Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

A-10 Air brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A-10 Air brakes

Been goofing around with an A-10 simulator and have used its airbrakes (see open clamshells in the picture). Actually just how are airbrakes used on the A-10? To slow in the air or once on the runway, etc.? Thanks...........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf10273.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1356538  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
farr301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A-10 Air brakes

I'm sure they were capable of being used on landing, but i'm almost a hundred percent positive they were used on strafing runs to slow the aircraft and possible lower the risk or a tip stall? although i'm not sure about the stall part.

Jake
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Fytch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i am not wrong, those are flaps and spoilers. full flaps to reduce airspeed and spoilers to make sure the plane is ''forced'' on the ground, so that the brakes can work to slow the airplane down.

Reeve
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I posted the picture, I have downloaded an updated A-10 demonatrator simulator where the same developers include several training sessions/movies. In those the airbrakes were used in attack runs and landing approaches; both in the air as opposed to on the runway. I suppose they are accurate in their depiction. Thanks for responding.