Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Reno Air Races??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 AM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reno Air Races??

Dago Red retired last year so guess who won this year??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77687.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	326550  
Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 AM
MustangAce

Default RE: Reno Air Races??

The only P-51 (Ridge Runner) out of 9 racing in the Gold Unlimited was in second place until his engine blew.

He landed safely.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Mechanical attrition meant very little competition for the "Bear" this year. Next year will be better I'm sure. As a point of interest, that Mustang that was in second place until his engine blew was Dan Martin in "Ridge Runner". Rumour is this very stock looking P-51 turned a 467 MPH lap before the engine let go!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
MustangAce

He was using Strega's prop also. I never really looked close enough to see why it was so special though.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice picture of Rare Bear!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Rare bear has always been the fastest plane. He wins when he can keep all his cyl working. 90% he does not. He wins 10% of the time.

Gary
Old 09-23-2005, 02:43 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was my first time at the races. Besides the Mustang giving the Bear a run for the money for the first two laps, I was really surprised that the Bear lapped the last place airplane! Avg lap speeds of 465 mph

Did ya'lll come see my DC-3 N34?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 PM
gow589

He only runs as fast as he has to. He has had 50+mph on the Mustang for years. The mustangs are catching up. They ultimatly beat him with reliability. If the Bear would just put some computer controls on the cylinders then they can make it more than 2 heats. It's like they say, you can be the fastest, but if you can't finish the race you can't win. The P-51's are really making gains in aerodynamics, fairings. They say the Sea Furry could be faster then both with the right fairings and a 3380. It takes time, money, research, experimentation. These guys loose major amounts of money every year. The Rare Bear team doesn't really have it together. They have the airplane, they just don't have much money, any real organization, or anything else. They put the Horizontal stab on upside down one year. Lyle said that he was pushing forward so hard that at any point if he released the yoke it would have pitched up so hard it would have broken the wings.

Gary
Old 09-24-2005, 08:05 AM
MustangAce

P.S. A P-51 holds the world speed record at Reno. 512mph I believe. Dago Red.

I thought John Penney was Rare Bear's pilot and Lyle Shelton was the owner.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 AM
gow589

Lyle Shelton used to fly it but he has had too many DUI's. He has had at least 3 other pilots I know of.

Gary
Old 09-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Dago Red DIDN'T retire! Dago is going threw a divorce settlement and with the $200,000 they need to run the plane for the Reno Air Races a divorce is the last thing they need.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:09 AM
gow589

These races are so under rated. These races make Nascar look like R/C cars. With the speed, power, energy these guys run in old warbirds that are becoming so incredibly valuable. They do so on a shoe string budget (some times millions) still just enough to make it to these races. The winnings are not enough to pay for them to do this nor the sponsers. They all loose money hand over fist to put on one of the most awsome displays in the world. My hats off to the winners and the loosers!

Gary
Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

I was in the pits this year and heard a rumor that an F-82 may join the races possibly as early as next year. It should be a good contender for the inline fans. One thing that I think is amazing about these racers, is the exhaust can generate as much as 700HP worth of thrust. I go every year, and my group that meets up at Reno gets bigger every year.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gow589

He only runs as fast as he has to. He has had 50+mph on the Mustang for years. The mustangs are catching up. They ultimatly beat him with reliability. If the Bear would just put some computer controls on the cylinders then they can make it more than 2 heats. It's like they say, you can be the fastest, but if you can't finish the race you can't win. The P-51's are really making gains in aerodynamics, fairings. They say the Sea Furry could be faster then both with the right fairings and a 3380. It takes time, money, research, experimentation. These guys loose major amounts of money every year. The Rare Bear team doesn't really have it together. They have the airplane, they just don't have much money, any real organization, or anything else. They put the Horizontal stab on upside down one year. Lyle said that he was pushing forward so hard that at any point if he released the yoke it would have pitched up so hard it would have broken the wings.

Gary

Oh man..where to begin. So much misinformation! Dago Red (a mustang now retired) holds the fastest lap ever at Reno. I think the mustangs have caught up. Computer contols on the cylinders? You wish it was that easy! The Bears engine ( a slow nose case 3350 not a 3380 in case you were wondering, 3380 doesn't exist) puts out in excess of 4000+ horsepower. It is stressed WAAAYYY beyond its design HP and is a miracle it lives as long as it does at race power! As far as reliability goes, all the really fast guys are pushing their limits. Dago Red has been the plave to beat lately. The bear won in '04 cause Red cut a pylon, and again in '05 cause Dago wasn't there. Infact, there was so much bad luck this year, the bear was not pushed hard. Good thing too, because the new wing mod did not work out quite like they had planned. No disrespect intended, the Bear deserved the win.

I'll agree that the Bear team has had a hard time for a few years, but to say they don''t have it together really shows your ignorance. There is only one plane in the ENTIRE history of Reno that has gone faster! How is that not together? As for the horizontal, that doesn't even rate a comment.

Red

P.s. Sea Fury and a 3350? Take a look at September Fury! Some say it will give all a run for their money, and I tend to believe it.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Lownverted

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

Dago Red DIDN'T retire! Dago is going threw a divorce settlement and with the $200,000 they need to run the plane for the Reno Air Races a divorce is the last thing they need.

Fletch

Actually Terry Bland (owner of Dago) did make a public announcement that Dago was retired and that it was for sale for 1.5 mil.

Red
Old 11-16-2005, 10:21 PM
gow589

So I made a typo, I know more than you think I know despite your insults.

Thanks.
Gary

ORIGINAL: Lownverted

ORIGINAL: gow589

Gary

Oh man..where to begin. So much misinformation! Dago Red (a mustang now retired) holds the fastest lap ever at Reno. I think the mustangs have caught up. Computer contols on the cylinders? You wish it was that easy! The Bears engine ( a slow nose case 3350 not a 3380 in case you were wondering, 3380 doesn't exist) puts out in excess of 4000+ horsepower. It is stressed WAAAYYY beyond its design HP and is a miracle it lives as long as it does at race power! As far as reliability goes, all the really fast guys are pushing their limits. Dago Red has been the plave to beat lately. The bear won in '04 cause Red cut a pylon, and again in '05 cause Dago wasn't there. Infact, there was so much bad luck this year, the bear was not pushed hard. Good thing too, because the new wing mod did not work out quite like they had planned. No disrespect intended, the Bear deserved the win.

I'll agree that the Bear team has had a hard time for a few years, but to say they don''t have it together really shows your ignorance. There is only one plane in the ENTIRE history of Reno that has gone faster! How is that not together? As for the horizontal, that doesn't even rate a comment.

Red

P.s. Sea Fury and a 3350? Take a look at September Fury! Some say it will give all a run for their money, and I tend to believe it.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Lownverted

Typo? You claim the Bear has had 50+ mph on the Mustangs for years? Not quite a typo, just flat wrong. Ever hear of Strega? Not trying to insult you, just shed some light on the best for of motorsports on this earth!

Please don't be upset, not trying to hurt your feelings, I just get a little annoyed with wild inacuracies.

Red
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Lownverted

ORIGINAL: bash-ace-RCU

I was in the pits this year and heard a rumor that an F-82 may join the races possibly as early as next year. It should be a good contender for the inline fans. One thing that I think is amazing about these racers, is the exhaust can generate as much as 700HP worth of thrust. I go every year, and my group that meets up at Reno gets bigger every year.

Hi Bash

I wish it was more than just rumor. This particular one just won't die. There are no P-82's airworthy, let alone being risked at reno. It has made its way around the racing message boards for a few years under the moniker of the "Sani-hut" racer and even went so far as name Russ Wicks SP? (hydroplane racer) as the pilot.

I would love this one to come true! How cool would that be!!

Red
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM
gow589

It's like you said the engine was making more then it should have. They kept it pulled back to keep it together. The 3350 were pickle beast and they ran them like monkeys. A 3350 has matched cyl which is different then many of the small radials. When they ran the 3350's on the connies there never got reliable service till they implemented engine programs that ket the aircraft mechanics out of the engines. They taped the components so they new if the airlines had been messing with it. That engine was that fickle.

It is my belief if they ran a cyl monitoring unit that added fuel or cut power when they ran out of water they would have a lot more reliability. Problem is they had the power in the first heat or two. By the end of a couple races a couple key cyl's were self distructing. They have never been able to run the engine 100%. It's a fast ***** if they can keep the cyl in the engine. If they could run it for one race only with no reguard for the engine they could easily set some new records.

It's like they say, if you can't finish the race you can't win.

Gary
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Lownverted

I'm a huge Bear fan, and I had high hopes for the new reprofiled wing. I agree that they never have been able to run the engine at full power (except maybe for the 3km attempt at 528.xxx MPH record) but I'm not sure it will go much faster with more HP at Reno. The wing is already up against its Critical Mach and the new LE was supposed to help with that. A litttle birdy told me that she was actually running near flat out this year and the new intake shape was not allowing it to make full manifold pressure.

I miss the old Strega/Bear battles of the 90's! Cant wait for next year!!

Red
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 AM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: Lownverted

I'm a huge Bear fan, and I had high hopes for the new reprofiled wing. I agree that they never have been able to run the engine at full power (except maybe for the 3km attempt at 528.xxx MPH record) but I'm not sure it will go much faster with more HP at Reno. The wing is already up against its Critical Mach and the new LE was supposed to help with that. A litttle birdy told me that she was actually running near flat out this year and the new intake shape was not allowing it to make full manifold pressure.

I miss the old Strega/Bear battles of the 90's! Cant wait for next year!!

Red
The wing mod (installed by me) is more about stability/safety than it's about speed. It got rid of the two wakes coming off the inlet and moved a shock wave near the tail. The Bear ran at full power this year just w/o NoS. We did some engine timing changes to make her more reliable (not a single midnight cylinder change this year). She didn't show past HP numbers because no nitrous was used. Which some little birdy started to spew about not knowing the current numbers will not match past numbers because no magic gas was used this year... We had nobody to chase as of the FIRST day of time trials what was the point of running her full zoot. A race pilot will also never admit that he throttled back... I tends to piss the crew off JUST A TAD. As far as the crew not having it together you have a point. Waaaaayyyyy too many people THINK they are in charge, but do little work. A few fine people keep that plane in the air and the rest are there for the show. Now it's my turn to mod a mustang and see what can be done with Precious Metal. A new prop profile and some airframe mods should get her into the 475-480 range without dumping huge HP into it. Next years gold will be awesome if we all hold together. The Bear, Strega, September Fury, Leeward Air Ranch Special (most clipped p-51 EVER) Precious Metal, maybe even Dago when it gets a new home.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

I was surprised that Dreadnought didn't run faster, looked like a .40 sized plane with a 1.08 shoehorned in the nose. What's all this hoopla that they may be moving the races out to the SouthEast? I finally move close enough to drive out every year and they want to move them next to where I used to live, that's not right.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
gow589

Rare Bear Mech,

Have you guys ever thought of putting individual cylinder management system to head of self distructing cylinders and to get the peak power out of the rich cylinders? How are you guys doing with Aircraft Cyl? Bill jones was the owner correct? Is his son running it now? Did they tool back up and do you have enough parts?

Gary
Old 11-17-2005, 08:15 PM
-Stevo-

ORIGINAL: bash-ace-RCU
What's all this hoopla that they may be moving the races out to the SouthEast? I finally move close enough to drive out every year and they want to move them next to where I used to live, that's not right.
The [link=http://www.airrace.org]Reno National Championship Air Races[/link] are staying right were they have been for the last... oh, lot's-o-years. (that is until they get kicked out of Stead, which lets hope doesn't happen anytime soon) BUT there is a new air race series in town. Jeff Landers is starting up the American Air Races with 1 race to be help in Tunica MISS, and the other in Tucson AZ. Would you like a little info? Well, go [link=http://www.tunicaairraces.com/index.php]HERE[/link] and [link=http://www.aafo.com/racing/2005/arizona/]HERE[/link] and read all about it.
By the way, I do NOT work for/know Jeff Landers or have any affiliation with either of the air races he is putting on. I'm just an Air Race fan and a team member on one of the sport class planes that would love to see Air Racing move from the fringe sport that it is.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 AM
topspeed

Hello dudes [sm=thumbup.gif],

Great to see all the top enthusiasts here too. Let's build some great racer models during the winter...OK ?

I have modelled so far 3 flying Mustangs...wanting to try out a P-51 H too...and a Bearcat as well.

I have a problem...my back is very bad and maybe when I get that fixed I will start to " race " again...for real.

See you later gentlemen !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.