Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Constellation buried in Antarctica

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:36 AM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constellation buried in Antarctica

Some pics sent to me via email. Pegasus buried in the ice. Also found some more on google. http://flickr.com/photos/58634261@N00/363032194

Grinder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55094.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	1148359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74690.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1148360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30252.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	1148361  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 AM
davidbegg

Default RE: Constellation buried in Antartica

Lots of remains of planes are still down there thanks to a various mishaps and disasters over the years. Perhaps they will be a treasure trove for archaeologists of the future!!

In the 60s went on a Boy Scout evening to the US Deep Freeze Base at Christchurch airport NZ, and were shown over a Constellation, could easily have been Pegaus. Still remember the high climb into the fuselage and of all funny things to remember a chart to record the numbers of whales sighted flying down to Antarctica.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:47 AM
davidbegg

Default RE: Constellation buried in Antartica

Hopefully these are pictures taken of US Navy DC3s (modified) waiting for favourable weather conditions to fly from Invercargill NZ to McMurdo Sound in Antarctica. They left at night to arrive in daylight and used Jato rockets to get them airborne with the huge fuel loads they carried. Take off was an impressive sight. I believe none of the many DC3s flown to the Antarctica were ever brought back, still down there somewhere. I am unsure of the flight times but it was something in the vicinity of 15 / 18 hours I think. Some Neptune maritime patrol aircraft were also flown down from Invercargill airport in the early 1960s.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75500.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1148396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90157.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1148397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79065.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1148398  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
aldentwc

Default RE: Constellation buried in Antarctica

I know that occasionally they try to defrost and rebuild these planes. with so few conies left flying i hope this one at least gets restored to museum quality. it is such a neat plane.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Constellation buried in Antarctica

ORIGINAL: grinder-RCU

Some pics sent to me via email. Pegasus buried in the ice. Also found some more on google. http://flickr.com/photos/58634261@N00/363032194

Grinder.
Sorry forgot to add the text that accompanied the story of the pics posted.

" Speaking of four engined beasties, my favorite (besides the Focke Wulf Condor) has to be the Lockheed Constellation. We walked out to a hulk of one on the iceshelf in the Antarctic. It crashed while landing in a snowstorm in 1970 or something and they just left it there. Its 7 miles outside of McMurdo Station and we got permission to walk to it - took us about five hours of walking! I was in (US) Naval Support Forces Antarctica from 1982 thru 1985 when I got out of the Navy. I only spent one and a half summer seasons on the ice and the rest of the time I spent in California or, while on deployment - Christchurch, New Zealand. All the other guys in the office (weather observer) kept getting in trouble in NZ so they shipped me up figuring I wouldnt cause too many waves. Pretty tame (most of the time) but got to see alot of beautiful sights. Id definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to see a beautiful country. "