My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Powered paragliding

anyone do this here. I am so interested in getting into this. ANyone have some insight
Old 09-17-2004, 12:27 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Powered paragliding

I don't have any direct experience, but my cousin was WAY into this. On a trip down here, he brought his set up and I got to watch him cruise around. Very cool. Seemed a little akward to get going but once he was in the air, it seemed very smooth... almost peaceful.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:51 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Powered paragliding

Doing it is not hard, doing it safely is another matter. A paraglider is very convenient, in that it is very light, packs down to a backpack, is easy to transport and is easy and fast to set up and pack down. It is, however, a very very different anymal to fly, than a rigid wing. With a rigid wing speed is your friend, with a paraglider flying fast means lower AOA, which means lower pressure in the cells, which means bigger chance of collapse. Flying slow in a paraglider means higher AOA and higher pressure in cells and less chance of collapse. Just don't stall the paraglider, it will reverse and fly backwards so fast there's a good chance the canopy will end up under you the pilot, the pilot falling into it and getting all tangled up, eventually hitting the ground very, very hard.

I personally would prefer a trike, but if you do go ahead and get a powered paraglider, please do everybody a favor and don't treat it like a toy. Seek somebody locally with knowledge and experience about these and take lessons, more than three lessons.

Good luck if you do go ahead. I flew hang gliders avidly for 7-8 years, ended up at 17,300' one time, oh yeah, with O2.

DKjens