Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Boeing 797 on the horizon

Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boeing 797 on the horizon

Newswire, and no it's not a joke.

The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747's 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide. The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers.

Boeing decided to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works research facility in Long Beach, Calif.

The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style tubular aircraft for decades to come.

There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift to drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%, making it an estimated 33% more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus's $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky.

High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft,&;It reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency, giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach .88 or 654 mph (+-1046km/h) cruising speed another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380's 570 mph (912 km/h) The exact date for introduction is unclear, yet the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45430.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	483765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54186.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	483766  
Old 06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Boeing 797 on the horizon

Wow! That's quite a history. Thanks for posting it.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fact or fiction?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:44 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

WOW! That's defiantly different. I hope Boeing knocks the Air bus right out with that! I live under flying patterns of two airports (Midway, O'hare.) I would love to see the 797.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:43 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4436982
Boeing does a good job keeping secrets. Some of you probably never heard of the seven engine B-17 either.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Flyfalcons

It's been talked about before, several times. Who knows if it'll actually be built or not.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM
GRANT ED

There is no plane called the 797 and this is not boeings answer to the A-380. The 747adv is boeing response.
The BWB has been in development by NASA and Boeing for about 10 years. Boeing has looked at using one as the next generation airliner but the problems associated with its design have halted development for the civill market at least for now.
There are many problems with the BWB design that need to be overcome. The biggest are that most of the passengers will not be anywhere near a window. Studies by boeing have shown that passengers would consider this a major negative. To the point that boeing considered having walls down the isle with projections of the outside taken by several cameras.
The other main problem is the G forces placed upon the passengers on the outer most seats. With passengers located halfway along the wing during turbulence and when the aircraft rolls and yaws they will be placed under higher than acceptable acceleration forces.
Boeing is currently looking at adapting the BWB for milatary use. The lastest guise is the X-48B.
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/imp...ight/x48b.html
Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

OK, here's a few never before published facts on this topic.

First, the whole 747X plane/plan was a ruse.
Yup, that's right a complete fabrication, a story, a gigantic lie, told intentionally.

I worked at Boeing, Everett 1997-2001 and was privy to this excellent scheme.

Here's why the rub.
At that time, the rivalry betwixt the International conglomerate AB and Boeing was at an all time festering high. All communication that Boeing US had with it's subsidiaries in Europe was tapped/recorded. We knew it was happening and it was in fact backed and defended by France as necessary and claimed national defense yada, yada, yada.

We led on that were to build the next gen X 747, biggest, baddest wa-hoo Jumbo on the planet. We knew that AB wouldn't let us do this w/o their own product in the mix so we secretly promoted our imaginary 747X tentative plans etc.

This action sucked in AB hook line and sinker. Once the committed billions in Euros was on the table, we then changed our minds and scrubbed the project, opting for the real project instead.

Funny thing the French, once learned of our ruse, refused to back down (much to our obvious pleasure), and are still delusional
insisting that it was their idea all along....

In our minds this was a tremendous coup, by getting AB to commit to tens of billions of Euros, and getting them to focus on an IMNSHO unprofitable venture.

Some of you may choose to not believe this, no problem here.

I was there, sat in the meetings, saw it happen in real time, live and in person.

What a hoot.
And no I have never even spoken of this until now, didn't think everyone would get it the same way I did...
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 PM
tailskid

Thanks for clearing this up Mike...."GO Boing"......
Old 06-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Edge 540

ORIGINAL: depfife

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4436982
Boeing does a good job keeping secrets. Some of you probably never heard of the seven engine B-17 either.
And a canard!!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

I don't get it................[sm=confused.gif] What planes are in the pic.????????????????
Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mike Bogh

OK, here's a few never before published facts on this topic.

First, the whole 747X plane/plan was a ruse.
Yup, that's right a complete fabrication, a story, a gigantic lie, told intentionally.

I worked at Boeing, Everett 1997-2001 and was privy to this excellent scheme.

Here's why the rub.
At that time, the rivalry betwixt the International conglomerate AB and Boeing was at an all time festering high. All communication that Boeing US had with it's subsidiaries in Europe was tapped/recorded. We knew it was happening and it was in fact backed and defended by France as necessary and claimed national defense yada, yada, yada.

We led on that were to build the next gen X 747, biggest, baddest wa-hoo Jumbo on the planet. We knew that AB wouldn't let us do this w/o their own product in the mix so we secretly promoted our imaginary 747X tentative plans etc.

This action sucked in AB hook line and sinker. Once the committed billions in Euros was on the table, we then changed our minds and scrubbed the project, opting for the real project instead.

Funny thing the French, once learned of our ruse, refused to back down (much to our obvious pleasure), and are still delusional
insisting that it was their idea all along....

In our minds this was a tremendous coup, by getting AB to commit to tens of billions of Euros, and getting them to focus on an IMNSHO unprofitable venture.

Some of you may choose to not believe this, no problem here.

I was there, sat in the meetings, saw it happen in real time, live and in person.

What a hoot.
And no I have never even spoken of this until now, didn't think everyone would get it the same way I did...
Now Boeing would never do a thing like that would they?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:29 PM
tailskid

I'm sure they didn't......
Old 07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

the first plane was on the cover of popular science once, there spin was the airways were full of planes over worked flight control people in the towers and more and more people wanted to fly. then they showed that first plane pictured as a answere to the problems yadda yadda bla bla bla. yust thought id share.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:32 AM
chaz345

ORIGINAL: love those warbirds

I don't get it................[sm=confused.gif] What planes are in the pic.????????????????
Photoshop.