Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

Composite insulators overview

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM
adamconant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composite insulators overview

Everyone is aware that electron movement under a magnetic flux follows Flemings left hand rule. Lot of literature is available on this. I have been exploring possibility of applying this to improve breakdown voltage in insulators. I did come across after lot of search that a paten was taken by Cheng et al Patent no 3.963,858 on 15 June 1976."High voltage electrical insulator adapted to prevent flashover".

Around 1976 composite insulators were not available. Hence the patent speaks about embedding permanent magnets in ceramic insulators.
Ceramic insulators are brittle and hence wall thicknesses are usually high.
Hence the surface field strength of embedded magnets is low and hence the effect of magnetic field on deflection of electrons is also low.
However in composite insulators, this concept can be easily applied - as it involves a process of injection molding of silicone around a fiberglass rod.
Fiberglass discs with magnets embedded with a particular pattern / density can be made by magnet manufacturers.
Magnet manufacturers are not composite manufacturers and composite manufacturers are shy of approaching magnet manufacturers- unless there is a strong market pressure to develop new products.
For the same string length, break-over voltage can be increased or margin of safety could be improved.
Is there any reason why such magnet embedded magnet composite insulators have not been developed?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Composite insulators overview

What in the world does this have to do with Airtronics? What happens when you click on the embedded link "composite insulators"?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

What in the world does this have to do with Airtronics? What happens when you click on the embedded link "composite insulators"?
it's a spammer...again...reported.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 PM
adamconant

Hah?What is wrong with my topic here?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: adamconant

Hah?What is wrong with my topic here?
What does this topic have to do with Airtronics?

Reported again...and user blocked this time.
Go away.