Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Anybody fly Ultralights?

Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody fly Ultralights?

I am seriously considering buying an Ultralight for recreation use. I think I would prefer one like the pic below. ( 2 seater)

Any of you familiar with these?

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36561.gif
Views:	66
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	142190  
Old 06-11-2004, 05:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Anybody fly Ultralights?

Have friends that fly them. Stay out of the wind with them. That gets a little nasty
Old 06-11-2004, 06:17 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Id like to get a two seat one of those things to play around with.. my local airport doesnt like ultralights though...
Old 06-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember, if it is an Ultralight then any flights with two people on board must be for "training." Go experimental category and you're fine in that regard.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:48 PM
AirGar

For less than the price of a new compact car, you can buy one of these. Trailerable, and about 1/2 hour to set-up/break-down.

I love to fly, but I don't want to go through the whole "pilot's license" school. The requirements for these is a lot less time, and money. And cheaper yet, if it's your own plane.

Check'em out.... (click the "Basic Models") I'm lookin' at the Challenger II Special.....

http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/

Gary
Old 06-12-2004, 01:18 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow. those are awesome! Cheap, cruise almost as fast as the warriors/cessna's I fly!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, cheap, but you gotta remember, pilot training trains you to fly it, and consider many things including weather, emergency procedures and such. The little training you get in one of these, and you have to gain all the experience and knowledge based on your own flying and learn everything the hard way. I know more people that have killed themselves in ultralights than anything else because they lacked the knowledge of what to do in a certain situation. I would still suggest at least the ground school for the private pilot licence so you have some understanding of weather and other flight factors.

Yea, they may seem easy and cheap, but you don't want to die because you didn't know the storm was coming or something like that. I have seen the wind go from calm to over 60 knots on the surface in less than 5 miles with mostly blue sky above. You have to learn to read the weather and the guys on the news just don't do. They are wrong more than right and you don't want to be up in an ultralight in the wrong weather.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:23 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

I agree with Flyboy. I had a Quicksilver MXL2 side by side seating ultralight. I did decide to get some lessons before I flew it. I took one 1 hour lesson and realized that there is a lot to flying one of those things. I decided to just "high speed taxi" it one day. I remembered how much speed it took to become airborne with the instructor so I would just stay under that. NOT! I didn't think about what the plane would act like with less weight. I rolled a very short distance and the plane JUMPED off the ground. I found myself at fifty feet before I knew it and the nose was pointed WAY up. I leveled it off and realized that I had to go around at this point. I looked down at the airspeed indicator and realized it wasn't working! Then I looked up to the ballistic shoot pull handle and realized the safety pin was still in it. Now I am freaking out trying to fly a plane around the pattern with out an airspeed indicator and leaning way over the seat trying to take the pin out of the handle. To say the very least I would have givin ANYTHING to be on the ground at that moment. I landed... BOUNCED the plane back down on the runway, the plane turned left and I went straight across the taxi way.

I did finish my training and did receive my ultralight pilots license. (Yes there is such a thing) I had 14 hours of training before I got back in my ultralight. It was the best money I have ever spent. I put 120 hour on it before selling it to buy a full scale plane. I got my ticket in the beginning of March and have logged over 135 hours in my Piper and my Cessna.

The moral of the story is this. I called the ultralight a plane through out the story for one reason... IT IS A PLANE, NOT A GO CART! I recommend taking flying lessons and getting your Private certificate. You may learn how to fly the plane but not knowing how to read weather is what will get you hurt. Especially in an ultralight where weather counts the most. Good luck you will love it!
Old 06-18-2004, 06:33 AM
jettstarblue

254 lbs. empty max weight. 5 gals. of onboard fuel max. 55 knots max. 28(?) mph stall speed max. No license required. One person vehicles, period, the two place are for training purposes, and NOT "ultralights".

Sport pilot will change everything (except part 103) if they ever quit fighting about it, and get it through. This will allow minimal lisencing for two place "low performance" aircraft to be operated with no real medical.

Major proponent of Part 103 ultralights here.
Let me ad my 2 cents.

First, yes, you should get training with them, you'd have to be a suicidal maniac to just "get in and fly" don't ask me how I know. -Yes I was one of those who was gonna teach myself to fly one of these. I finally got some official training. Many people have taught themselves to fly (ask Orville and Wilbur) but why would you?
Self preservation is a good thing, and most folks with any brains won't just go out and fly. Many try, only to find their 10,000 dollar toy destroyed.

I know more casualties from teaching oneself to ride a motorcycle, including deaths.
These (part 103) are considered "recreational vehicles", not "aircraft", and if you crash one the FAA doesn't investigate, the State patrol does.
More people are killed on Lake Erie in one month in watercraft, than are killed in ultralights worldwide in a 3 year period. That's a fact.

They are not all weather vehicles, (or less so than N-numbered aircraft.) Think BIG PARKFLYER.
Definately not a hobby to be entered into lightly, you'll only waste a ton of time and money.

Contrary to popular belief, you can put together a safe, good flying ultralight for under 5000 bucks, and I am currently putting two together that the total cost will be (well) under 5000.
Scrounge, resourse, and do a lot (all) the work yourself. Kind of like models, the more you build from raw materials, the cheaper it will be. the airframe on the wood one I am building is going to cost me less than 500 bucks, minus the covering, paint, engine/redrive. This dollar value DOES include the material to build it up to the "in the bones" stage, 200 for wood/plywood, 100 for glue, varnish, staples. (I know how/where to get aircraft grade wood for pennies on the dollar.)
Fisher, and the old T.E.A.M. planes are just like giant models, and just as easy to build, except for the workshop area.
Any questions?
I can point you in the right direction if you are interested.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:04 PM
AirGar

Would love to hear more about what your building, and how your builiding yours, JettStar.

I just received the info booklet and video for the Challenger, so look forward to that.

I can tell you, there's NO way I would attempt to fly one of these, or any other one for that matter, without some training. I imagine it would hurt plowing one of these into the earth, even if only at 100'.

I'll know more as I get into it a little further. I do think you have to have ground/flight training, and a medical if you go with a 2 seater.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 06-18-2004, 11:45 PM
beavertail

KFalcon, Good choice on getting some lessons before you started flying it, it probably saved your life.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:29 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: AirGar

Would love to hear more about what your building, and how your builiding yours, JettStar.
I'll know more as I get into it a little further. I do think you have to have ground/flight training, and a medical if you go with a 2 seater.

Building one of wood (3/4 scale aircamper) using aircraft grade wood that I have culled from a railroad car full of CWP at Carter lumber, and one of aluminum- it's built from the remains of several people's failed/unfinished projects. Check out www.barnstormers.com for used U/L's and a whole lot more.

Yes, you have to have a pilots license, and medical to fly the two place planes right now. (unless you are being trained by a BFI) and in the (near-ha ha) future, if they ever get sport pilot through, you will be able to fly these type with a "sport pilots" license, and no medical. Check out www.ultralightflying.com for more details on the imfamous sport pilot, and other U/L info.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:43 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I am one of those self taught ultralight pilots. I had been flying models about two years first and it helped me a lot. However my first one was one of those big park flyers with a stall speed of 18 mph!!! No way would I fly in more than a slight breeze. I gradually moved up the ultralight chain to faster and heavier craft. That first one only weighed 180lbs.
The Challengers are great aircraft but you will need a license for thew two place model. Here's a list of the ones I've owned:
Teratorn TA
Fisher FP 101
Ercoupe (licensed aircraft)
Invader MK II
Chinook
Mitchell Wing A-10
Quicksilver MXL (licensed EXP)
I won't go into all the crazy experiences my friends and I went through but someday I may write a book about it. Suffice it to say GET SOME TRAINING!
Then have some great fun.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:12 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I used to be an avid hang glider pilot. I would meet people who could only think about how dangerous it was, but they would also be surprised to find out that you'd take lessons to learn to fly these things, and progress to higher performing wings, more unstable flight conditions etc. as one gained experience. As it was pointed out, it's not a go cart, although they are dangerous in the wrong hands to. That extra dimension added to flight has a very solid lower limit, which means rapid deceleration, whether you go down in a Para Glider, Hang Glider, Ultralight, Private Plane or Commercial Plane, and that rapid deceleration will hurt you.
DKjens
Old 06-21-2004, 08:02 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Just remember that an ultralight can just barely kill you.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:25 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Just remember that an ultralight can just barely kill you.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Dyehard

The Faa granted an exemption to Part 103 for ultralight training and the exemption states that the only time a two seat ultralight can be flown is for trainging. Technically in can't be flown single pilot even by the instructor if no student is aboard. It's rare, but a few peaple have been caught flying solo by the Faa in a two seater and fined for flying an unlicenced aircraft with no annual and flying with no licence and no Bi-annual.
If you decide you want to go with a two seater remember not only do you have to have a licence, you also have to have the two seater registered as an Experimental aircraft. That doesn't involve much additional expence, be it does mean that as the aircraft is built you have to keep a photographic and written record of it's assembly.
Ultralights can be a lot of fun, but I've seen several damaged because an inexperianced or untrained pilot operated it too far outside it's envolope. Be careful and get some flight training.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM
AirGar

Sounds like a single seater would be the way to go?

My initial thoughts were to buy a UltraLight that seated 2, and also something you wouldn't need to spend $6000.00 getting a pilot's license.

A license for UltraLights is considerably cheaper, however, what can you do if you wanted to fly with a companion?

I was looking for something safe, simple, and to be able to fly with company. Maybe it's too much to ask....

Gary
Old 06-28-2004, 03:59 PM
jettstarblue

There is no such thing as an "ultralight license". A True part 103 U/L requires NO LICENSE. Therefore there is none available. You can complete a course, and get a "certificate" that allows you to purchase discounted insurance.
Figure 50-60 bucks an hour, and around 10 hrs. to solo, if you find an instructor who will not keep you strung along- seems to be a problem with most of them, "just a couple more hours, and I'll sign you off"..........
Or you can get minimal licen$ing and fly around with your buddies.
No wonder general aviation is in such bad shape.[&o]
Old 06-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Dyehard

Jettstarblue is right, there are only two types of aircraft, those that meet Part 103 to the letter and those that most be licenced in one of the usual catagories (normal, experimental, etc). If it meets all the part 103 requirments, including only one seat, then no pilot licence is needed. If it falls outside of any part of Part 103, you have to have at least a private licence to fly it and the plane must be licenced. If the Sport pilots licence is ever approved, then you will be able to take some flying with you in a licenced two seater (which would include planes such as my Champ), with much less training than you have to have now and self certification as to your medical condition. Until then you have to either fly by yourself in a single seat Part 103 ultralight or go the whole route and get your licence.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
jettstarblue

ROGER THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:53 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are you looking at me, Kimosabe ?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:49 PM
ULflyman

Hi AIRGAR
I fly a CGS Hawk. I've flown RC airplanes for a long time. I bought a used ultralight last winter. I really enjoy flying it. I think its cheaper than my RC hobby. I took some video from inside while flying my hawk, if you want to see what its like flying one, I've got a website with some free video downloads. http://www.ultralightvideo.ws/ I also have a RC page there with some video of flying a GBZ and my son crashing his RC plane.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:21 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I don't fly them but fly with them. They look like a lot of fun, but scary sometimes as they land. A few short months ago a pilot was killed here at the field due to running out of fuel on take off and trying to turn back to the field to land. That's what I heard anyway.

Name:	Tr50386.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	227445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54061.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	227446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57614.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	227447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40071.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	227448  
Old 02-10-2005, 01:23 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

A few more.

Name:	Zw69520.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	227449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46998.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	227450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48442.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	227451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv61051.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	227452  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.