Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

SD10G BATTERY

Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
roylab

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default SD10G BATTERY

Just got back my TX that was in for the RF modification. I charged the battery overnight using the Airtronics wall wart. After charge was complete I turned it on to check voltage & got a reading of 8.1 Volts. I noticed that the reading began fluctuating from 8.1v & 7.9v
continuosly. Is this an indication of battery failure? Prior to sending the TX I never saw this fluctuation.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM
MikeRuth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SD10G BATTERY

Quote:
ORIGINAL: roylab

Just got back my TX that was in for the RF modification. I charged the battery overnight using the Airtronics wall wart. After charge was complete I turned it on to check voltage & got a reading of 8.1 Volts. I noticed that the reading began fluctuating from 8.1v & 7.9v
continuosly. Is this an indication of battery failure? Prior to sending the TX I never saw this fluctuation.
I wouldn't say failure but it seems as though it did not fully charge. I would expect 8.4 right off the charger when full.

How many cycles on the pacK? Mine took several before I started seeing a full charge and capacity out of it.

MIke R

Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
MikeGreenshields

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The voltage is changing slightly and with the mod we made to the radio, your meter is now more sensitive.

After it's been "on" for 20 minutes, is the battery holding it's voltage or is it continuing to go down?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM
roylab

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mike,

I followed your instructions & these are the results. Charged battery with supplied wall wart. Turned on TX & got a reading of 8.1 - 7.9. After 20 minutes "on" the reading was 7.7 - 7.5 .

Also, can a PEEK ELECTRONICS charger be used through the TX port? I have not done this, just inquiring?

Thanks,

Roy
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
MikeRuth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Hi Mike,

I followed your instructions & these are the results. Charged battery with supplied wall wart. Turned on TX & got a reading of 8.1 - 7.9. After 20 minutes ''on'' the reading was 7.7 - 7.5 .

Also, can a PEEK ELECTRONICS charger be used through the TX port? I have not done this, just inquiring?

Thanks,

Roy
I'm sure your asking Mike G, but I will answer that from other posts around the RC commnuties, the peak detecting chargers may not properly detect the voltages thru the charging port. I'd recomend direct to the charger.

Mike R
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 AM
MikeRuth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Hi Mike,

I followed your instructions & these are the results. Charged battery with supplied wall wart. Turned on TX & got a reading of 8.1 - 7.9. After 20 minutes ''on'' the reading was 7.7 - 7.5 .

Thanks,

Roy
Also it's my opinion that your pack has not reached it's peak voltage yet. Mine after coming off the charger are displaying 8.4 on the TX.
FWIW I used a Triton charger in NIMH mode and cycled it with a 500mah discharge and a 500mah charge rate roughly 5 times.

MIke R
Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
MikeGreenshields

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Peak does offer a plug adapter that works with Airtronics. And, they can be charged through the port. The ISSUE seems to be two fold.
1. Some chargers work, some don't. So, you'll simply have to try it to be sure yours works.
2. The charge jack is NOT made for high current. Sanwa engineers say no more than 500mah. We've run a little higher, but you cannot safely charge through the transmitter at even 1C (1500mah). Thus, a peak/fast charger is not really compatible with the radio through the charge jack.

You might consider adding a lead to the pack and charging directly to the pack.

Mike
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
roylab

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

What about the voltage fluctuation.
I followed your instructions & these are the results. Charged battery with supplied wall wart. Turned on TX & got a reading of 8.1 - 7.9. After 20 minutes "on" the reading was 7.7 - 7.5 .

Roy
Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Jetdesign

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love that 2 years into this radio, the only real problem people have is with the battery/charger =)

Did you cycle the battery a few times with a different charger? Sounds like the battery is not topped off. It is normal to drop a few volts initially, then maintain at a slightly lower voltage - especially when the battery wasn't truly 'peaked'.

Put the battery on a good computer charger and cycle it ~5 times. Then see what happens.

Or get a lipo and forget all about this.

Search this Thread