Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

researching a new radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default researching a new radio

I plan on getting serious about a new radio after this flying season. Currently, I've returned to RC after a 10+ year layoff and am using my old JR X-347 with a Spectrum 2.4 module in it. I currently have 3 RX's and could use one more to make things easy

So to the point.... I'm considering a SD10 as I've heard some very nice things about it. I'm not afraid of the TX price but buying RX's looks to be an expensive proposition. There seems to be a pot load of JR/Spectrum compatible RX's out for sale. Can the same be said about the Airtronics stuff.

Thank you!

Ken
Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Pippin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: researching a new radio

On those cheap JR/Spekrum clones, can you set Rx battery voltage warning and failsafe via the Tx? Do you get the same quality as the original stuff offers? How about service and support?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:44 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SD-10G is a great radio and the Airtronics RXs are more cost effective than genuine RXs from other companies. I bought mine when they first came out and I could have bought any radio out there. I admit that I now have a dog in this hunt but at that time I did not and was just "joe modeler".
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 AM
ArchNemesis

I'm also biased, but can very honestly say you won't go wrong with the SD10 and Airtronics in general.    Of the three major brands, Atx has by far the lowest Rx prices.  They do NOT have a hoard of knock off Rx's like Futaba and JR do, but you'll find more than a few comments on this site to make you wary of those Rx's.    There's a lot of places to buy generic in this hobby, I'm not sure your radio gear is one of them.

Congrats on getting back into the hobby and good luck!!  If you do indeed get the SD10 and have any trouble programming it, don't hesitate to send me a PM.  I'd be happy to help.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: Pippin

On those cheap JR/Spekrum clones, can you set Rx battery voltage warning and failsafe via the Tx? Do you get the same quality as the original stuff offers? How about service and support?

The clones go in the flat foamies that you can build/rebuild in about 10 minutes. Everything else gets the good stuff.

Ken
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

The SD10G is awesome. You can do so much with it, and 99.9% of the time you can do it without a manual in a matter of seconds/minutes. The JR menu never made sense to me, the Futaba menu made 'sense' but I didn't like it.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

The JR menu never made sense to me
My old X-347 could be more user friendly either. After you kind of figure it out you can use it but it takes a while and about three charges worth of fiddling.

Ken