Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

plane crash in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 11:03 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default plane crash in AZ

2 days ago, a student on his first solo flight ripped the gear off the plane on his first landing, then proceded to fly into a hanger. Woops, can you say don't do that. He came out unscathed, but I would bet his instructor won't be instructing any more or will be going through heck to get re-checked out. Not fun!
Old 01-16-2004, 11:24 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: plane crash in AZ

We had a student a few months ago do touch and gos and ran the C150 out of gas. He flew it into a field and tore the gear out. That was the second accident the instructor had with his planes this year. The first one was when his Pitts lost power on take-off, he did a go around, and landed short on final and ended up in the parimeter fence.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats not hard to believe. I had an instructor working for me went to fly with a student. They put 6 gallons of fuel in and left. They came back and did touch and goes. 1.1 hour into the flight, the engine quit, on takeoff, 300 feet high. Student pulled full up, instructor turned hard left for the runway and they hit the ground hard. Tore the fuse in half, gear off, and flipped it on its back.

After everything blew over and I managed to get the FAA off his back without any repercussion, I realized the guy that flew before him landed on fumes and it was a student. I was pretty mad, at him, and the instructor who didn't stick the tank before flying. Noone had ever shown him that method. He was taught to just look in. Dumb.

I took him up for a checkout before I was going to turn him loose again, had him doing steep turns, when he looked out the left window I turned the fuel selector off. He just about crapped when it quit. I had to make sure he didn't freeze or do the wrong thing.

He only lasted a few more weeks though. Just couldn't get back in the air. He was afraid of the plane after the crash and never recovered. Hasn't flown since.

Kind of a bummer in a way, but he is better off in the long run. He wasn't the pilot type.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look on E*** 150 with wing damage and nose gear, Going to make money on that one!!!