Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

SD 10 Mixing problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM
woodland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD 10 Mixing problem!

Hi

Here is an issue with my new SD10:

I fly a small Delta EPP model, called Twinjet made by Multiplex. As a delta plane, it works with combined aileron/elevator control surfaces.

In Sanwa terms it’s called Ailvator, in the Futaba world it’s called Elevon.

That said, the issue is:

In order to have the 2 servos travel in the indented necessary operating direction (elevator in unified, aileron opposing direction) I have to reverse the servo travel. But no matter how I keep alternating this, I always end up with , whether the elevator working upside down, or the aileron works reversed.

The only real solution of this issue would be the reversal of the working direction of the control element (elevator in this case) which is something different than the reversal of the servo travel.

Of course I tried a workaround with 2 c-mixers: 1. mixer Elevator to aileron left and 2. mixer elevator to aileron right .
This works in terms of achieving the right travel direction, BUT in this case there is no elevator trim available any more!

It’s hard to understand why.

Conclusion:

No delta configuration available that enables free configuration of servo travel
No workaround with mixers available, as it somehow disables the necessary trim of the master channel.

Question:

I am I overlooking something (hopefully..)?
Has Sanwa overlooked something during the SD10 development ( hardly imaginable..)?
Is there a remedy at hand, or soon available?

Besides all this:

Futaba solves this issue with the provision of an independent travel reversal
of the control element ( in this case Elevator).
This should not be confused with the reversal of the servo travel.
I still own a 9z where all control elements can be reversed independently from the servo travel.

Thx for all the helpful answers.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
I ALSO FLY RC

Default RE: SD 10 Mixing problem!

HI:
In regard to Elevons, there is only one combination that will work out of the four that are available, e.g., servo reversing on both elevator channels and swap of the receiver channels. Exchange of the servo plugs in the receiver for the two channels and with the proper reversing the setup will normally provide the correct operation. This assumes that the servo arms are both either opposite the wing tips or orientated towards each other.
Make sure in the TYPE menu you have selected >AERO, AILERON >2, Tail >2, and in the F-Mode, MIXING(17), AILVATOR(02), ACT/INH > ACT and set the values you require for the proper servo throw.

AIRTRONICS Technical Support 800-262-1178
Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
MikeGreenshields

In my use of the radio, that's not the setup I use.

For "ELEVONS", I use the "Delta" setup.

Select "Type" in the System Menu.
(That's choice no. 5)
The set Type to Aero
Set wing to "Delta"
Save (hit enter and then yes)
Now reversing should work as you desire and so should dual rates and epa

That is how I setup all of my "elevon" type planes, flying wings, etc.

Mike
Old 01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
woodland

thanks for all the help! Works perfectly, me bad vor not seeing the easyiest solution... Happy again, Regards
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM
MikeGreenshields

It took a little prodding to get all of my friends to use the Type menu too. btw, for those of you with an SD-10G and aren't using the type menu really, take a close look at the directions (page 8) which is the beginning of the programming section. There's an explanation for quick setup and and 2 pages of tips, insights, etc.