Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

RCEXL Opto Kill and Airtronics 92824 receiver issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
sthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCEXL Opto Kill and Airtronics 92824 receiver issue

I’ve run into a vexing issue with a glow / gas conversion where I could use a little help. I’m converting to a DLE-20 with an RCEXL ignition, RCEXL tach, and an RCEXL Opto Kill Switch (version 1.2) the ignition is running off a 4.8v 2000mah NIMH battery. I was trying to control this with my trusty Airtronics RDS8000 with a proven Airtronics 92824 receiver running off a 2000mah 6v NIMH battery. I plugged the Opto Kill into channel 5 of the receiver to be controlled by the gear switch.

Well, the Opto Kill switch is exhibiting really weird behavior in that it turns on with the RDS8000 gear switch but the Opto Kill light blinks and will “reboot” the ignition every few seconds. I can tell the ignition is losing power as the tach resets and it is plugged directly into the ignition. Anyway, I started troubleshooting with various battery packs, etc. I believe I have it narrowed down to the Airtronics 92824 receiver model.

Basically I tried the following (making sure to pug each receiver into the same battery, switch servo setup when possible):

1) Swapped receiver out for a Spektrum radio / receiver and the optical kill works just fine.
2) Swapped the Airtronics 92824 receiver out for an Airtronics RX500 receiver (using the same RDS8000 radio on the same plane setting without changing ANY radio settings) and the optical kill works just fine.
3) I thought I had a bad receiver so I swapped the original Airtronics 92824 with a second Airtronics 92824 pulled from another plane and it exhibits the exact same optical kill / ignition reboot issue! I tried reversing the direction on the gear switch, using various endpoint adjustments, etc.

I guess I have a few questions:

1) Do you know if there are any reported issues with the Airtronics 92824 and the RCEXL Opto Kill switch? If so, are there any work arounds?
2) Is the RX500 receiver much different from the Airtronics 92824?
3) Is the RX700 more like the RX500 or the Airtronics 92824? I want to run this model off my Airtronics transmitter but I would like more than 5 channels.

Worst case I can replace the optical kill switch or the receiver. Do you know of any optical kill switches that are proven to work with the Airtronics 92824 receiver? Also, do you know if the RCEXL Opto Kill is compatible with the RX700 receiver?

This issue has been a real pain to troubleshoot but I’m pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the specific model receiver I’m trying to use. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:42 AM
john911
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RCEXL Opto Kill and Airtronics 92824 receiver issue

i use wike rc kill switches with that rx with sd-10 without problem.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 AM
mschulz531

I have an RDS 8000 and the 92824 8 channel RX controlling a DLE-30 on an SU-26 airframe. I also have the RCEXL opto kill switch on this system. The ignition is powered by a 4.8v nimh battery and the rx/servos are powered by a 7.2v life battery routed through a 6v voltage regulator. I originially had the kill switch setup on channel 5 and it worked for me just fine. A week later I dropped the TX and busted the gear swtich on the top left corner of the TX so I had to move the kill switch to ch 8 on the RX. To do this I had to insert a y-adapter so I could connect both battery and kill switch to ch 8. The toggle switch on the right side of the RDS 8000 (right next to the dual rate aileron toggle switch) is now used for my opto kill switch. I would have used ch 7 for this but I have dual elevator servos as well, so that took ch 7. You might try ch 7 for your kill switch instead of ch 5 just to see if it is something with the voltage level on ch5. I seem to remember something about needing to make sure the endpoint on the channel used for the opto kill switch needed to go all the way to zero, so if you don't have full range on ch5 that might cause the problem.
Hope this helps.
-Mike
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Do you know if there are any reported issues with the Airtronics 92824 and the RCEXL Opto Kill switch? If so, are there any work arounds?
Yes:
Extract relating to all ignition systemsfrom one of my earlierposts regarding Aftermarket Products:
"
- Similar problems/results reported with other brand TX may assist.
. Help with Opti Kill Switch 9C
. Help with Opti Kill Switch 7C
. Miracle Switch With Intermittant Wiring.
"He repaired it and checked his other Miracle switch finding wiring almost broken on that switch also."
"He was advised to build a platform to secure the repaired wiring to so that it won't vibrate and fail. " - 50cc Yak.

If using any form of aftermarket Opto-Coupled Remote Gas Engine Kill Switch, such as Opti-Kill
or other brand of electronic switch or electronic accessory / add-on, to prevent any potential conflict,
check for correct servo port setting as "Nor" or "Rev" to be used.
e.g. Opti-Kill's servo port should be "Rev" when used with an Aurora V1.08+. This is similar to using an ESC which works
with majority of brand's servo port set to "NOR" but will only work correctly with say Futaba TX set to "REV"
(e.g. all Futaba servos work in reverse direction to Hitec/JR/Sanwa/Airtronics etc.)

Otherwise, please refer direct to the owner, Ken Anderson, of "42 Percent Products Opti-Kill" .

. [B] Do Not Use RCEXL & Others which have a Common Ground (Negative) line as an Optical Kill Switch!
- refer pictures of circuit and How To Correct where possible.

3. EDL Kill Switch - ElectroDynamics, Inc.
- reply to an inquiry & reason some may experience problems with other type Opti-Kill devices but not an EDL Kill Switch.

4. RFI Prevention - Ensure "R" type plug and/or Cap is fitted to Petrol Engines.
quote: "There are two types of CM6 plug, one is standard NGK CM6 spark plug
but the one which should be used is the NGK CMR6A "R" resistor plug.
Spark Plug Caps, as pictured, rarely include an internal RFI suppression resistor."

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Diablo3Guide

i use wike rc kill switches with that rx with sd-10 without problem.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
ИгриDiablo 3 Skill BuildsDiablo 3 Hardcore
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Pippin

Have you checked AUX7 or AUX8 on your 8ch Rx?

The gear channel (ch5) is set to +/-125 EPA (basic setting). unplug the kill switch, set both EPA values (gear ch5) to +/-100 and re-plug the kill switch.

The RX500, RX600 and RX700 have got a similar PCB. Thus, the RX700 should works like the RX500. I just check the RX600 and this setup works fine on +/-100.