Sweetest sound you ever heard

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:38 AM
TriPacerDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sweetest sound you ever heard

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

THE PROP on the BEAR Looks like a big paddle, must give alot of thrust
Enough to make a beer keg go 500 m.p.h.!

It's a converted Ham Standard from a turboprop P-3 Orion. The Wright 3350 radial puts out over 4,000 horsepower at full chat - with ADI, water injection and nitrous oxide - and a fuel burn of 600 gallons per hour.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Fly-guy

The sweestest sound is an f-111 starting dump and burn i have a pic but cant get the right format how do I?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:19 PM
h-ray-RCA

-SR-71 on takeoff.

-Challenger landing at ED, STS-6. Unreal to see her come all the way in with no more sound than my hang glider after the boom-boom! as she decelerated to subsonic.

-F-4 at low throttle, with the BLC going off. For that matter, Thunderbirds when they flew the F-4. The earth moved.

-Dad telling me he was proud of me in the ICU. I was in full Captain uniform, he died a few hours later. We got to say goodbye thanks to some SWA crews who made sure I got on the 2 flights to get there.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Live Wire

Throwing water on my own fire but people next to our airport are crying Noise!!!!!!!! The airport was there before they were now they are complaning about the noise.
We host the regional air comp here, we have planes based at our air port, but some think it is not something we need in ths area. Bull this is not a retirement town like a lot of people think. Why do people follow the air ports . We moved DIA to cator to the public , now look where the people have move to. And here comes Memorial Day!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

or perhaps the E-I-E-I-O 540? (the farm version)
Old 05-27-2004, 01:58 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

Throwing water on my own fire but people next to our airport are crying Noise!!!!!!!! The airport was there before they were now they are complaning about the noise.
We have that problem too. They bought all the land around the airport, built houses less than a mile off the end of the runway, (cheap houses), and centered on the runway. Now, all the people are whining about the noise. Dumb fools! What were they thinking.

If I had my way, we would do all the test flights on the mig and the L-39 at 7 am on sunday morning. [X(]
Old 05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We had a city commissioner and rich bigwig build his house about 1500 yards from the approach to runway 18. We had a couple of airshows and then he got elected and banned airshows, jets, and twins from landing at the airport then screamed at the FBO manager for not selling enough fuel.

He really got a thrill when a A-26 came in for an emergency. The water bomber got fixed up and at 5:45 am turned into the wind which was blowing from active 36. He locked the brakes and revved up both PWs and practically blew the robe off the commissioner as he stood on his front doorstep to call and complain.

He finally moved after the FBO allowed a 737 to do an emergency landing due to hydraulic failure. When it took off, on a 1900' runway, the pilot hit full throttle while still turning onto active 18 and blew the lawn furniture that was on the front deck of the house through a picture window.

The company that runs the FBO bought the house from the commisioners ex and turned it into the FBO managers residence. He loves the sounds of BIG engines in the morning because that means they need a lot of fuel.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Back in my Navy days "Mail call" was a pretty sweet sound, as was "Liberty call"

I was on a carrier for a few years, and the sound of a Tomcat or Hornet at full military waiting for the shooter to launch him always got my blood pumping. It was a bit dissapointing when the F-14D came on board and they didn't need to launch with their burners lit any more.

Here's a pic of the next generation aircraft carrier if some of our elected officials get their way:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43702.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	137032  
Old 05-27-2004, 05:15 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man Scott, sounds like our stevi airport. Had one build right off the end. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Then whines like heck about the noise. Thats when we started doing a lot of L-29 approaches there. Too much fun!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:32 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ryan:

Yes, the R-985 has a very nice sound. I sat behind one for a couple years in a DGA-15. Best of all, though is TWO R-2800 running in sync, as in an F7F. But I'd settle for listening to a pair in an A-26, or maybe even in a C-46. Best radial engine of all time. The R-2800CE engines in a DC-6B were even rated for a 3000 hour TBO. Show me another radial with a TBO anywhere nearly that high.

Here's a picture of me with a pair of R-2800 engines running very nicely. And it also shows my love for the racket the pancake engines make.

Bill.

Name:	Bz77958.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	137145  
Old 05-28-2004, 08:10 AM
scottrc

Should the props be turning?
I agree, I have been around a few A26s when I was fighting fires in Montana. Quite a sound listening to them go into snow chute on a mountain side to drop Borate.

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Ryan:

Yes, the R-985 has a very nice sound. I sat behind one for a couple years in a DGA-15. Best of all, though is TWO R-2800 running in sync, as in an F7F. But I'd settle for listening to a pair in an A-26, or maybe even in a C-46. Best radial engine of all time. The R-2800CE engines in a DC-6B were even rated for a 3000 hour TBO. Show me another radial with a TBO anywhere nearly that high.

Here's a picture of me with a pair of R-2800 engines running very nicely. And it also shows my love for the racket the pancake engines make.

Bill.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:12 AM
scottrc

One nice thing, well maybe not so nice because it almost caused me to land short, was that his good looking daughter and her friends would sunbath in their bikinis on the back deck. Kinda made it distracting when committing to final.

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Man Scott, sounds like our stevi airport. Had one build right off the end. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Then whines like heck about the noise. Thats when we started doing a lot of L-29 approaches there. Too much fun!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:01 PM
SDR-Hammer

People moving in next to an airport to complain about noise has been going on in this neck of the woods too. IDIOTS! Didn’t help that the mayor wanted to turn the city airport into soccer fields. I think she finally realized if the airport were eliminated some rather large business would move.

In another area a few years ago residents around a small private strip started a petition regarding warbirds, which were being flown by a company that came to town for a short period to sell rides. Well the local press coverage about the noise complaints resulted in the flight company extending its stay an extra two months because of all the extra business.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:54 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to an airshow last weekend at Langley in Hampton,Va and got to see a P-51C and the P-38 "Glacier Girl". The RR Merlin sure sounds good but the twin Allisons in Glacier Girl really sounded good. The heritage flight was a diamond four with an F-15 in front , the P-51C and an F-86 Sabre on wing and the P-38 in trail. Really cool.

Name:	Lj21383.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	137343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82644.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	137344  
Old 06-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Luke 3D returns

Nothing beats a spitfire and hurricane coming over 50ft above your head!!!

Also RAF TORNADO flyby!
You can only hear them once they are past you. When they are coming at you they are completely silent, then KKKAAABOOOM!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:46 PM
physics_nut

I live about a 1/2 mile off the end of a 7k ft. runway (SRQ international) and I personally love it. I'm not centered along the runway, but I definately hear the jets. We don't get much military traffic except for a C130 and Blackhawk from the Coast Guard, other than that it's just a lot of private jets. Lots of the latest greatest from the private jet firms are zipping out of here at full tilt. Probably the most interesting is the L26 (I think) Albatross that's been through a dozen or so times. Usually comes out headed northwest, banks left and does a full power, nearly sideways 180 degree turn to head south or south east. My college campus is right next to the airport, and I've caught glimpses of this guy zipping out at full tilt. I love every minute of it. Saw one military jet, may have been the Albatross, take off headed south east and rolled about a mile out from the runway. Another fun one is the smaller runway has an approach right over the college campus, and the runway starts at about 100ft from the edge of a major highway, so the planes can be down near 50ft occasionally coming over the bookstore on the other side of the highway. People in the store always jump and get nervous, while I run like a madman outside to watch it land.

I just love watching all those planes.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:27 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: N726AC

Rare Bear at full song!

Damn Straight! Nothing beats the sound of the Bear!
Don

Name:	Lj22130.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	139175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59457.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	139176  
Old 06-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Taildragger726

Uhh, Mr. Penney, you are getting sorta chubby there!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:37 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

I grew about 6 inches, too

It's a very tight fit in the cockpit. You definitely can't be carrying an extra 50 pounds of beer fat like I am if you want to race planes.

Don
Old 06-04-2004, 02:59 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

i work at an FBO in nh at pease international tradeport, we have all kinds of stuff coming and going. everynight the howl of the KC-135s doing night op touch and goes is pretty cool. Also the thunder of whats left of Panam's 727 turbojets roaring down the 11,000' runway. My favorite so far has been the formation takeoff and landing of the A-10's. Their turbo fan engines have a very disticntive whine at takeoff power. You hear it from behind your head and you know its an A-10. My favorite though, is the deafening boom of the C-5's doing missed approaches, touch and goes, and full stops. That is one mighty behemoth of an aircraft and it shakes your brains as it meanders by, barely moving.
Although anything that makes noise and flys favorite in my book!!
Sean
Old 06-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Live Wire

Every time you here a sound in the sky you have to look up and enjoy the thrill of flight.You get where you can tell what it is by the sound, and we have a T28 here that has a sound of its own. Sound like it is missing on on cylinder but all it is, is the prop. There are great sound from all over the world keep them flying.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:41 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

i hear that RC outlaw! Everytime i hear a plane, whether at home or at work, i gotta look up!! I even work at an airport, that's alotta lookin', but it never gets old.

sean
Old 06-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Live Wire

You look into the sky and hear the most powerful sound on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Live Wire

THEN the sound of silence.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

The sweetest sound to me (and it STILL makes me stop for a second and take it in, after several years) is the sounds I hear sitting behind the R1340 in the Ag Cat, first flight on a dead calm morning when the sun is just rising over the horizon and the morning mist is still hanging in the low places. The engine, the wind through the flying wires, looking back after the first pass to see a perfect spray pattern settling over the field, it makes me remember why I started flying in the first place. A whole week's worth of bad stuff can be wiped away on that first morning pass. Not too many pilots get to experience that, and I'm darn proud to be one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.