RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Airplanes - Full Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/)
-   -   Full scale flyers....roll call. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/1416559-full-scale-flyers-roll-call.html)

rsiaviation 03-01-2007 11:19 AM

RE: Full scale flyers....roll call.

Hello,
Started flying gliders when I was thirteen years old and then soloed at fourteen. I am now working on my private pilots license and have soled on my sixteenth birthday. I hope to get my license on my seventeenth b-day in may. I have been flying rc airplanes for the last two years with a freind my age who is also working on his pilots license and flys RC.

Rsiaviation

MOONEY20E 03-10-2007 10:15 AM

Hi,
I live in the Hudson Valley of New York state right next to the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome (www.oldrhinebeck.org) . I currently have a Mooney 20 E. I have lots of time in Piper Arrows, Piper Archers, Piper Warriors, Piper Cub. I took Aerobatic lessons with Stanley Segalla in his Super Decathalon and two place Kristen Eagle. I flew Cap 10 B's that belonged to the French Connection Airshow before their untimely death. I haven't flown aerobatically since 1994. My inspiration to fly came from my Dad who flew in a B-24 Liberator with the 8th Airforce, 389th Bomber Group in England. His commanding officer was Jimmy Stewart. The first plane that I owned was a C-150, Then a 177, then the Mooney that I currently have. I will post a picture when I can. If it has to do with airplanes,I am there!
Good Flying!
David

r/cheliman 03-14-2007 07:57 PM

Hi everyone. I have been reading through some of your posts. Very inspirering.

I am 15 years old. Ever since the first time I flew in a plane when I was eight I have been obsessed with airplanes. Ever since then I have wanted to learn to fly and some day earn a pilot's license. How do I persue this dream? I plan to do some research on were I have to go and what I have to do. I live on Long Island in New York. Any advice that would help would be appreciated.

I am currently flying electric helis and plan to get into airplanes within the next year or so, when I completely master helis.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

MOONEY20E 03-14-2007 11:19 PM

Andrew,
The best advise that I can give you is work towards your dream. Getting your pilots license is less expensive than a semester in most colleges. I would suggest to try your best to follow your dream, you never know, you may end up going to an aeronautical school and becoming a professional pilot. Have you spoken to your parents about your dream? Have you taken a discovery flight? What part of Long Island do you live on? There should be a flight school near you. Time passes way too fast, live your dream my friend!
David Smith

Kaoma 03-15-2007 11:25 PM

Finally got some time off and took the FAA - Private Pilot written test today. After the Ground School and two weeks of study I got 85% in the score...could have done better. Need to learn to read the WHOLE question, not only half of it!

Darklotus 04-11-2007 09:41 PM

I'm in school right now for my A&P, and we take a FAA test for the subject we are covering just about once a week. I've been going for nine months now, and the very first thing I learned about taking FAA tests... RTFQ and RTFA! (Read the flipin question and read the flipin answer) I still write that on top every test I take. lolol

I should have my private done this summer. I started in 2005, but ran out of money on my O&P.... My written expires in August, so the pressure is on.

James

premieride 04-11-2007 10:14 PM

Just got started in RC planes...ordered my first kit yesterday (a Taylorcraft). I'm currently trying to make a living as a flight instructor (you all know how tough that is!), building time for the next adventure. I've been flying in Alaska for the last year or so, and it looks like I might get to fly a bush hawk and possibly some beavers, and otters this summer with a 135 outfit (IF I get the job...). I love flying, and flying RC planes is definitely something I see myself spending alot of time and money on...*laughs*

TruBlu02 04-25-2007 07:42 AM

Pilot in training here. I am currently working on my single engine commercial. I got my Instrument rating a couple months ago. I am applying for a flying slot in the Air Force this year so hopefully I can finish my commercail then just do all the rest with the Air Force. I am currently a Jet engine mechanic on C-130's and Ia m statioed at Little Rock AFB, AR. Here is a couple pics of me. One with the C-172 I fly from time to time and the other with a Diamond DA-20 Katana. I also attached a link to a video of my take off in a Katana. If you listen close you can hear the stall warning when I rotate. Damn thing did evertime that day even 10 knots over rotate speed.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...country003.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/P1010005.jpg

[link=http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/trublu02/?action=view&current=P4130311.flv]Take off in a Katana[/link]

jetboy2003 05-03-2007 11:42 AM

Wahoo!! Just picked up my tailwheel endorsement in a Super Decathlon.... I love it!!

Kaoma 05-16-2007 11:33 PM

Soon I will go for my SOLO, need to grease the landings first...any advice?

Flyboy Dave 05-17-2007 02:08 AM

....practice. ;)

FBD. :D

Ed Toner 05-17-2007 04:00 PM

Danny - be SAFE!. Know your traffic patterns. Grease jobs are great, BUT, the check pilot will be looking at other things.

I instructed Navy in the T-34. for 3 years, and I was a check pilot at NAAS SAUFLEY, and that's what we all looked for.

westtexasking 05-20-2007 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fly ag planes mostly, and a bellanca super viking. Currently I'm building a swearingen sx300. Most of my time is in a cessna 188, we used to have 8 of them. Now we're down to one :( I just found a model kit of a 188, so maybe sometime soon we'll have another cessna cropdusting for the little fields (maybe I could fertilize my backyard)

---Cliff

Kaoma 05-20-2007 08:43 PM

Right now I have 17.5 loged hours in the Cessna 172. I can do all but good landings. This is the only thing holding me back from SOLO.
I fly twice a week for 1.3 - 1.5 hrs averaging about 7-10 landings. I feel is not enough...If I could find somebody to fly with (not at the $$$ school rates) for one day 6-8 hrs I could master those landings.
I am at the point that I push myself to much to perform in the short time and I don't have the gained built in reflex.
I can land the plane safe all the time but perfect and smooth...

akschu 05-22-2007 08:59 PM

I just bought a 150. I'll be using it to learn to fly. My neighbor is a CFI so as soon as he gets back from kodiak we'll start. I'm excited, I can't way to get my ticket:

http://www.schu.net/gallery/main.php...serialNumber=2

shotgun06 05-24-2007 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my daily driver...I'm a flight instructor on Primary Flight Training for the Canadian Air Force and we are flying the Grob 120A. Ihave been involved in RC flying for 25 years.[img][/img]

Ed Toner 05-24-2007 05:57 PM

I trained in the SNJ-5, from Primary to Carrier Qual on the USS MONTERREY, 1953-54.

Student Pilot 05-26-2007 07:16 PM

I just got my Private Pilot License last summer. I'll be going all the way in my training, making a career out of it. I'll be finishing up my training in Florida in January after I graduate from Western Michigan University in December. I just have to pick a flight school; either Phoenix East in Daytona Beach, Flight Safety in Vero Beach, or Crystal River Aero Group in Crystal River. Any tips for an aspiring pilot are greatly appreciated, especially if any of you have any experience with the flight schools I'm looking at!

I also have a tailwheel endorsement in a J-3 Cub. What a fun little plane!!! I got my PPL in a 1965 Cessna 172F, though I have 22 hours in a Cirrus SR20 from when I flew at WMU. I have 76.5 hrs total time racked up so far.

jetboy2003 05-26-2007 08:09 PM

I JUST GOT MY CFI!!! Wahoo!!!

Student Pilot 05-26-2007 08:33 PM

Congratulations!!!!!! That's got to be cool.

slick95 05-26-2007 11:26 PM

I fly ag planes mostly, and a bellanca super viking. Currently I'm building a swearingen sx300. Most of my time is in a cessna 188, we used to have 8 of them. Now we're down to one I just found a model kit of a 188, so maybe sometime soon we'll have another cessna cropdusting for the little fields (maybe I could fertilize my backyard)

---Cliff
Hey, do you know a guy named Dewey Elsik? He lives at my neighborhood here in Texas and also owns a Bellanca Viking.

SLICK

bvillepiper 06-06-2007 10:29 PM

Got my private ticket in 1993 at the age of 49! Wife said there is no way her or I would ever get in an airplane. One day, without her knowlage, I went to the airport, found an instructor and started flying. After the first lesson she saw I didn't die. After I earned my ticket her first ride scared her to death. After her second ride she found out it was fun. I trained in a C-150, rented a c-172 and now own a Piper Tri-Pacer. The Tri-Pacer is now down for a rebuild.

Kaoma 06-10-2007 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I had my first SOLO :) All perfect, no incidents.
Cessna 172 N734TW and a few pics:

crabclaw12 07-09-2007 08:27 AM

haven't soloed yet but im close im only 15 and have learned alot cant wait to fly the 787

Leslie Ward 07-19-2007 06:32 PM

Soloed in 1970 and flew about 300 hrs , photos, and sightseeing mostly. Then a 30 year layoff. Now I fly 182, 172, GA-8 Airvan, Blanik L-23, Swcheizer 232, Grob 102, and RC gliders. Also Help my friend, an A&P .
Aloha, Les