Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

My First Flight !

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 PM
TakingFlight96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Flight !

For a few days this past week we went down and visited my dads side of the family in, Ottumwa, IA. Turns out that my dads' brother is a Certified Flight Instructor. Anyway, he gave me a ride in his Cessna 172 that Ottumwa Flight Service rented out. Not having ever rode in a smaller plane, only in a jet airliner, I wasn't sure of what it would be like. We got out to the airport and then my dad, my uncle, and me got in the plane ; my uncle in the left seat, me in the right seat, and my dad in the backseat. We got up in the air and me already knowing how a yoke works and everything else my uncle said "lets try a turn". So, long story short I did 3 axis turns, straight and level flight and it was a dream come true for me. Theirs not a single feeling in the world that could compare to flying several 1,000 feet in the air. My uncle gave me a "Flight Computer" and an offical flight log. And me being at the age Iam, I dont know what the future holds, but hopefully I have a career in aviation someday.

TF96

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51107.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1100807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15786.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1100808  
Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
TakingFlight96

Default RE: My First Flight !

I forgot a pic ....

TF96

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51016.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1100820  
Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
aldentwc

congratulations flying a small airplane is a whole other beast. I am an A@P minus the p, but when i was in school one of my instructors had us hand start his piper vagabond and then he would take us out for an hour flight. it is an experience i will never forget. I wish i could pay for lessons, but i need more steady income first, but it is something that i will always hold on to even if i never get to fly again... any way good luck and now you've been bitten by the flying bug

not the actual one, but dang close
Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
TakingFlight96

I only got a half an hour ride but, that was plenty enough time to get a true sense of general aviation. Boy did time go by fast though, I wish I could've flown longer but, my cousin and his sisters husband needed a ride too. I guess that, that feeling of flying is a feeling that I will never forget.

TF96
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 PM
normgoyer

Furthering your education is the key ingrediant to ever being employed in any capacity as a professional pilot. Stay in school as long as you can and polish up your English, writing abiities, and learn as much as you can regarding aircraft and why they fly. High school grads are not going to cut it in professional aviation circles. Norm
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
aldentwc

actually i'm a mechanic by schooling not a pilot, but after graduating may after sep 11th the jobs i had went away. I am currently an IT guy if anyone is looking, and the poor English is due to a stroke in jun/aug but that is a story for another time and place...
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM
normgoyer

Hi, that advice about furthering one's education was not directed to you but to any young person who wanted to become a professional pilot. I have thee sons, one is Senior editor at Flying Magazine, one a retired ATP and one who is an A & P. The A & P has had all the work he can handle. He is also a private pilot who restores Warbirds. Enjoy what you do, but never stop learning something new. Norm
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
194611ac
My Feedback: (1)

Thats good that you enjoyed your first flight. I have been a licensed pilot for 4 years and have flown with my dad since befor i could remember. The very first official flying lesson for me was in a Grob Glider. I have taken my Girlfreind up flying with me before and once i am an instructor im going to teach her. There have been many great female pilots, dont let people tell you you can not fly, keep up the flying and good luck.