Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

How safe are homebuilt planes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How safe are homebuilt planes?

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: Gravityisnotmyfriend

I just want to know some statistics. I'm a private pilot and am planning on building my first plane. I'm leaning heavily toward the RV-7. The problem is my soon to be wife is not entirely supportive on the idea. My dad crashed a plane when he was in his 20's which makes her think that planes are dangerous. I tried to explain to her that he has had one crash in 30+ yrs of flying and she's been in 5 car accidents in 7 yrs of driving. That didn't go over very well. I believe that private aviation is a very safe sport, but I need some facts to back me up. Can anyone help me convince her?
I came across ths and was curious as to see if you did and if you are? Being rational to a woman? Not a good move man, they win everytime. When I got married in the early 80's, I was already a pilot in the military for several years. it's different to them in this situation. Getting married and then saying "hey I want to get as pilots license!" Thats like saying " Hey! I can't, it's guys night out!"

Yes, I am married. And yes, I have the go ahead to start building anytime I want. I've been second guessing the build though. Building an airplane is a HUGE commitment of time and money. I'm just not sure I want to spend all my time and all my money on one hobby. Would I get the same enjoyment out of building an airplane as I would having several less committed hobbies? I have been logging flying time by renting. I do get up in the air a couple times a month and that is enough for me right now. I'm questioning whether or not I could justify owning a plane and all the cost that goes with it.

Hanger rent around here is stupid expensive and it's a good 2-3yr wait to get a hanger. I could go to a smaller airport with cheaper and more availible hanger rent, but I'm looking at a 45min drive one way. If I had to commit 1.5hrs of my flying time to getting to the airport and back, I don't think I'd do it much. So, for me in this stage of my life, I think renting a plane is good enough to get my full scale flying fix.

I will probably build a plane. I may start on it in a year or ten yrs. I just don't see it happening tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can build most of an RV7 in one half of a two car garage. I just finished mine and I didn't put the wings on until about a month before flying it. It is a huge commitment but worth it when you do that first flight. You don't have to commit all of your time to it just do something on it every day whether it is just for an hour or less. If you stick to it you will finish it. The Vans kits are the best on the market and there is more completions of RVs than all the rest of the homebuilts combined. I love to built and my next project is a Turbine Cubs Super Cub. Don
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
outside-loop

Or you can just buy a plane and she won't have to worry that it it is "homemade" by you. There are Stinson 108's on the market that cost less than most SUV's. Check out www.barnstormers.com or trade-a-plane.com. I've even seen skybolts and citabrias in the low 30's. Then when you have more flying experience together, she will see that its pretty cool and pretty safe. You will definitely meet people with homebuilt airplanes in that time. Then you can move up to a higher performance homebuilt like a RV-7 or Harmon Rocket II.

I first flew Citabrias for about 1500 Hrs. Then I bought my first ship, a 1976 Decathlon. I got good in it then moved up to the Yak 55M with a Vedeneyev M14P 360 Hp radial engine...a real Russian treat!!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I think homebuilt airplanes built by a knowlegdable pilot is safe! there are inherent risks with any airplane but when built properly ,operated in good flying conditions by a trained person its safe.I dont read about homebuilts crashging .take a lot at motorcycle crashes .yeah planes are really ok!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 AM
whitefire

Hi, my Dad built a Thorp T-18 in our garage. It took him 6 yrs from what I remember.

His solo flight in the Thorp was from the Frankfort Airport in IL.

The Thorp was built in the late 1960's, by Art Wortz, call letters were M6821M, the plane was black on yellow.

Would love to know if she still flying!

[email protected]
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
jeffharris75

The photo in my id is my Rans S-9 that I built in 1992 and sold in 1995 when I got married. This is one of several kit built projects that I have been involved in. My judgment is that attention to detail is needed during construction, a well tested design with several hundred COMPLETED AND FLYING kits will decrease the risk associated with being some company's test pilot; a supportive manufacturer is necessary (call some customers) and unless tested before, modifications should not be made without first discussing with the planes designer.

I also suggest joining your local EAA chapter as there is alot of support in that organization and it's chapters.

Other stuff:
BRS parachutes are a nice insurance policy if you can afford them. They are used by CIRRUS and other companies and I have a friend who is a documented save by BRS (structural railure wing in 1999).

Powerplants stop......period. I have had experimental engine failures and failures in certificated Cessnas (valves). This is part of the risk of flying, but not enough risk to avoid this wonderful sport.

Have fun!! After a five year break I did my BFR again last fall to fly under sport pilot regs and plan go buy/build again soon.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: Gravityisnotmyfriend

Yes, I am married. And yes, I have the go ahead to start building anytime I want. I've been second guessing the build though. Building an airplane is a HUGE commitment of time and money. I'm just not sure I want to spend all my time and all my money on one hobby. Would I get the same enjoyment out of building an airplane as I would having several less committed hobbies? I have been logging flying time by renting. I do get up in the air a couple times a month and that is enough for me right now. I'm questioning whether or not I could justify owning a plane and all the cost that goes with it.

Hanger rent around here is stupid expensive and it's a good 2-3yr wait to get a hanger. I could go to a smaller airport with cheaper and more availible hanger rent, but I'm looking at a 45min drive one way. If I had to commit 1.5hrs of my flying time to getting to the airport and back, I don't think I'd do it much. So, for me in this stage of my life, I think renting a plane is good enough to get my full scale flying fix.

I will probably build a plane. I may start on it in a year or ten yrs. I just don't see it happening tomorrow.
I wish you all the best...... I really do.

BUT, now that your married, would you go back and read your enthusiasm before, and now the lack of. it's amazing what a marriage can do. Being happily divorced, I can say this with authority....