Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Why? Why? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why? Why? Why?

...red light is on the left wing and the green light is on the right wing? (red-right and green-left)
...East is odd and West is even? (East-even and West -odd)
Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Empennage Gunner
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Why? Why? Why?

Left Red / Green Right.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
normgoyer

Hi guys, these lights were a carry over from ship navigtion. Another way to remember is LEFT RED PORT ( all small words) RIGHT GREEN STARBOARD (all large words) or No Port left, somebody drank all the red wine. Norm
Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
touch and go
My Feedback: (11)

The rules of the sea, and the air, are that if two vessels, or aircraft, are on a collision course, such as converging at a right angle to each other, the vessel/aircraft on the right has the right of way. Thus, by putting the green light on the right side of a vessel or aircraft and the red light on the left side, as the two converge the captain of the craft on the right side will see a green light on the other craft indicating that he has the right of way and the captain on the left side will see a red light indicating that he does not have the right of way. That's why the lights are set up as they are.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
normgoyer

Unless the plane is flying upside down. We had to learn all the maritime rules of road while going through flight training with tne Navy and after all these years most are still stuck in my hard drive memory. Norm
Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hey guys! For many years I taught my students the simple way--- short word to short word----long word to long word. You can't miss!! Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

GEEZ--after putting in my 1.5 cents worth, I went back and read some of the other comments, and that ancient rascal Norm beat me to it!! That's OK Norm, I forgive you--THIS time! HMMMM-- come to think of it, I hit 81 last Wed.(3/21), so maybe I'm the ancient one!!! Lee
Old 03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
normgoyer

Hi Lee, you are still the senior advisor. You got me in seniority by three months. I will be 81 on July 11. That's why I am so lucky, born on 7-11, Norm
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: touch and go

The rules of the sea, and the air, are that if two vessels, or aircraft, are on a collision course, such as converging at a right angle to each other, the vessel/aircraft on the right has the right of way. Thus, by putting the green light on the right side of a vessel or aircraft and the red light on the left side, as the two converge the captain of the craft on the right side will see a green light on the other craft indicating that he has the right of way and the captain on the left side will see a red light indicating that he does not have the right of way. That's why the lights are set up as they are.
Wow,

I never knew that...... I've been flying airplanes for 25 years and boating all of my life, and never once heard this explanation, but it makes total sense!

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
LowFlyBye

ORIGINAL: normgoyer

Hi guys, these lights were a carry over from ship navigtion. Another way to remember is LEFT RED PORT ( all small words) RIGHT GREEN STARBOARD (all large words) or No Port left, somebody drank all the red wine. Norm
Along those same lines...I always remembered it as Green has the Right of way. Helps me remember which side has the green light as well as which converging craft has the priority.

-Low
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
normgoyer

That is a giid memory aid, Norm
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: touch and go

Makes perfect sense. I had always wondered, too, why the colors were the way they were. I remember which is which by the way ship channels are marked, red to the right side on entry to the channel from seaward, or Red Right Return. An aircraft coming toward you (returning) would have its left wing (red light) to YOUR right, so Red Right Return works there also.