Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

SNJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
telejojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SNJ

Got to fly a SNJ or texan today and it was great...I got about 20 min of stick time and the pilot flew the loops,spit s's and cuban 8's it was a blast a lot different than the cessna 150 I learned in.My thanks to the guys at History flights....................
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Ed Toner

Default RE: SNJ

I Car-Qualified on the SNJ-5C in 1954 aboard the USS Monterrey, Gulf of Mexico, 6 passes, 6 Cuts, off to NAAS Kingsville for advanced in Panthers, and my Wings of Gold.

When we got to Pearl Harbor deployed on the USS WASP, flying Banshee's I had them tattoed on my left breast. Beautiful Gold. When it dried and fell off, it was BLUE! The red blood changed it's color. Now at 76 they have assumed a 15 deqree banked keft turn. (Sob).
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
telejojo

My friend got his wings in 52 in the SNJ and went on to fly with the Blue Angels..............I told him what I was going to do and he said be sure to use plenty of right rudder on take off but I did'nt take off but my rc plane you have to use right rudder on take off.I will do it again...................
Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 AM
normgoyer

After 60 years as a certified commercial pilot, owner of four SoCal FBOs and thousands of hours in every plane imaginable I value my 1,000 plus hours in my four SNJ-6s as the best flying I have ever done. Many of you have probaby seen my last one "Stormin' Norman" at various airshows on the West Coast. The fabled Six was one of the best planes ever built. It is only one of a very few that had a North American airframe, Pratt & Whitney radial and a Hamilton Standard prop. At 81 I now dream of my SNJs and relive my past by flying various size RC Texans. Norm