Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SD-10G, 10-Channel Rx and Giant Scale

There is very little information, from the RC Community, about setup of the 10-Channel Rx for Giant Scale. More to the point, the handling of high current loads. I have seen most use third party power boards to supply the current for HV servo's. Now, I see that the 10-channel Rx is stable with 2-cell lipo but I am not sure if anyone has been testing HV and high-current draw without using a power board. So, if anyone has this setup please let me know how it is working.

The reason I ask is that I am in the market for a new system and Atx is on the list. Hitec and Spektrum are capable without additional equipment.

P-man.
    Plasticman

~~
    ----------------------
    |
    |
    ------

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: SD-10G, 10-Channel Rx and Giant Scale

Unless you are truly doing the HUGE 3D aircraft, the SD-10G receiver is suitable for use with high power servos, etc. Note that we do recommend a high-current on/off switch rather than the stock on/off switch (which is not designed for high-loads).
    Mike Greenshields - Product Manager
    Airtronics - Global Hobby Distributors

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. To handle the high-current demands of HV servos (muliple) do you suggest multiple batteries. Here, I am thinking of two lipos with one connected directly to the batt input on Rx and the other connected via a "Y" harness?

I ask this as I recall the JST connectors are only good for 3A and the HV servos easily pull that. I would think 10A could easily be obtained on extreme manuevers.

P-man
    Plasticman

~~
    ----------------------
    |
    |
    ------

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Smartfly makes a nice heavy duty switch that also handles two batteries. Two batteries is nice in that it's added security if one is bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

I'm looking at running two lipo batteries thru Castle Creations voltage regulators (at same voltage) each battery would have it's own switch and what I would like to do is plug batteries into two spare channels on the 10 channel 2.4ghz RX.

Will this work or is there anything extra I need to do ?

Basically two independent batteries and switches, so if one switch or battery fail it has another complete system to work .

Scott Anderson
    Team Castle Creations

Scott Anderson - CPA #2 - www.ClassicPatternAssociation.com - Team Airtronics SD10G - NSRCA 529 - VRCS 236

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PERFECT and very safe. One of my buddies here locally has done that very thing with good success.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike, what is the thought to running 2 of the 10ch RX's? I did this when I was on 72mhz on my 40% plane as did many guys. This will help divide the load and certainly be cheaper than buying a smart fly or other similar system.
    Jeff Williams
    Extreme Flight RC, www.bandegraphix.com, team Airtronics

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Because of the way our Safety Link works, no only can you do that, no problem, but you can still use the safetylink function with the FHSS3 receivers.

The ONLY condition is that you try to keep all 4 antennas away from each other. They all seem to work better if the antennas from 1 receiver can be at least 5 inches apart or so from the other receiver.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plasticman, I know you are looking for a setup w/o a third party power board, but there may be some on here that might be interested in how to do this with a power board. Therefore, I have begun another thread on this forum to address how I did it using a Smart Fly EQ6 plus on my Extreme Flight 110" Yak 54 IMAC/3D plane using 2 lipos and 7 high draw/torque servos. However, I am interested in your initial post question. I read in the manual that the 10CH RX (92104) should be run at 6.0V and that anything over should have a regulator. They seem adamant about keeping it at 6.0V, you posted they are running on higher voltage, just curious as to where this is written or came from?
    Thanks,
    Jeff Williams
    Extreme Flight RC, www.bandegraphix.com, team Airtronics

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

This was a revision that was made since the SD-10G and 10-Channel receiver were released and the manual printed. The 10-Channel receiver is now rated at 7.4V Nomimal Input Voltage. Please see Mike G's comments here http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...ic.php?t=24161

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Todd
    Team Airtronics