Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Weekend Fly-in

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:10 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Weekend Fly-in

Went to a aero club fly-in this past weekend, was like going back in time to the 40's. Field is about 30 miles from my house, had heard about it but never been there. It's a grass strip about 3500 feet -- 5--23 orientation, hills and woods on both sides and hills and houses beyond arrival end., corn field and few trees beyond departure end. Went to see a L-4 that a guy had just finished restoring. There was also a L-2, L-3, two L-5's, an L-19, T-38, DeHavilland Chipmunk, Maule STOL, Stinson Voyager, Aeronca Champ, Cubs x 3, Super Cub x 2, TriPacers, Ercoupes x 2, two Skybolts and lots more. Tons of low-and -slow flying, flour-bombing a target on the runway Hamburgers and hotdogs. What a great day!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Taildragger726

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weekend Fly-in

Hi Ken, where is that field?? Marion-Shiflet??
Old 10-16-2004, 08:48 PM
khodges

No, it's called Lower Creek Airport, in Lenoir, NC; about as nowheres-ville as you can get, which is how they like it. There's not even a sign at the entrance, the field is down in a little valley, you can barely see a few hangar roofs from the road, IF you know where to look. Personally, I'd move into one of the open hangars tomorrow and use a wing for a roof. Fantastic place.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Taildragger726

Ok, gotcha,, I know a few of those guys. Good crowd.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:39 AM
khodges

It took me a while to realize which field you had asked about (Marion-Shiflet); I know where that one is, too, but have never been there. I live in Newton (just next to Hickory). I'm about 40 miles from Shiflet, about 25 from Lower Creek. There used to be another field here in Newton, it's still shown on some gazeteer maps, but I think it is a subdivision now. Do you fly up here much?
Old 10-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Taildragger726

I lived in Morganton till september of '03, flew out of Silver Creek. I used to fly R\C from Bob's,,,,,
Now in N Ft Myers, on an airpark. Flying full scale and R\C.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:17 PM
khodges

I'm a member of that club-- West Hickory AeroModelers. Been flying since June last year (03). Just got elected club secretary last week. The gang are all still here, flyin' and crashin', crashin' and flyin'. It's been a great summer here, weather-wise, I try to get to the field at least twice a week. Come visit when you can. Ken