Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

How many here fly full-scale?

Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many here fly full-scale?

Just curious to see how many of us are also paying dues to the FAA! Seriously, I'm curious about percentages- how many folks out there started with an R/C trainer, moved up, and eventually tried the real thing?
The following users liked this post:
KenVC (05-28-2021)
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many here fly full-scale?

Well, I went the opposite way.... I started flying full scale back in 1989. Got a little over 3,000 hours now flying cropdusters and pipeline patrol. I just recently started flying R/C, though. It's something I always wanted to try, but just never had the time. Now, I have the time, and I am most definitely hooked!
Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 PM
experimental_pilot

I've got my PPL and glider licenses from the Air Cadets. I plan to study Aerospace Engineering and then join the Airforce to become a pilot. My ulitimate goal is to become a test pilot.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2005, 03:15 AM
wildthing7037

I started off flying RC models when I was about 11, now I'm 16 and I have just flew solo the other day, full-size. It only seemed natural progression to give full size a go, which I did last year, and throughly enjoyed it, so now I have to juggle resources between the two[8D]

Stefan
Old 03-04-2005, 03:29 AM
agpilot24

I fly just about anything. Natural progression, I guess. This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself.
I'm Jason, live in southeast Georgia. My father is a pilot, and my first memory as a child is sitting in his lap while doing lazy 8's in his Cessna 140. I have always been interested with, to the point of obsession, anything that flies.
My short story (very condensed):
When I was about 7, my father showed me how to build a built up balsa model(Guillows super cub) and cover it with tissue and dope....the model still is in flying condition today.....plastic models, paper airplanes, and sub18" balsa gliders dominated my childhood until I was 11....introduced to control line. Magazines at that time featured plans that were large enough to see detail, enough detail that I would reverse engineer and build my own design based on their concept. Built at least 20 C/L designs from 11-14.
At the age of 12, I figured out that it was legal to solo at age 14 in a sailplane. My father agreed to match, dollar for dollar, anything I could earn towards sailplane lessons. I took him up on it and soloed a few days after my 14'th B'day(due to weather) in an ASK-21.
My R/C years started around 13. Slow progression....all own designs because kits were too expensive. Eventually ended up with a 4 channel system and an OS 20 FP that I switched from airplane to airplane when I was 15. Full scale soaring and powerd airplane flying consumed most of my income. I mowed many acres of grass for flying money!!!
Fast forward a few years.....Got my commercial airplane/glider rating, then CFI glider at 18. Decided at 19 that I wanted to be a cropduster. At 19, I bought a Piper Pawnee that I used to fly as a glider towplane, and rebuilt it from the ground up as an ag-plane. Sprayed for a year up in NW GA. Rebuilt another Pawnee for a man down here in SE GA, and the day I brought it to him, he put me to work in it.....been here ever since. I still had my own pawnee, so when after 2 seasons with him, things didn't work out, I started my own thing here.
Ended up as Airport Manager here at 23. Who in their right mind lets a 23 year old take over an airport?! I'm glad they did. I now run a full service maintenance shop(I also am A&P/IA) that specializes in antique restorations along with all the normal stuff. My spraying business is alive and well, though I have teamed up with a man in the next county so that we both can stay busy. Also have a 172 that I do rental and instruction in. Yes, my plate is full! I own along with a friend of mine, a Bellanca Cruisemaster, the 172, and of course, my ol' Pawnee. Have about 6100 hours total....not exceptional for a 29 year old, but not too bad. I have been lucky enough to fly as PIC/solo in 81 different types of airplanes/gliders/ultralights so far.....was hoping for 100 by age 30 but will fall short. Currently looking for a Pitts to buy. S1S, S1T. Looking forward to fun with competition aerobatics.
Hope I haven't bored everyone to death! Just wanted to give a little background. I still fly R/C. My current interests include electric models, the high powered stuff like F5D and F5B along with pure sailplanes, e-sailplanes, and large gas burning models like my Cap231. Have yet to try turbine, but I know it's coming!
In short, I like just about anything that can become airborn.....I work too much, but love what I do. I'm so addicted to flying, I had to create a career just to support my habit!
I'd love to hear from others. Ag-pilots, Airport Managers, Mechanics.
-Jason
Old 03-04-2005, 06:09 AM
skier

I've had a few solo flights and when I stopped in September (due to school) I was about ready for a solo cross country. I have about 62 total hours, mostly in a Piper Cherokee but with a little in a 152, 172, and a Piper Warrior.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Rv7garage

Awesome- I love to hear how people are pursuing their dreams- and that is what aviation is all about!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Taildragger726

here too!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full scale during the week and RC on the weekends. Tough life. [8D]
Old 03-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Lowlevlflyer

Hey Jason, welcome to the RCU. Dont happen to know of any operators down that way that might be needing a pilot this season, do ya? Shoot me a PM if you want.
ORIGINAL: agpilot24

I fly just about anything. Natural progression, I guess. This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself.
I'm Jason, live in southeast Georgia. My father is a pilot, and my first memory as a child is sitting in his lap while doing lazy 8's in his Cessna 140. I have always been interested with, to the point of obsession, anything that flies.
My short story (very condensed):
When I was about 7, my father showed me how to build a built up balsa model(Guillows super cub) and cover it with tissue and dope....the model still is in flying condition today.....plastic models, paper airplanes, and sub18" balsa gliders dominated my childhood until I was 11....introduced to control line. Magazines at that time featured plans that were large enough to see detail, enough detail that I would reverse engineer and build my own design based on their concept. Built at least 20 C/L designs from 11-14.
At the age of 12, I figured out that it was legal to solo at age 14 in a sailplane. My father agreed to match, dollar for dollar, anything I could earn towards sailplane lessons. I took him up on it and soloed a few days after my 14'th B'day(due to weather) in an ASK-21.
My R/C years started around 13. Slow progression....all own designs because kits were too expensive. Eventually ended up with a 4 channel system and an OS 20 FP that I switched from airplane to airplane when I was 15. Full scale soaring and powerd airplane flying consumed most of my income. I mowed many acres of grass for flying money!!!
Fast forward a few years.....Got my commercial airplane/glider rating, then CFI glider at 18. Decided at 19 that I wanted to be a cropduster. At 19, I bought a Piper Pawnee that I used to fly as a glider towplane, and rebuilt it from the ground up as an ag-plane. Sprayed for a year up in NW GA. Rebuilt another Pawnee for a man down here in SE GA, and the day I brought it to him, he put me to work in it.....been here ever since. I still had my own pawnee, so when after 2 seasons with him, things didn't work out, I started my own thing here.
Ended up as Airport Manager here at 23. Who in their right mind lets a 23 year old take over an airport?! I'm glad they did. I now run a full service maintenance shop(I also am A&P/IA) that specializes in antique restorations along with all the normal stuff. My spraying business is alive and well, though I have teamed up with a man in the next county so that we both can stay busy. Also have a 172 that I do rental and instruction in. Yes, my plate is full! I own along with a friend of mine, a Bellanca Cruisemaster, the 172, and of course, my ol' Pawnee. Have about 6100 hours total....not exceptional for a 29 year old, but not too bad. I have been lucky enough to fly as PIC/solo in 81 different types of airplanes/gliders/ultralights so far.....was hoping for 100 by age 30 but will fall short. Currently looking for a Pitts to buy. S1S, S1T. Looking forward to fun with competition aerobatics.
Hope I haven't bored everyone to death! Just wanted to give a little background. I still fly R/C. My current interests include electric models, the high powered stuff like F5D and F5B along with pure sailplanes, e-sailplanes, and large gas burning models like my Cap231. Have yet to try turbine, but I know it's coming!
In short, I like just about anything that can become airborn.....I work too much, but love what I do. I'm so addicted to flying, I had to create a career just to support my habit!
I'd love to hear from others. Ag-pilots, Airport Managers, Mechanics.
-Jason
Old 03-06-2005, 11:13 AM
âûñøåå îäíî

I started flying RC when I was 11 (unless you count a ****y 2 channel rc plane that couldn't fly) I started flying gliders when I was 14 (worked on the line, one days work=one flight) And I soloed before my 15th birthday. Now I am waiting for some good weather to get get back in the air.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
MajorTomski

Have a look here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I started RC when I was about 12, tried for the airforce when I was 18, but they said I would never fly anything because I am color blind. Got my ATP about 10 years ago, and have flown a ton. I have about 6000 hours including WestWind Jet, Citation, Turbo Commander and many light single and twins.

There is not better job in the world.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:39 PM
8KCABrett
My Feedback: (1)

Probably like many of you, I was rather obsessed with aviation since I can remember. My grandfather was an Army Air Corps instructor at Thunderbird Field in the PT-17 Stearman, and he used to take me to the Sepulveda Basin R/C Strip to watch the show (that strip was always packed with awesome planes). It wasn't long before I started flying R/C with a Goldberg Gentle Lady, this was in 1986 and have had a small stable or R/C planes since then. Whenever a full scale ride opportunity popped up I jumped at the chance, but of course I never could get enough. I went to every airshow I could get to, and watched the videos I shot of the aerobatic performers countless times. . . dreaming of doing that, and "knowing that "someday I would do that. . somehow."

In August of 1998 I decided that I had waited long enough, and after saving up the cash I started flight training out of Visalia Muni (KVIS) where my girlfriend had recently moved. The rental rates there were great at 50.00/hr wet for a 1981 PA28181 AKA: Piper Archer (after the $75.00 monthly dues) that most people passed up for the cheaper Warriors, so I moved to Visalia and hit the books, flew a plane that felt like my own since there was little competition for it, and three months later I was a beaming private pilot. I passed the checkride on my girlfriends birthday so after we went to dinner I took her out to San Francisco to see the city at night. . . that was a *really* great day! I did it! :-D

Money ran out shortly after that though, and I was paying for college which seemed like the best way to spend my money so R/C and full scale flying was light for about a year and I saved a little here and there for my flying fund. Things ramped back up and since then I have added complex, high-performance, tailwheel, and Instrument ratings, and any day now commercial and CFI. I have acted as an AOPA Project pilot Mentor for a friend at UC Davis, which was great fun. I also did the Emergency Maneuvers Training Program with Rich Stowell who I had come to know while flying out of SZP. . . his program is one that I think *all* pilots should take, no matter what type of flying you do.

At one point I discovered a PT-17 Stearman at Columbia Airport (O22) that was available for training and rides and decided that my High Performance and Tailwheel endorsements could be done in no better plane than the one that my Grandpa flew. It was great fun, and the feeling of flying the plane that he flew was rather intense, as even though he was a big factor in my aviation passion, he never saw me get into it before he passed away. Open cockpit aerobatics over the Sierra-Nevada mountains . . . that was a pretty good day too that left me elated! (Despite the pounding headache from having a poor fitting helmet and headset that let most of the ample wind and engine noise right in!!)

Since then my primary focus has been making my full-scale aerobatics passions come to life. Shortly after the Stearman flying I joined the IAC (Chapter 38) and checked out in the ACA SuperDecathlon out of Attitude Aviation at Livermore Muni (KLVK) and In 2003 I met Wayne Handley (well, I had gotten his autograph back in 1993 but I guess that doesn't really count) and we did some flying in his Extra 300L out at Pine Mountain Lake Q68 (no E45). I expected to be blown away. . .but nothing could have prepared me for *how* blown away I was by flying that plane, and flying with Wayne!! I ended up working with him at the California International Airshow at Salinas, keeping the Raven looking good, and holding the poles for the ribbon cut. What a great seat to watch an airshow. . . the runway right below it!! Those three days were up there on the top of my list of awesome days too. . .that is until Wayne offered to be my aerobatic coach and trainer which has been an absolute dream come true!

Whoa. . . I guess I got a little carried away strolling down memory lane! I've been known to be long winded when I talk about flying!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Rv7garage

I'm working on my Instrument ticket now, and I plan on having my CFII/ME in three more years- What do you say the chances are for a thirty-year old guy making it?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

my big brother is a pilot for Skywest. He flys CRJ-50's. Hopefully one day i will be were he is and i hope that i will get to go to ERAU like he did. I'm only 15 but i have been hooked on airplanes for as long as i can remember, I finally got a chance to buy my first RC airplane like 2 years ago.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
warhwk

19 hrs on a 152 fulfilling a childhood dream. I've been addicted to aviation since before I can remember.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
LearjetMech

Well I started flying in College back in 92. Got money, flew, ran outta money, didn't fly, got money relearned what I forgot, ran outta money...... All in all I got about 100+ hours and never got my ticket. Got some time in various and unique airplanes, such as a skybolt, Waco UPF-7, Aztec, 172RG, 172, 152, Tomahawk, Warrior, Archer, 150, Luscombe, just to name a few. Took my career path the mechanic way, working for a factory service center on Lears. 12 years later I teamed up with a friend dabbling in the restoration of classic and vintage aircraft. In the last 8 months I have gotten back in the saddle and started flying again, in some really cool airplanes. Got 10 or so hours in a C170, Piper Colt, basic aerobatic training in an 8KCAB (still training in it), some Stearman stick time and became part owner in a 1939 Pre-War Aeronca Chief. I have about 10 hours in this and fly it about 1-2 times a week. Pretty much ready to solo in it but I need to be beat up a little more in some heavy crosswinds. We have a "weak" cylinder (50/80) that we just got fixed and got back today. Naturally the weather has been darn right awesome down here the last 3 days and I have to stare at my airplane with the cowling off and the connecting rod hanging out with the constant buzz of Stearman's, AT-6's, and an occasional P-51 buzzing us (we got buzzed last saturday by one). All in all, I'm addicted to planes!! Here is a pic of a friend's AT-6 that buzzed us.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50572.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	241412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18450.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	241413  
Old 03-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Johnny C!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying RC for about 12 years. I'm sure it was a big
factor that lead to me getting my ticket about 2 years ago.
Learned to fly in a Cherokee 140 that I was part owner of.
Sold it to move into something faster. Still looking for another
partnership. Good ones are hard to find...

I was more nervous on the maiden of my Top Flite giant
P-51 than I was during my solo. Full size piloting is easier
than flying RC, in a lot of ways!

If it's got wings, I like it!

Good Luck!

Johnny C!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:59 AM
h-ray-RCA

I used to be a CFI out at Sonoma County/Petaluma and met Wayne a few times. Class act all the way and I'm glad he fully recovered from his mishap several years ago. Always wanted to be a member of the Pole Holder's Club but missed the opportunity. Him, Sean, Eddie, Vern..... great bunch of guys and I still look back that I was lucky enough to meet all of them and more at the Herendeen Safety Seminars. Vern did not deserve to go. I'm jealous of and happy for you, Brett. (Does Wayne still have his "howeee" stick?)

All:

Let's see..... Cox Sportavia in 1978, Andrews H-Ray 1979-81. Goldberg Gentle Lady, Goldberg Little Tiger, Ace 4-40, Gee Bee Tiger Moth until 1989 when I sold my all gear to finance going back to school. Wills Wing Duck 160 Hang glider 1987-1998, various GA aircraft 1989-1996. ATR-42/72 FO/Captain 1996-1999, Embraer ERJ-135/145 1999-2005 Captain/Check Airman.

Now recovering from triple knee surgery, scheduled to be recalled to my airline in April to fly the 737 with a transition to the 757 this fall. BLAC Gymgallo last December, Mountain Wings Magpie January 2005, 4*40 February 05, and am now about halfway through a DARE JN-4D. Proctor Antic about halfway done that I started after making ATR Captain but never got around to finishing (got married instead, divorced now) But she's hanging on the wall as a nice piece of art. I'll get on her after the Jenny is done, I think.

All because a gentleman named Howard Fee let my best friend and I wash his C-195 when we were 15, then took us up from OAK-Napa and back.

Steve
-yes, I am VERY lucky, and I am VERY grateful for everything.

Name:	Wu60919.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	246356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96634.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	246357  
Old 03-20-2005, 04:19 AM
h-ray-RCA

Stefan, Congrats on the Solo. Welcome to the club.

Flycfii: Senority is everything. The longer you take the longer the odds. If I had been in the class ahead of me I would have not been furloughed for as long, back sooner and more $$$. If I had been 6 numbers junior in my own class I would have gotten messed up royally after they redid our contract post 9/11.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:33 AM
h-ray-RCA

oopsss.... how do I delete this? Sysop? it's ok to kill this errant post.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:42 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

This is me. Four fans of freedom baby!!! Been a pilot since 99, got a couple thousand hours in Hercs.

Name:	Rp42421.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	246821  
Old 03-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: flycfii

I'm working on my Instrument ticket now, and I plan on having my CFII/ME in three more years- What do you say the chances are for a thirty-year old guy making it?
If an airline job is your goal, I'd say you can do it.... I got my CFI at 32, worked another eight years building time and working at my "real" jobs to afford it... Went to work at a Commuter at 40, have flown Bandeirantes, Brasillias, BAe-146s, DC-9s and am now flying MD80s....

The wild card is what the hiring picture is going to be as you get more experience and certificates. It is clear to me that the major airlines will shrink/consolidate/disappear if they cannot compete effectively with low cost carriers Southwest, AirTran and Jet Blue... Right now, a lot of qualified pilots are on the street, and that trickles down the industry. Some of these will retire, some will just bag it, some will persevere.... IMO, the picture will be clearer in the next year or two, with jobs becoming more plentiful in 5 years... IF the economy remains healthy and oil doesn't pass $60 a barrel.... [:-]

Flying for a living is inherently unstable, and you can't be a "real" airline pilot till you've been furloughed (laid off) for more than two years or had at least one airline shut down on you... If you want stability, go work at the Post Office - just be sure you're packin' heat

Cheers and good luck!

Jim

Some pics from www.airliners.net - a GREAT airplane pic site!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Name:	Db85105.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	247854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98551.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	247855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85356.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	247856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96262.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	247857  
Old 03-24-2005, 07:29 PM
TLC Flying

I'm 52 and started RC at 42 or so. Bought out a cropdusters operation and ran the business while he flew when I was 45. Bought a Citabria, learned how to fly in the back seat of that. Bought a Cessna 188B (sprayer). Wrecked that the second year. Now have a turbine Ag Cat, a Cessna 188C, the Citabria and a 1957 Cessna 310. Will try to get back into the RC when things calm down a little. What fun it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.