Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

SD10G servo saver???

Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD10G servo saver???

Is there a function on the SD10G that will allow me to bind a receiver and prevent the servos from killing themselves?

I moved a 10channel rcvr to a new plane and when I bound the receiver to the radio two servos went to their extremes and killed themselves (stripped two Hitec 225's).

thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
MikeRuth

Default RE: SD10G servo saver???

Hi Sparky, bummer deal , but I'm going to say without knowing all the details this is not a radio problem per se. It's user error, take that gently please

As I said I don't know the history, but when putting in a new RX into another ship and having the servo's connected to there surfaces we take a chance.

A servo saver is usually reserved for an RC car steering servo so they don't get broken in crashes. There not typicaly used on an aircraft.

In this case with what you have said, I would have...

1 started with a clean slate on the TX.
2. Bound it to the TX no soervo's attached.
3. removed all of the servo arms and then connected them to the RX.
4. Verified the direction of travel for each servo, adjusted as needed
5.reconnected the arms and carefully moved the servo's checking for binding and EPA, Hi/Low limit adjustments.

fortunetly all you need are a couple gear sets.

I've seen this happen to other flyers that got a used plane and put there RX in and or just bound up to the RX installed.

Mike R

BTW do you know about the SD-10G thread on RC Groups? it's here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...29192&page=295

Old 06-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things to note:

1. The 10 ch Rx doesn't output a signal to the servos until it links to the Tx. Don't know if this means anything with Hitec 225's.

2. The FHSS-3 system (10 Ch) and analog servos do not always mix well. Possible source of problem. Personally, I've had no luck with Hitec analogs and FHSS-3.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
MikeRuth

+1 to Thud driver on those two points.

Mike R
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
sparky4lawndart

thanks, guys...

I know I should have been more careful... I was just wondering if there was a cool center-everything-switch... I've tried the servo monitor.. but that wouldn't help.. what's the deal with analog servos? will they fail or function abnormally? I thought it was just a resolution issue.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM
MikeRuth

The deal is the FHSS3 RX's use the faster frame rate that the system is capable of. Anolog servo's do not always interput the data correctly from the fast rate.

It's a hit and miss issue, I had a cularis that I upgraded to a SD-10G and FHSS3 RX initally I thought I was ok but after a minute or so the servo's started going wild. If you want to use analogs then you absolutely have to ground test them for several minutes to assure you will not have a problem and even thne there coould be an issue later on.

When stepping up to the SD-10G and FHSS3 rx you really need to step up the servo's as well to digital.

In my case I back tracked to a FHSS1 8 ch RX and continued on with my Analog servo's. let me tell you this is a solid combonation. Range is not an issue. I gaurantee flying under visual line of site you will loose sight before you will loose signal.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
wphilb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A simple trick when switching over is to write down EPAs if youhave a radio setup, then lower them to like 25% each way and then increase until you get what is needed, trying to get to 125% or better to avoid stutter stepping that can occur at low EPA numbers.

Whit.

PS, I learned this step the hard way with a set of Hitec digitals on flaps... I let the smoke out! 
Old 06-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Pippin

Airtronics FHSS-3 ASC Rx for analog servos. Check it out:

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...ervo-comp.html