. when I was seven. Started building models then . Took my first flight in a 7AC champ in 1948.Started working on real Aircraft in 1949. Entered Navy in 1951. Finished my trainning as Airframe Mech in April 1952. Assigned to Blue Angels then . I was assigned to VF 111(Sundowners) in 1954. Got out of the Navy in1955. Started building models again, then in 1960 built my first R/C. In 1968 got my Pilot certificate. Also My A&P. Restored 35 planes until 1988. I have flown most of the taildraggers that are around. I have owned three planes over the years. 1940 Tcraft, 7AC champ, and 1946 Ercoupe all of them I restored.Over the years while working as a Mechanic I still built Models. My Picture was on cover of Model Airplane News April1967 with the Pattern model I designed . I was a member of theCAF for ten years. I was able to fly in many airshows then, flying trainner aircraft. I have flown J3 to T33 jet also World War 2 Bomber. My son and I are building A Zenair 701 now .I am 73 and still working and flying real Aircraft and models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Currently flying a 1953 PA-18 SuperCub. It was an L-21B originally, part of the lend-lease program with Italy. A bunch of fun.

I've only got about 130 hours in my book, but got time in several planes including 172s, a 150, Cherokee Cruiser and a Grumman Cheetah. Of those, the SuperCub and Grumman Cheetah are my favs.

-Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49834.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	366265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50224.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	366266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30317.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	366267  
    R&R Custom Graphics
    http://www.rrcustomgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have around 23 hours of training. C152, 172, Piper Arrow, and Aeronca Champ. Currently flying a WW S2

Name:	Bz78551.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	366355  
    The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    --Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

close to 1,000hrs since 95. PA18's, 12's and 22's. 150. 172, 180 and 182. few hours in a DHC-2 and a few in Turbine DHC-3. Love the Turbine Otter..performs like a cub on floats.
    www.depronalaska.com
    www.peninsulamodelers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew this beast from 1972-1983.

Name:	Pn37349.jpg 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	367497  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been at it for about ten years and Fly a Citation Excel for a private company. So far so good, beats working for a living!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Having had a fondness for all aspects of aviation, I was tinkering with model airplanes ever since way back. The idea of flying full scale was always with me although the last 10 years or so has been very happily occupied with skydiving. When computers caught on and were becoming mainstream, I discovered flight simulation and enjoyed many hours flying the computer as countless aspects of full scale aviation revealed themselves to me. It dawned on me that the natural next step for me was to get into a real plane and learn how to fly. Ironically, I ended up taking lessons at the same tiny airport where I did my first skydive and where I practiced on the simulator when I was ready for a bigger challenge, "1N2". With a 2,400' runway and a high standing row of trees at the end of runway 18, it was pretty challenging and the first few days of attempting to land there looked to me like it was something impossible to do. I recall taking a deep breath every time I turned to base leg anticipating a sickening feeling of helplessness and wondering if I was actually learning anything. Gradually and with steady progress, I had more and more input on the controls until finally, one day I actually landed that Cessna 172 at that "impossible" airport without the instructor ever touching the controls. I recall my ankles and knees shaking during the run-out and it was one of the most incredible feelings I've ever experienced in my life!

With about 40 hours under my belt and several hours of soloing, I'm looking forward to going for my license (at least as soon as I get the written stuff memorized).

Having been in such close contact with full scale aircraft, I was noticing all the details and somewhere in the back of my mind, I was formulating ways of duplicating that detail in miniature. Suddenly I found myself back in the world of model aviation having purchased a TF Cessna Skylane kit and for the first time ever, making my attempt at scale. I got an inspiring eyeful of all those pretty, shiny full scale planes and I'm hoping to capture that image in the model I'm working on, almost right down to the last rivet.

Regrettably, civilian aircraft are apparently far from being in the mainstream of modeldom and I think I'm beginning to understand why that is so. Be that as it may, I hope to share my enthusiasm for both full and 1/5 scale civilian aviation with like-minded individuals within this forum.

Name:	Ol31362.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	368045  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Checking in - un-licensed private pilot = well thats very private for a pilot... a couple of hundred hours in single and twin engine spam cans - doing everything from preflight to puting the air intake covers back on - without a logbook ofcourse. a few more in four self designed homebuilts flown from farm patches - it was back in Pakistan where everything goes. Now I am in Ireland working on my PhD and fly Rc most evenings. No airplane now but am looking forward to buying something basic sometime next year.
    May the sky be always blue as you fly across it, and may the earth rise softly to meet you at your destination

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all. J-3, C-150 and 172 driver here. Flew for a while until my local airport Evergreen Field (59S) was unable to keep the rental system going and was encroached upon from all sides. Will get current again when my youngest daughter graduates from High School.

Best regards

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have just started! My wife bought me flying lessons for my 40th. Smart girl, my wife! I've had 2 so far on a 150 but I'm going to swap to a Piper Warrior as my instructor reckons it's a bit easier for learning. He also said that you can't beat a 150 for cross wind landing practice though. It's still a bit daunting but hopefully I will solo soon and then get mt PPL by the end of 2006, work, family and RC permitting!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ozspit

I have just started! My wife bought me flying lessons for my 40th. Smart girl, my wife! I've had 2 so far on a 150 but I'm going to swap to a Piper Warrior as my instructor reckons it's a bit easier for learning. He also said that you can't beat a 150 for cross wind landing practice though. It's still a bit daunting but hopefully I will solo soon and then get mt PPL by the end of 2006, work, family and RC permitting!
    C-150s are great, I solo'd in a 69 150J. Loved that airplane, very nimble, kinda like a go-cart. A little tight for my 6'-4" frame, but okay.... and cheap!
    R&R Custom Graphics
    http://www.rrcustomgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lear Jet 23,24,25,31,35,40 and 45. Cessna Citation 111, 1V and V. And of course model airplanes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Checking in! I have been flying as long as I can remember. I grew up as an air force brat and planes were my toys from day one. I spend most of my time in our (my father and myself) Cessna 210, but I also frequently get behind the stick of a Piper Supercub, PT-17 Stearman, and a few different T-6 Racers including Felix, Two of Hearts, and Frostbite. Here are a few pics of the fun.

Name:	Ge94608.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	389142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc92938.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	389143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk16125.jpg 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	389144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jc86438.jpg 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	389145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Te47889.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	389146  

To most people the sky is the limit. To a pilot the sky is home.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am currently a student pilot. Hoping to take my check ride in the next month though! I mostly fly 172r's but the second pic is in a Diamond Katana.

Name:	Ge96937.jpg 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	389259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94854.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	389260  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gunnut

I am currently a student pilot. Hoping to take my check ride in the next month though! I mostly fly 172r's but the second pic is in a Diamond Katana.
    Good luck on the ride. Keep up the work, you never know when you may get a ride in a warbird or classic round motor.

Nice pic out the window of the Katana.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good job at keeping the ball centered !! VSI shows a slight climb, though...
    Best of luck on your ride. Enjoy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my license in 95 along with ATP Dispatch but I left it because I fancied engineering more. I haven't flown in about 4 years, wow longer than I thought, but I'm looking into getting checked out on a Cessna 210 to help a buddy fly pipelines when he gets too busy to do it himself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Private Pilot since 1988. My wife also got her ticket too. It was great doing this together. Kids and college took a lot of money, so flying was sparse, but the fact that we did it will always be something to look back on.

She also got me an hour of stick time in a T-6 for a birthday present. Full aerobatic ride, with me at the stick at least 90% of the time!

What can I say, I like FAST! Me on my silver GSX-R1000 also.

Some people ask me if it's a mid-life crisis. My wife will confirm...it's been an ALL LIFE CRISIS... I've been into planes and bikes all my life.

Name:	Jh15864.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	389359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ws56390.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	389360  
    F-27Q, SU-26, Mosquito Mk Vi, Radian, Radian Pro, Blade MSr, Blade MCPx, Superstar, Mini Ultra Stick, 50mm EDF F-22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LowFlyBye

ORIGINAL: gunnut

Good luck on the ride. Keep up the work, you never know when you may get a ride in a warbird or classic round motor.

Nice pic out the window of the Katana.
    Thanks! I am fascinated with warbirds (aren't we all?) Here are some of my grandfather's pictures. He flew F6F Hellcats in WWII. Thought I would share these pics with you all.

Name:	Vs55614.jpg 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	390420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt59817.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	390421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30281.jpg 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	390422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cw62952.jpg 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	390423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv16385.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	390424  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ar11445.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	390425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ac64857.jpg 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	390426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ml38096.jpg 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	390427  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am 15 and not a certified pilot yet, but I plan to be. I have already soloed in an SGS-233 Glider. My family owns a Piper PA-16 Clipper. Lately I've gotten into aerobatics after a flight (I got to fly it!!!!) in a Sukhoi SU-29. Since then I have been doing aerobatics in a Super Decathlon. Last time I flew it I did a little airshow for the guys at the airport I live at. I LOVE AEROBATICS!!!!! My dad is active duty in the Army and flies VIP's in Cessna Citations. I plan on going into the Navy and becoming an F/A-18 pilot. My dream is to one day become a Blue Angel. Like I read on an earlier post, my toys as well have been airplanes since day 1, and I am so glad that my parents brainwashed me to like airplanes! I couldn't be a kid!!!

SLICK

Name:	Db83663.jpg 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	390523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47550.jpg 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	390524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49515.jpg 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	390525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58272.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	390526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sy63442.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	390527  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20279.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	390528  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Woops, two of those pictures were not ment to be in there, but they still look cool. here are the two I ment to put in.

SLICK

Name:	Ay75783.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	390536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32395.jpg 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	390537  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: slick95

Woops, two of those pictures were not ment to be in there, but they still look cool. here are the two I ment to put in.

SLICK
    I see you were at Osh 2005. Check out my website if you want some more pics of the birds that were there. http://www.twoplaneguys.com/osh2005pt1.htm I took a ton of pics, but did not post all of them. I flew a supercub up there from here in Memphis. It took me 8 hours and 2 fuel stops, but it was a blast. My buddy and I will be taking a T-6 "Frostbite" this year.

Name:	If10438.jpg 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	390592  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is a cool website. My dad, some neighbors and I also flew up from Georgetown, Texas in our planes. My dad and I flew up in our Piper Clipper. It took us 13 hours and three fuel stops on the way up, and 11 hours and 3 fuel stops on the way back. IT WAS A BLAST!!!! Here are some pics. of our Clipper. You may have seen it parked in the Vintage Camping area with a Yellow Taylorcraft (that was my neighbors plane) next to it. When I find them I will post a pic of our camping area. For now here is our plane.

SLICK

Name:	Sq45817.jpg 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	390912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rn39280.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	390913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr40724.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	390914  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been putting off posting in this forum for a while. I guess I should join the club. I started flying when I was 17 after doing an internship at the Athens Ben Epps airport in Athens Ga. I really did not have the money to fly but the owner of the flight service I was working for was gracious enough to give me a couple hours to get started. Then sept. 11 happened. Everything shut down and slowed down. I quit flying for a while and then I picked it up again, I ended up soloing at 19 and then this summer I finally had enough saved up to finish. I am 21 now! Over the course of 5 years I managed to piece my license together and finished at 47 hours. This summer I had probably the best experience ever, a friend and I flew up to Oshkosh for the EAA air venture. It was so much fun! Here are some pics.

Cary
    [img][/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is a pick of my mom and i before we went on a trip to SC

Name:	Fd91694.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	391172  

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast