Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

RDS 8000 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RDS 8000 question

Hello,
I read the manual, and tried to search here, but couldn't find the answer. So, here is my question. I would like to know if I can set up my radio so that when I flip channel 7 switch, the elevator trim will change. I have a plane (tail dragger) that needs several clicks of down trim for level flight. The plane flies great, it's just that if I try to take off with it trimmed out this way, it noses over.

So once airborne, I would like to flip a switch and fly level. Then after landing, flip the switch so that it goes back to the original elevator trim setting for take off.

Is this possible with the Airtronics RDS 8000?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 AM
mesaflyer

Default RE: RDS 8000 question

I guess not
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see why you can't do as you propose. You will have to use one of the customizable mix functions. Have you called Jack Albrecht at Airtronics Technical Support with your question ? The 800 number is on the Airtronics website.

The nosing over problem with tailwheel models is very common. I just sort of cock my right thumb back, holding a slight bit of up elevator, before adding power. Then as soon as I'm at full power I release the back pressure. It has the dual effect of keeping the model from nosing over and also keeps the tailwheel on the ground until there's a little more air flow over the rudder to hold the airplane straight.

Dick
Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

otrcman's suggestion is much better than using a trim switch to adjust from takeoff to level flight. On a tail dragger, you fly it whether you are on the ground or in the air. Use that thumb.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM
mesaflyer

Yea, I have used my thumb to hold the tail down a few times. It works, but this particular model noses over pretty easy if I don't return the trim to neutral. The other issue is that while starting my landing, I slowly returned the trim to almost neutral. It made it much easier to land that way. Not as twitchy I guess.

I'll try calling Airtronics, thanks for the tip.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM
wesaysoracing

why dont you use the throttle elevator mix
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: wesaysoracing

why dont you use the throttle elevator mix
I thought about that. The problem would be on take off when throttling up the elevator would have too much down trim and unless I hold it at neutral, the plane would nose over. I think it would work great for landings though.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the throttle to elevmix on your throttle channel. You will have to have the feature turned on first under the options screen. I use it to keep one of my planes from climbing too muchat full throttle because the incidence is off. But it is easier to use the elv to keep the tail on the ground. Just don't jamb on the gas at take off. On my warbirds I hold full elev to start, then ease off as Igain speed until the tail starts to lift off. I would also check your CG and your thrust angles on the engine. You really should resolve the issue mechanically first before resorting to radio mixing
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM
shamferj

Use a programmable mixer aux7 as master and elevator as slave. Flip aux7 switch in position you want mixer to turn on then enter in the p-mix your offset amount. I would start at 10% or less up elevator and adjust from there. Oh, and make sure you leave the ail-rud switch on or the p-mix will be turned off. I do this all the time with hand launch models so I don't throw the airplane into the ground. You also could use the gear switch to activate. Just make gear master in you p-mix.