Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

You never know what you'll see

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You never know what you'll see

I was out at the local airport today (KLFK) and when I was getting ready to leave this flew in. I didn't get a chance to talk to the pilot, so I don't know where he came from or where he was going. Being located in somewhat of a rural area, (lufkin,Tx) I bet he raised a few eyebrows on his approach with that torpedo hanging under his belly. I love to see all the unusual aircraft that sometimes fly in for refueling or repairs. About 20 years ago a B-24 was here a few days for nose gear repair.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61791.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	911005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46117.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	911006  
Old 03-22-2008, 11:52 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: You never know what you'll see

Cool.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He's gonna have a helluva time explaining that to Homeland Security. I bet he has paperwork up the kazoo to explain that thing...

Bob
Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 AM
normgoyer

Hi Guys, that is one of three conversions made on AT-6s and BT-13s by Stewart Davis near Los Angeles for the movie Tora Tora Tora. This is a replica/look-alike Kate. It was made using an AT-6 with a stretched fuselage and other cosmetic changes. The torpedo was fiberglass. I flew one of these in mid 1970s when it was owned by Scale R/C Modeler publisher Ed Schenepf. They also did a replica Zero/Zeke from a T-6 which was the best one, a Val dive bomber from a BT-13 with a T-6 engine. There was one of each at Apple Valley, CA airport where I was the FBO. I flew them every Sunday as a mini airshot to attract customers. They were also used in "Pearl Harbor", Baa Baa Black Sheep and "Final Countdown" plus I am sure many others. Most are now part of the newly renamed Confederate Air Force in Texas. I forgot their new name, but not as good as their old one. Norm
Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
My Feedback: (1)

The new name of the Confederate Air Force is, I believe, Commemorative Air Force.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This Kate replica is N6438D registered to Douglas Peeples in Texas and is a converted SNJ-5 according to the paperwork. See the link below for a history of this airframe. Unless Challenge Publications owned more than one Kate replica then this is the one Mr. Goyer relates flying in his post above.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/texan...n-4285871.html
Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
normgoyer

Hi, I dug out my old log book and there it is. Tina and I flew that old bird to airshows at George AFB, Edwards AFB and other regiional shows during the mid 1970s. It as a bit of a lead sled compared to the Val and the Zero. The Val was too stable, hard to turn and the Zeke/Zero had a full swiveling retract tailwheel that liked to get stuck in up position. Of course Texans are hard to land with a lockable tailwheel and a real bear when it is full swiveling. Thanks for the memories. Norm
Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

You guys sure do your homework. So this plane has a good bit of history behind it. normgoyer, I bet it's a good feeling to see a plane that you flew years ago is still flying.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
normgoyer

Hi Guys, you nailed it. So many of the airplanes I have owned met disastrous ends that I sometimes don't check current history, a bit afraid of finding out what ever happened to them. But, in cases like this, well it gives great feeling. One of my finds and restorations went on to make classic aircraft history with a C-195 that I pulled off a ski slope in VT, restored it, flew it all over North America and then sold it to the late Ron Karwacki who really restored it to award winning highly polished condition. It is now owned by a publisher in Alabama who is taking real good care of it. If anyone is interested I have some pix of this beautiful classic round engine Cessna. Norm