Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

LiFePo4 batteries in the SD10G

Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 AM
SeaJay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LiFePo4 batteries in the SD10G

Hello, all..

I was thinking about converting my SD10G to LiFePO4 (A123) battery packs. a 2s packs nominal voltage is 6.6 volts, which is below the alarm level of the tx, however, the 3s would be 9.9.. would this voltage be ok for usage with this transmitter?
I noticed in the manual that it states that the operating voltage of the SD is 6.7v - 10.2v. which the 3s LiFe falls within that range, I am just not sure how high the Packs get directly off of the charger.

thanks, Craig.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
ArchNemesis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LiFePo4 batteries in the SD10G

A123's usually come off charge at 3.7v so a 3 cell pack would be about 11.1 V.    I'd be careful trying to use them in the Tx.    A 2 cell lipo would be a better choice.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM
SeaJay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ArchNemesis,

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how high the A123's got when fully charged right off of the charger.. I am a bit leary (Still) of Lipos, although I will admit that I have never used them, other than a few 1s 180mAh batteries for my Micro P51..
I think I'll stick with the NiMh packs I have untill they need replacement, then I will revisit the subject about getting into LiPo cells. I just wanted to get something that I could charge quickly, so that If I am ever able to go flying again, I'll be Ready at a moments notice.

Thanks again, Craig.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 AM
gsmith6879

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SeaJay

ArchNemesis,

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how high the A123's got when fully charged right off of the charger.. I am a bit leary (Still) of Lipos, although I will admit that I have never used them, other than a few 1s 180mAh batteries for my Micro P51..
I think I'll stick with the NiMh packs I have untill they need replacement, then I will revisit the subject about getting into LiPo cells. I just wanted to get something that I could charge quickly, so that If I am ever able to go flying again, I'll be Ready at a moments notice.

Thanks again, Craig.
Craig,

Look into using the 2 cell Li Ion pack from Fromeco or other Li Ion sources. We have 3 of the SD10G's in our club and we all run these batteries with great success. The Receiver battery that Fromeco sells comes with the correct plug ready to charge and install.

Gaines
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Hughes500E

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Duralite has a 2 cell Lithium Ion pack for the 10G........... great fit, great quality, great battery.

I PM'ed you the link!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
SeaJay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks everyone for the Replies and advice, I will check on these sources.. 

Are the Li Ion packs a safer alternative to the LiPo cells?  I am not new to the Hobby by any means, but I am new to any other cells besides the NiCad and NiMh cells..  I will even have to get a new charger, as I have no chargers that are balance chargers.

Thanks, Craig.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM
SeaJay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Hughes500e..

I was just looking at them, might be just what the RC Doctor ordered! (SP)

Craig.

Search this Thread