RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Airplanes - Full Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/)
-   -   Off Subject! Any Military/ex-Military here? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/2581012-off-subject-any-military-ex-military-here.html)

saifullah21 02-06-2005 05:07 AM

RE: Off Subject! Any Military/ex-Military here?

SORRY for the double post

best 4 1/ 2 years of my life. camp bondsteel, kosovo 2000
OIF with IMEF,2003, bless those devil dogs! and those guardsman that towed me and my buddy out after our humvee fell in a friggin hole.

GOD BLESS ALL YOU GUYS!!!!!!!

bingo field 02-20-2005 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
6 Years to the day, Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Aviation Electronics Tech. 1973 - 1979
Spent all my time in Fleet Composite Squadrons 5 and 7, "Skeet for the Fleet".
They flew Banner targets, Darts, and Drones. Okinawa and Atsugi,Japan and Miramar, China Lake, Navy Parachute Test Range El Centro, Yuma, Az. Many TAD assignments.
Never just worked on just the avionics, painted (sand, alodine, prime and paint - mantra...),did hydraulics, tires, ordinance, anything to keep them flying.
A-4's, P-2's, S-2's, H-3's, and target drones, MQM-74 and BQM-34.
I even had a Japanese fishing boat for target recovery in the South China Sea.
We did a LOT of scheduled maintanance.
I would do it all over again.

Sarges_heroes2003 02-20-2005 07:50 PM

gues id better post here too. im in the guard, have only 1 year and some months time in. its fun but drill sucks!! talk about boring. but eh, I gues theres worse places to be at.

Jimmbbo 02-21-2005 06:03 AM

Crewchief on UH-1D/H Iroquois (Huey), 1st Air Cav - Viet Nam, Republic of, 1967-68... (originally trained in fixed wing, but "needs of the service" required OJT on Hueys when I reached RVN... :D)

Also became well acquainted with operation and maintenance of the M-60 machine gun, but didn't receive a qualification medal ;)

Cheers!

Jim

Gollywock 02-21-2005 11:01 AM

U.S. Navy, Feb.'63-Jan.'67. First 3 months boot camp, San Diego, next 45 mos. aboard U.S.S. Hornet out of Long Beach. Quite a bit different from the new Super Carriers you see on TV. Jim

MarkNovack 02-25-2005 01:43 AM

Hi,
Mark A. Novack, U.S. Army, Sergeant First Class, Retired 30 Sep 04 after 20 years, 1 month, 16 days active plus two and some-odd months pay years in the guard (long ago in Indiana where I also learned to fly R/C) for the total of 23 years of service. I counted every day of the last year!!!

BeauMiller 02-28-2005 12:34 AM

Hi,

First off, thanks to all the maintainers out there for keeping the jets in tip-top shape! I am an AD Air Force pilot working hard to make it through the Viper (F-16) Basic Course. Graduation is just a few weeks away and then I'm off to the ROK (Kunsan AB) for 1 year with a follow-on to Mtn Home, ID. I started as a glider instructor while a cadet at the AFA and then went to JSUPT at Vance AFB, OK. I was lucky enough to track through T-38s, but ended up staying in Enid as a Tweet (T-37) IP for 3 1/2 "wonderful" years (1300 Tweet hours 1.3 at a time). Military aviation has treated me well so far and the Viper is awesome. Got to drop a string of 6 live Mk 82s last week for the first time. They make a big boom!:) Haven't gotten much RC flying lately though due to the busy work schedule.

Beau

EZ1 03-06-2005 12:28 AM

Usta ride shotgun in the back of a B-29...seldom got to see where I was going donchaknow.

bullet65 03-18-2005 07:53 PM

usmc represented here,1984 -1990 0311 infantry camp pendleton ca.many days i wish i stayed in.there was many good times and those couple of not so good times,like on a 20 something mile hump with way too much weight and either too damn hot(29 palms)or too damn cold(korea).but overall i miss it and the friendships you make.for all you still in service you will never have the close friends like in the service.oh yeah i was kilo 3/9.
david,latham

sillyness 03-21-2005 01:56 AM

Fayettenam, eh? Been up and down Hay Street a few times.

I'm a Herc driver... Four Fans of Freedom. Here's my short History:

A Small Federal Boys School in Colorado;)
Columbus AFB for SUPT
A 6 month stint at Little Rock AFB
4 Wonderful :eek: Years at Pope AFB (sure was hot and sandy there... come to think of it, was I ever really at Pope???)
And, believe it or not, I'm currently on a NATO exchange as an IP in the Canadian Air Force... what a GREAT friggin' deal!!! Love it!! The exchange rate is killing me right now though!

Anyway, the Herc has been good to me... saved my ass a number of times. Especially fun up here in Canada... flying a lot lower than in the US and in a lot more terrain... pulling pine needles outta my teeth;)

But, as with all of you, I'm addicted to the balsa and Ultracote. Mainly fly IMAC.

Strykaas 03-28-2005 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: MarkNovack

Hi,
Mark A. Novack, U.S. Army, Sergeant First Class, Retired 30 Sep 04 after 20 years, 1 month, 16 days active plus two and some-odd months pay years in the guard (long ago in Indiana where I also learned to fly R/C) for the total of 23 years of service. I counted every day of the last year!!!

ark A. Novack, U.S. Army, Sergeant First Class, Retired 30 Sep 04 after 20 years, 1 month, 16 days active plus two and some-odd months pay years in the guard (long ago in Indiana where I also learned to fly R/C) for the total of 23 years of service. I counted every day of the last year!!!

what you doing in Belgium now ???

experimental_pilot 03-28-2005 09:53 AM

Hey sillyness are you Trenton? I'll be over there this summer with the Air Cadets.

Beaumiller,
That is so awesome!!! If everything works out for me I'll be doing exactly what your doing in a few years. I just hope that I'm able to do all the things you guys do in the States up here in Canada. Anyway I hope to be put on exchange with US for as long as possible!

Happy Flying

experimental_pilot 03-30-2005 03:11 PM

Sillyness?

moxjett 03-31-2005 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
4 Years Active Duty Air Force munitions loader on the F-4G Wild Weasel

35th Tactical Fighter Wing - 561st Tactical Fighter Squadron

George AFB, CA, Jan 1989 to Aug 1992
Desert Shield and Desert Storm Aug 1990 to Mar 1991

Enjoyed my time in the service. California was definitely a fun place to be for a small town Kansas boy.

Lived in California for 4 years and I had to go all the way to the Middle East to meet a celebrity.

BeauMiller 04-01-2005 12:50 AM

sillyness.........you a Herc IP up there or are you doing it UPT style? Sounds like a rough deal for sure! I hit the Comox, B.C. airshow a couple years ago out on Vancouver Island and had a blast. Can't even count how many times I had to say "It's not a Tudor" about the tweet. Drink some good Canadian brew for us...eh.

Gold will shine baby.....

Ed Toner 05-15-2005 04:36 PM

I'm Ex-Navy, LCDR USNR Ret.

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/yabbattach/Ed_5.jpg

That's Ltjg Ed Toner, VF-152 Ready Room, USS WASP CVA-18 1956, flew Banshee's.

(Yeah, I WAS drunk when I got the tattoo, my "Buddies" set me up, offered to pay for it.)

Great experience, real confidence builder.

kittycat 05-20-2005 08:38 AM

just came across this form and would like to reply.

spent four years in the airforce-1948 to 52. was a crew chief of various prop planes. did alot of
flying all over the far east. was in korea two days after the war started. for two months I flew
supplies in and then about thirty of us got to stay on the ground to receive the planes and get
them unloaded. got up to sinaju when the china bunch came at us.
I consider this military time the best years of my life. It was a big mistake getting out.
went on to get a muti engine instrument liscence and have had five different planes. do not fly now because
of heart problems but I work full time as construction project manager.
I now work with r/c craft. am building a large cub with da 150 on floats. german made with
15 foot wing span.

thanks for listening,
kittycat
[email protected]

flyinrazrback 05-22-2005 04:57 PM

Active Duty here, B-52 pilot here. Have seen both Afragastan and Iraq. It hasnt been too bad so far, but when my commitment comes up the guard or reserve looks like a lot better deal.

wdthorn 05-24-2005 09:35 PM

Been lurking for some time, first post. I'm a noob just now getting into the hobby (my 5 year old son is my excuse). 21 years, 6 months, 20 days USAF. Flew on RC-135's, EC-130's, worked Army Guardrail, and few other "systems". The last few years riding a desk as Chief of Stan Eval made me call it quits though:

1981-1983 Lackland AFB, San Antonio TX
1983-1986 Kadena AB, Okinawa Japan
1986-1989 Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson AZ
1989-1993 Lindesy Air Station, Wiesbaden, Germany (and Saudi Arabia/Iraq/Kuwait for Desert Storm)
1993-1995 Kelly AFB, San Antonio TX
1995-2001 Kadena AB, Okinawa (finally got back there) (add another 500 days in the desert)
2001-2002 Lackland AFB, TX

I loved my time in the Air Force and wouldn't trade it for anything. My wife is still active duty (thanks for the bennies).
Looking forward to flying RC here in Las Vegas.

Cheers all - and thanks to all that served for their service,
Dean

n74tg 05-25-2005 08:03 AM

Well, I thought I'd be the first B-52 flyer to post here, but I see that flyinrazrback beat me to it. Seven wonderful years '75 through '81 sitting alert as a navigator and bombardier at Ellsworth AFB, back when SAC existed, and we actually knew who the bad guys were. Got my pilots wings after I got out, an instrument rating, a tailwheel sign-off and aerobatics training (Super Decathlon). Am building a Zenith 601 Speedwing (experimental), will finish it one of these years.

Ed Toner 05-25-2005 09:51 AM

nt4tg - Did you happen to know my brother, John Toner, a B-52 NAV/BOMB. in SAC for many years?

FlyinTiger 07-02-2005 02:18 AM

....didn't like that "class motto" someone came up with...gold is actually a little dull. I am a KC-135 pilot finishing with my first real assignment, getting ready to head off to California to fly some "models" or UAV's as some call them. Global Hawks out of Beale AFB, CA.

I enjoyed the mile high school at Embry-Riddle in Prescott, AZ, then off to more desert in Del Rio, TX for SUPT flying the Tweet and T-1 (had airlines on the mind before 9/11), then went on to fly the KC-135R Stratotanker (airlines on the mind still), then 9/11 happened and I've been deployed for about 280 days a year for three years straight. I've been refueling the F-16, F-15, E-8, RC-135, A-10, GR-4 (Toronado), Harrier, and dumping our "extra" gas into KC-10s, all over Iraq and Afghanistan. I did a couple "business trips" out to Edwards AFB, CA to refuel F-22s during the test phase (they are still in it...).

Now I'm off to fly a 75' wingspan turbine reconnaisance plane via GPS from the comforts of my home base, while it flies over another country far away (Iraq/Afghanistan). I know it won't be yankin' and bankin' but I'll be home with my family for a few years.

Thanks to all the guys who did the REAL fighting on the ground where you can see the "whites of their eyes."[>:]

Hircflyer 07-02-2005 02:37 AM

I did 21 years in USAF, best time I ever had do it again if they would let me.................started 1956, B47 Mechanic Plattsburgh AFB, Crew chief B47 til 1963, went to Andrews AFB Presidential Fleet just in time for JFK assassination. Crew Chief AF2, VC-140. 1968 Hickam AFB Crew Chief NKC-135J Project Press aircraft, special mission aircraft used to photograph warheads as they re-enter atmosphere. 1973 Travis AFB Line Chief, C5A aircraft , finished last two years command post Travis............retired in 1978.

Retired from FAA in 2003.

Loved it all.

Ed Toner 07-02-2005 08:22 AM

Interesting thread. Lot's of experienced men here.

CP140 07-02-2005 11:12 AM

From the avitar you can tell I spent more time over water than land... most of it low, popping off sonobouys, bouncing around in the turbulence for hours at a time. I got out about 15 years ago, but thanks to the government travel plan I've been to every province and territory as well as all the lovely vacation spots of the north atlantic...Greenland (its not green!), Iceland (lots of times), Scotland(mmmm, whisky!), Lajes as well as more fun places like Bermuda(lots..Swizzle Inn), Jacksonville.

Spent most of my time as a Nav with 405 in Greenwood.