Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Heres something you dont see fly over every day

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:26 PM
kc8qvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres something you dont see fly over every day

Check out the pictures

Flying over Dublin, Ohio. At least 2 of these flew over (I saw one earlier today but it might have been one of these two). I also saw 5 military helecopters fly over in formation about 15 min before I got the picture of the first B-29 (the one that is a closer shot). The second one caught me off guard while I was uploading the pictures from the first one, so I caught it at the end of its flyby. I wish I got a close up of the tail number.

The tail number on the first one is either 297849 or 297843. I cant see the last digit clear enough to tell.

Does anyone know where they are going/comming back from? It has been YEARS since I have seen a B-29. I dont know of any airshows in the area either, but there might be.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16460.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	521530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58191.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	521531  
Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 PM
kc8qvo

Default RE: Heres something you dont see fly over every day

Whoops, the first one there is a B-17, not a B-29. I cant tell what the second one is, its too far away. Any guesses? They both have the same yellow tail markings.

Steve
Old 09-09-2006, 04:05 PM
kc8qvo

I did a little bit of research and found that the first airplane I got the picture of is the Liberty Belle. They are giving rides out of the Delaware airport, just north of here.

Go to this link for more info, looks pretty interesting but I dont have an extra $430 for a flight fee []

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.php

Steve
Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM
aaron2874

Here is my shot of the Liberty Belle at Hooks airport in Spring Texas. I had just flown in and got out of my plane when I looked over at the runup area and said to myself... "Self! That's a B17 bomber!!!". I wish I had known it was going to be there because they were selling 30 minute flights for 390 dollars. I surely would have spent the money for that. It wasn't a total loss though. A little later, I took my girlfriends kids flying. The bomber took off behind me, but I didn't realise it. As I was making a left turn, I looked back down at the runway and there was the bomber climbing straight up at me. What a beautiful sight! I told Hope to take a picture, but I had given her mother my camera so she could get pics of the bomber. She was still on the ground. Bummer... It was an awesome sight, but only me and the kids have the memory. Here is a pic of the bomber, and me and the kids in a Tampico TB-9 about to taxi out to the runup area beside the bomber.

Name:	Fc90186.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	521541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60473.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	521542  
Old 09-09-2006, 05:25 PM
kc8qvo

Cool. Nice pictures

Well I need to pay for some other things before I can pay to fly in the B-17 Otherwise I would try and go up there tomorrow. What a beautiful airplane to see fly though, and that sound..... hmm. You cant mistake that airplane for anything else, thats for sure! To be honest, I thought it was an ultralight at first because of the speed and the fan sound of the engines, but when I looked up I couldnt believe it!

A little while ago there was some kind of airplane that flew over that looked like a liberator, but only had 2 engines. It had the twin rudder tail and the fat fuselage. Check out the pic, any ideas what it is?

Steve

Name:	Wt59087.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	521580  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:00 AM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

With twin vertical fins and a mid-wing, I'd say that was a B25.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I downloaded and enlarged the pic of the twin tailed plane. Not a B-25, but I can't get enough detail to tell what it is. The tails are too large in proportion to the rest to be a -25, though. The other distant pic is also a B-17. Big as they are, they look like toys next to the B-29. There's only one airworthy Superfortress, FiFi. The Commemorative Air Force owns it. I've been in it on the ground, and seen it fly. It's a BIG dang chunk of aluminum and magnesium parts. Tip to tip, the props are 18 feet across.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Johnny C!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic that I took from Fuddy Duddy
this past spring. We're departing from AVL.
This "window" in the radio compartment
was the best of the show. I only went up
front for a few minutes. The rest of the ride
was spent right here. Too much fun & and
an honor to ride in an aircraft that has so
much history for our country.

I want to thank our vets for their sacrifices.
Also, never forget 9/11.

Johnny C!

Name:	Jh17090.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	522436  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The pic in post #5 is definitely a B-25. The other pics are all B-17 as there are currently no flying B-29s anywhere. The CAF B-29 "Fifi" has been down for work for quite some time now and is currently getting four new engines. It may be quite a while before it flies again.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
kc8qvo

Thanks for the information everyone. I wish I got a closer picture of that last airplane. It is too hard to blow it up and make any sense out of the blurred immage . It might well be a 25.

I just wish I got to see these airplanes fly over more often! We have several airports around here and see airplanes fly over 24/7. Seeing some of the old WWII birds brigs a whole new perspective on watching airplanes!

Steve
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 AM
groundparrot

I think it is a B-24.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If it was in fact a twin then it couldn't be a Consolidated B-24 Liberator which has four engines. Perhaps it was a North American B-25 Mitchel as was posted previously.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I know...REALLY old thread..but I just had to drag it back up.

The wife came scurrying into the shop this morning asking what on EARTH that huge, loud, noisy airplane was that just flew over our house. Or, rather, she TRIED to ask, but I was too busy scurrying outside to see what that huge noisy airplane was that just flew over our house. Turns out it was the Liberty Belle B-17G, as mentioned here.

We live, quite literally, JUST off the approach threshold of runway 14 at MQY...in fact, we share a property line with it. The proximity was, in fcat, one of the selling points of the house for us *heh*. I'm sure many of you are in touch with that idea, though the real estate agent didn't quite get it.

In any event, Liberty Belle was here earlier this month as part of this years Liberty Foundation's tour, and had some mechanical problems. They chose to have the repairs done here since the local FISDO happens to have one of the few people left in the world capable of FLYING the B-17 on her post-repair checkouts.

Well, today was that day...Bob took her up for a while, then returned to MQY to give some of the hard working mechanics a couple of rides...it was during those checkouts and rides that I caught her coming over the house. Once I'd grabbed those, I flipped on the scanner, learned from the tower that she'd be coming back in one last time, in preparation for final departure in the hands of the Liberty Foundation crew, heading off to wherever her next stop is. So, I scurried over to the local flight school (where I'm taking my lessons), scampered out on to their ramp with the office manager, and got some really fun shots of the Liberty Belle taxiing out to 32, and departing.

Here's a couple of the shots, with a complete set available over at http://public.fotki.com/BluesConvert...sn-44-85734--/

Enjoy.

Name:	Om33997.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	712859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21110.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	712860  
Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM
slick95