Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

SD-10G Servo reversing under Flight Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SD-10G Servo reversing under Flight Mode?

Is it possible to program servo reversing with a flip of a switch? I own a 12X, don't think it could do it under flight mode. I think the SD-10G is more powerful under Flight Mode but not sure if this is possible, if not is there another location of programming that could achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
Barry
Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
ArchNemesis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SD-10G Servo reversing under Flight Mode?

I'm at a loss on this one.  To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to do this on the SD-10 (or any other radio that I know of).   Can you describe for me what you're trying to accomplish? That might help me understand better and maybe there's a way to achieve what you're looking for.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
marquisvns

OK, it might be risky, but here it is - say if one was to fly an lengthy inverted flight, one could opt to activate that switch to reverse pitch and yaw and dial in trim under that mode accordingly, now the plane flies normal but inverted, yes as I said, it's risky and probably just as difficult....
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
ArchNemesis

Hmmm....   Before I even suggest an idea, I have to go on record as saying I think it's a really REALLY bad idea.  Besides the obvious "lecture" that it's a crutch and you need to simply take some time and learn to fly inverted, it will also greatly hamper your ability to learn to roll properly, and eventually slow roll and point roll.    Even if it worked well once you were completely inverted, your transition in and out would be significantly worse as you would need to transition in prior to flipping modes and that would never be smooth. 

That said, you could probably accomplish this with an elevator "rate" that was set to 0% throw, and then use an Elev > Elev mix that put in opposite controls.  You'd need to set that all up on a flight mode and then switch to it.  You could do the same with rudder.   I'd have to try it to be sure. 

Did I mention that this is a REALLY bad idea??  Really really bad.  Uber bad.  Colossal "never start a land war in Asia" bad.     Just saying... 
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: ArchNemesis

Hmmm.... Before I even suggest an idea, I have to go on record as saying I think it's a really REALLY bad idea. Besides the obvious "lecture" that it's a crutch and you need to simply take some time and learn to fly inverted, it will also greatly hamper your ability to learn to roll properly, and eventually slow roll and point roll. Even if it worked well once you were completely inverted, your transition in and out would be significantly worse as you would need to transition in prior to flipping modes and that would never be smooth.

That said, you could probably accomplish this with an elevator "rate" that was set to 0% throw, and then use an Elev > Elev mix that put in opposite controls. You'd need to set that all up on a flight mode and then switch to it. You could do the same with rudder. I'd have to try it to be sure.

Did I mention that this is a REALLY bad idea?? Really really bad. Uber bad. Colossal "never start a land war in Asia" bad. Just saying...
Just want to make sure you heard Mark correctly:

Did I mention that this is a REALLY bad idea?? Really really bad. Uber bad.

+1

Learn to fly inverted the right way; you will thank yourself later...just because it *can* be done doesn't mean it *should* be done. Inverted flight is not that hard, just remember that down is up and up is...expensive.

-Mike
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM
marquisvns

Guys, thanks for your input, well capable of flying inverted here, just an idea that came up last week and have been in my mind. All adverse effect cautioned are obvious and well thought through, but I suppose not impossible to overcome with coordination or technique. Gonna play around with 12x with that principal mentioned, thanks again!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM
MikeGreenshields

Way back in the day the Futaba Gold series radio had an "invert" switch that would allow you to throw a switch and have the rudder and elevator reverse. It was mainly aimed toward the early heli aerobatic pilots. NO ONE used it. Caused more crashes than it ever helped prevent.

Just like turning "right/left" whether the plane's flying at you or away from you, inverted is the same thing. In fact all aerobatics are the same way. Don't fly from your perspective, fly from the plane or heli's perspective. I highly recommend you teach yourself to "put yourself" in the cockpit and learn the orientation that way.

Mike