Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

First solo x-country!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
aaron2874

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First solo x-country!

Time for the next chapter of my continuing saga to get out of law enforcement.

This morning I flew my first solo x-country in a Cessna 150 Aerobat. It was a beautiful morning though a little hazy. Took off at LVJ Pearland. Flew to Kemah, then up to 6R3 Cleveland. Used the trusty finger on the map method and actually didn't get lost! No problem. Took off from there and flew to the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas. Then over to T41 La Porte for a quick touch-and-go then back to Pearland. GOD I LOVE TO FLY!!!

On a side note: While I was cruising back south to the Monument I got to thinking about all these years I could have been doing this but always felt 'no it's too expensive' or 'really don't have time' or even 'I don't know if I could do that'.... HORSE-PUCKY!!! Well, better late than never. The good news is since I'm only 33, I still have a whole lot of good flying years ahead!

And of course no post is complete without a couple of clickies!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79839.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	267894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23666.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	267895  
Old 05-06-2005, 07:18 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: First solo x-country!

Ahh, I remeber my first solo XC, congrats! I love flying too
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

I salute you also on your cross country as many others have over their years in avaition. However I fail to understand it being pertinent to RC flying.
K.O.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hi KO; You've got it backwards! RC, or more properly, model building, is what got a very large number of us into 1:1 scale!! I grew up in the '30s, starting modeling in 3rd grade, 1935, and spent the late '30s walking 3 miles to the local airport on good weather weekends. I soloed right after HS, and went into the AF for 3 years. While a tower operator at Godman Field (Fort Knox), I met a captain who had a 1946 Rearwin Coupe, all of 75 horses, and let me fly it on my first xc. But there wasn't an instructor to sign me off. So, He had a cfi buddy up in Huntingburg, IN who would sign me off . But first I had to fly up there to get signed off to fly up there!! It produced one of my great thrills when I saw Steve Whitman come in in his racer, and I got to meet him! At Godman, we had a very active modeling group, which was mostly control line and freeflight. Later, at Chanute Field, I met an old acquaintance from the Pittsburgh, Pa. area, Harry Vogler Jr, who with his father, were the "Godfathers" of Pittsburgh area modeling in the 20's & 30's, and was a special services officer. He arranged a workshop for the Chanute modelers, and later weasled a C-47 to fly us to contests! You really can't separate the 2 areas, modeling and full scale. There is even a full scale thread on RCU! Lee Robinson W. Palm Bch, FL.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:18 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

This is my last and final comment on the subject. I to have a history in aviation since 1953 but I still feel that has nothing to do with RC. We can all boast about our careers, war stories etc. but it has nthing to do with this forum. I was in RC before the AF and private flying now again after. Let me put it this way. I quit my subscription to Flying magazine because of car advertisements. What do cars have to do with flying except getting to the airport? If I wanted to read about cars I would subscribe to a car magazine.
K.O.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:46 PM
aaron2874

OK, help me with this... seriously. I posted this in the forum called "AIRPLANES - FULL SCALE" and under that title it says "DISCUSS FULL SCALE AIRPLANES HERE". So, I think I see the error of my ways. What I should have done was made a post like this:

I flew my first x-country solo today. I rented a 1978 Cessna 150A Aerobat. As I took off from LVJ, I was comforted by the smooth purr of the flat-four Lycoming O-235 115hp engine with a fixed pitch prop. I knew I would easily arrive at 6R3 Cleveland due to the ample 22.5 gallons of usable 100 LL fuel stored in the duel wing tanks. I'm sure the sturdy little aerobat was a fine sight as the sun glinted off the red, white, and blue emron paint done in a sporty scheme. As the tires (sheathed in white wheel pants) left the runway, I knew that I could count on the excellent avionics package to keep me safe should I err using the dead-reckoning navigation method. Well equipped with the usual six-pack, radios, and dual VOR system, I knew all would be well. I had the airspeed indicator pegged at 68 (Vy speed) as I climbed for altitude beginning my trek to Cleveand. ***and so on***

I see my short story should NOT have focused on me (the lowly student pilot experiencing the joy of a solo flight), but should have focused on the plane itself with my satisfaction being only incedental. I have seen the light! Obviously the moderator was falling down on his job since all he did was congratulate me... how sad...

And of course... the clicky:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38650.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	268303  
Old 05-07-2005, 06:16 PM
LearjetMech

KO,
This is a Full-Scale forum that relates to anything full scale. In fact in here we dont even care what it relates too. Most of the members in here including myself fought long and hard to get this forum started. It hasn't been around too long but if you look at the number of posts, there has been a huge response. Everybody that I see visit this particular forum has a love for aviation. Doesn't matter if it is RC, Full scale, or your kids pedal plane. We have not had a response in this forum like yours in a very long time. I look at it like a tv. CHANGE THE CHANNEL IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE!!! We talk about airplanes in here, and there are NO boundaries. Please take your gripes, moans, and concerns elsewhere. Nothing makes me more mad that someone deliberatley trying to ruin things for others! If the full scale never hit the market, RC would be non-existent and you would be in a bass fishing forum! But you would probably complain because someone put up a post about a Brown Trout. Relax, enjoy, and you just might learn something!!
LJ

And after doing some checking you posted this in the Full-Scale forum some time ago. Would you please indulge us and point out exactly where in the paragraph you mentioned RC. I think we fail to see the ties! You seem to "share the excitement" with this individual then, where in your latest post you seemed offended that an individual was excited about his first solo. I think you are being very hipocritical here!

"Deadeye
Seeing one of the most notable symbols that represent out country and freedom is in deed a breath taking sight. I've had the opportunity to see AF1 on 3 occasions. The one most noteworthy was from the penthouse of the Ramada near OHare, in Chicago. We had a birds eye view of the motorcade driving right up to AF1 that was parked at the National Guard station and the T.O. After T.O. we watched them load the limosines onto a C-141.
FYI when AF1 lands or takes off all air traffic is halted. You can imagine the headache that is to the traffic controllers especially at a busy airport.
Yes I share in your excitement. Good for you.
K.O. "
Old 05-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats. I am saving up to get my pilots lessons. I can't wait to begin. Today i went to the airport and saw 2 WWII yaks fly in formation. They also buzeed the field. Man, that was awsome
Old 05-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Yogi-Bear

Top stuff i can remember my first solo X-country flight last year i'm now close to my CPL (a) and i'm starting on the twin soon taking a 182 this weekned to country town in south australia from melbourne 2 hour flight each way i'm looking forward to it the 182 is a current t model