RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Airplanes - Full Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/)
-   -   Anybody fly Ultralights? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/1894395-anybody-fly-ultralights.html)

causeitflies 02-10-2005 06:48 PM

RE: Anybody fly Ultralights?

Please!!! No more pics...I'm get'n the bug again[:o]

cruzomatic 02-10-2005 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, then how about a parachute with an engine mounted to it? :D

causeitflies 02-10-2005 10:11 PM

What..no gyros?

hypersoniq 02-12-2005 11:54 AM

The newer sport pilot rule will let you take a passenger (non training) but you can't charge them a fee...
see the new rules here...
[link]http://www.sportpilot.org/rule/final_rule_synopsis.html[/link]

and more general info on the main site...
[link]http://www.sportpilot.org/[/link]

flying2bill 02-13-2005 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes the old T.E.A.M and Fishers build like giant models, and are very nice flying, I have a Mini Max and my buddy has a Fisher Avenger, both perform very well with in the ultra light envelope, look more like real airplanes than most ultralights, can be built inexpensivly. My Mini Max has modified wing tips and flies very well on a rotax 447. I had an old 377 on it originally but it expired at about 550 ft agl but thanks to expert training that I received and good flight characteristics of the Mini Max and thank the DNR for soil conservation efforts, the engine out landing was pretty much a non-event.

Gaffspan 02-14-2005 08:23 AM

I considered ultralights for a while...

But they still seemed a little big- now i'm looking to be flyin one of these pretty soon:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/flylig...Bug/bug_P4.jpg

taildragger21 02-16-2005 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey bill nice max!!!!...........I am the proud owner of team himax 1700 serial #603..... I just bought it off a guy I know, currently am going through it. I have flown rc for 7 years now, and I can say that ultralights can be cheaper than models!! I attached some pics of it, and also some pics of my first ga solo, and one of the trainer I learned the ropes of ul flight in... God bless, chad

jmount 03-08-2005 09:48 PM

Hay Bill how much does your Mini Max weigh? My Super Cat came out a little over. License it expermental.

dkf1979 03-15-2005 12:39 AM

Check this video out if you haven't already. I love this one. :D[link=http://www.trikepilot.com/images/flyingfreedom/flyingfreedomfull.wmv]Flying Freedom[/link]

Bruno Stachel 03-15-2005 07:48 AM

dkf1979, "awesome" is not cliche or trite for that video! Thanks.

ICRASH2 03-15-2005 08:11 PM

Magnificent Video, should put on IMAX.[8D]

Airbourne in Japan 08-06-2006 02:13 AM

i know this is a bit of an old thread, but i've begun flying ultralights this year. i live in japan and there's hardly any private flying at all. but last september i found an ultralight club about 40 minutes away and this year paid $5000 for 20 hours training. i'm learning in a drifter (see my avtar or profile). i've had a pilot's licence for 20 years, but haven't flown for the last 10 years as i've been living around the world, before coming to japan over 5 years ago. it was driving me nuts, knowing that if i was in the UK (i'm English) i could do plenty flying pipers or cessnas etc. so i got a computer 3 years ago, got connected to the internet and found rc. i think someone posted that ultralights are cheaper and i agree. i've got a bit potty on rc and have spent maybe $17,000 on it which equates to a lot of real flying in the UK or US, but i'm happy here now. don't know if i'll continue with the ultralights, but i'm beginning to enjoy them, basically i need to buy a share in a plane and i'm not sure if one is available. but i'll definately keep up rc flying !!

Jackjet 01-20-2007 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: dkf1979

Check this video out if you haven't already. I love this one. :D[link=http://www.trikepilot.com/images/flyingfreedom/flyingfreedomfull.wmv]Flying Freedom[/link]

Excellent !!!!!!!!!

Love the songs by Styxx and John Denver.........

Jackjet

lucien 01-20-2007 11:50 PM

Oh yeah, one other thing for folks thinking of going to full-scale to think about: full-scale will really mess up your r/c skills ;). I started with fullscale in 98, most of that ending up being ultralight flying, and quit with my heli flying (couldn't afford both). I had been a pretty good heli pilot but tried a heli a couple years ago and could barely hover. I even put it in the dirt...

So keep flying r/c along with if you have the time/money, or your skills WILL deteriorate (personally I think flying fullscale is even worse for r/c skills than not flying at all ;)).

I stopped counting my UL hours at around 500, I estimate I'm around 650 hours at this point. I'd say it's still the most enjoyable type of flying, though it is much more wind limited than general aviation or larger experimental planes. I used to fly my r/c heli in winds worse that I'd prefer to fly a light aircraft.
Good UL models are the Quicksilvers, Kolb, the CGS hawks and a lot of the trikes (derived from powered hang gliders, controlled by weight shift). I flew a trike for 4 years and it was a great machine. My current plane is a Kolb Firestar II, registered experimental amateur built (I fly it with my PPL), which flies essentially like an ultralight.

It's my gasser, but I'm thinking about getting a fixed wing r/c plane for my 1.60FX I have and getting back into it.

Both are equally fun, just different types of fun....

LS

codykrr 01-28-2007 11:03 PM

those are sweet, i see people flying the kind with the parasail on it instead of wings and that would be alot worse i bet with wind.. so what does a person need exactly to be able to fly a two seater? how much does a licence cost for the 2 seater usually? and if i was to buy a 1 seater are there any other things i will need to get besides at least 12 hours or so of training in my book(i dont want to die yet) and what kind of surfaces can you land on and take off from... i live in the country kinda and the best i can do is this little grass air strip some hillbilly owns out here

lucien 01-29-2007 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: codykrr

those are sweet, i see people flying the kind with the parasail on it instead of wings and that would be alot worse i bet with wind.. so what does a person need exactly to be able to fly a two seater? how much does a licence cost for the 2 seater usually? and if i was to buy a 1 seater are there any other things i will need to get besides at least 12 hours or so of training in my book(i dont want to die yet) and what kind of surfaces can you land on and take off from... i live in the country kinda and the best i can do is this little grass air strip some hillbilly owns out here
I also own a powered parachute (that I'm actually selling), they're a lot of fun but only in almost zero wind. Any wind or turbulence and the fun goes away real quick ;).

a 2-seater requires certification for both the pilot and the plane. A good source of general info is at the EAA website: www.eaa.org. Look at the links for "Sport Pilot" and "Ultralights" to start with. I won't go into detail here because it's a pretty long story...
No matter which type you get, you MUST get training or you will die ;).

Most ultralights and light aircraft can fly off grass fields without problems, though nothing really really rough. A taildragger is a good choice for grass or rougher fields since they're more stable on rough ground. No nosewheel to dig in and dump the plane over ;). A real well built plane, IMO, is the Kolb, my plane is one of their models (pic attached). Mine is powered by the Rotax 503, a 2 cyl 500cc motor of about 50hp. The 503 is the very finest 2-stroke gasser of any size/make on the market if I may humbly say so.
Anyway, this plane is a taildragger so it's good on rough ground. And the engine/prop up on the wing in the back improves visiblity and eliminates the possibility of a prop strike (veeeery expensive in a full scale unlike with the far far sturdier R/C motors which generally aren't hurt by prop strikes)....

LS

lucien 01-29-2007 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oops, second try on the pics...

LS