Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

REPLACEMENT FOR RDS-8000 ?

hello everybody....i have been a airtronics fan for 25 yrs...has anybody heard of a replacement for the rds-8000 any time soon?....i tried a sd-6g ....i really liked the menu set up, but the gimbles felt very cheap...i then tried the sd-10g ....it is way more radio then i need.....so i switched back to the rds-8000...i would like a 7 or 8 channel transmitter with the new menu....it has been a while since airtronics has come out with something new....anybody from airtronics out there got some ideas?....thanks...pault

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: REPLACEMENT FOR RDS-8000 ?

The SD-5 and SD-6 have got the VG400/600 gimbals. The SD-6G is a beginners radio with lots of features. I think, the SD-6 even costs the same as the old VG600. But your are right, something like the RD6000 Super with 2.4Ghz and modern programming would be nice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SD10G is more radio than I need, too, but needed more than the RDS8000 myself. Cost is good, better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with Joe, the SD-10g is such a strong value in the $350 to $399 market segment that there isn't much point in coming out with a lesser model above the $219 price point.

I've been flying mine very regularly for fifteen months or so now, and with a wide variety of aircraft (helicopters, old timers, pattern, scale). If I ever find something to nitpick about the SD-10g as a radio platform I'll be sure to let you know, but so far it's been an absolute pleasure to fly with it.

I am surprised to hear that folks aren't impressed with the quality of the SD-6g. I haven't talked myself into buying one yet, but that is one hell of a nice radio for $179. I feel bad for other radio companies competing at that price point. Only the Hitec Optic 6 2.4Ghz transmitter has a similarly high quality ergonomic case, and nothing else in that price class is anywhere near as slick and easy to program. The advanced feature set of the SD-6g is only icing on the cake.
    Electric RC planes are like non-alcoholic beer, they are OK in a pinch if the real thing is not available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

..........i have been a airtronics guy for ever......airtronics hit a staggnant period before the rd-6000 came out. that radio put them back in the game...another staggnant period before the sd-10g came out.....another home run!......the sd-6g is a "ok "radio for the price....but spektrum and futuba have 6 channel radios in the same price range that have way better gimbles....pick up a sd-6g then pick up a spektrum dx6 or the futaba 6j-6 and there is a definite quality difference..the sd-6g gimbles feel like the springs are rubber bands..also the navigation pad is not as smooth as the sd-10gs....i recently took part in a poll on the airtronics web site titled "which airtronics radio do you own".......the rd-8000 was 27%..the next closest was the sd-10g at 17%.....obviously a quality 8 channel radio would be a good seller for airtronics ...anybody out there from airtronics gonna hit another home run soon?.......................pault

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do not know how many technicians work in the development department. But as far as I can see, these guys are very busy.

They made the new SD-10G, SD-5G, SD-6G, MT-4 and lot's of new receivers and servos.

Also, there is a new pistol grip radio soon to be released. And the all new telemetry box.

Also, there is the updated SD-10G Super we would like to see this year.

Btw,
    I have got the SD-6G as well. The gimbals improve after some "break in". In the air, you can hardly notice the difference to any other gimbals around. The springs are easily adjustable anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thinking about getting the SD-6G. I need some more receivers, figure I might as well take advantage of a combo deal and get a radio too.

Was between the SD6G, the SD5G, and the Aero Sport 5ch radio ($70 for a 2.4ghz 5 channel radio that works with Atx FHSS!). Could use the extra radio for motor stands, simulator, and of course a backup. Of course all of my planes require at least 6ch, so I gess ruled out the 5ch radios if I want to use the radio as a backup.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pippin
    But your are right, something like the RD6000 Super with 2.4Ghz and modern programming would be nice.
    Something like this?

Converted to 2.4GHz using a Frsky hack module..
    Please check out my pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello garcfield....i have a sd-6g for sale...75 bucks shipped....listed under radio equipment "transmitter only " here in rc universe "buy,sell"...pault

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still flying my RD 8000 I have owned it for many years it is still a great radio. Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anybody with a RD8000 they want to dispose of -gimme a shout, please !