Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

Signal loss with SD10 G

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 AM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signal loss with SD10 G

I maidened an AJ Slick on Saturday and did a range check and found the servos acting very shaky. I investigated the cause and found where I had put one of the antennas was under a carbon fiber cross brace in the fuse. I moved the antenna and stuck it through the side of the plane to see if this made any difference. It worked perfectly and I continued the maiden flight. The plane took off and I started the trim process. At the far end of the field I started the bank to bring it back and lost signal and it went into the ground like a lawn dart with total distruction. After retriving it I laid it out on the ground and started looking for cause. The only thing I found was a small drop of CA on one of the ends of the antenna leads that was inside a piece of antenna tubing that was glued to the plane. I have 37 aircraft and never lost one due to lack of signal and find this quite unnerving. Now I don't trust my equipment. The radio is a SD10G and the receiver is an 8 channel 92824. Antennas are always placed at a 90 degree angle and the receiver is placed as far back in the fuse as practical. All the gas engine equipment is in front of the firewall. I have moved all my planes to another SD10G and want to send the radio and receiver in to have them checked. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts and where do I send the radio to have it checked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21471.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	1761182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24883.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	1761183  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 AM
ArchNemesis

Default RE: Signal loss with SD10 G

Send the Radio to Airtronics Service

Airtronics Service
18480 Bandilier Circle
Fountain Valley CA 92708

I would send them your complete description of events too.  That said, this sounds very odd for ANY 2.4 system much less this one.  I've never had so much as a glitch much less that kind of lock out due to radio interference.  I did lose power to the Rx once...that was catastrophic.  But never radio lockout like that.   

Send it in and see what they say.  Good luck!!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 AM
skysfallin

I agree, I have never had so much as a twitch out of this radio or any Airtronics receiver. I love this radio. When I got home I also load tested the switches, which were new, but I have had bad new switches. They showed good. I will send the radio and recever in for check out. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 AM
ToddNicholson

Please fill out this service request form and send it along with your radio.

http://www.airtronics.net/media/pdf/...ceForm2pgs.pdf

Best regards,
Todd
Team Airtronics
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

I agree, I have never had so much as a twitch out of this radio or any Airtronics receiver. I love this radio. When I got home I also load tested the switches, which were new, but I have had bad new switches. They showed good. I will send the radio and recever in for check out. Thanks for your reply.
We are flying 5 of the SD10G's with all of the current receivers being used in various glow, gas, and electric powered aircraft here in our small club and have had no signal or lockout issues. I hope you will share the results of the inspection by the Airtronics techs.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

We had one of four SD-10g radio systems in our club experience some pretty regular lockouts:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10691949/tm.htm

It turned out to be a weak/bad RF PCB. Airtronics support found it and fixed it, now the SD-10g is good as new again.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I just sent in my 10G to Airtronics for inspection and repair. My 10G's s/n fell into the group that needed an update, but I didn't know about the update until I went to their web site, last week. My 10G had two for sure lock out crashes, and one questionable. The questionable was so distroyed...even the servo's were torn appart...and I never found all the engine. Not a clue...all I know was that it went in to far away to fully see what took place. I lost two models I've been flying for several years, one an ugly stick twin-modified to have three engines and a .40 size ugly stick. Yes, I like ugly sticks... : )

I own and have flown the RDS8000 for years with no issues or problems. In fact my 8000 has been so rock solid its my favorate Tx. All I did is rebind my 10G to the models I was flying with the RDS8000.

I started to lose confidence in my 10G Tx with the second loss and after the third...I grounded the Tx until Airtronics takes a look at it. .

I'm an experienced r/c pilot and I've been flying Airtronics equipment since 1987 with their Module 7 Tx, on Channel 38. I've a P-38 that took a year to put together and a gas powered Ugly Stick, I just finished...to get a first flight. I'm bighten at the bit to get these models in the air...but I need to feel safe with my 10G first. I need the 10G for the P-38, but I can fly my new gas powered ugly stick with the RDS8000.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 AM
wphilb

I'm a bit surprised,we are flying three SD-10Gs, two of which got the update across 12 or so GS gas models and have had no issues at all. Can you describe the lock-outs please? What batteries were you using?

Whit
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Bob Paris

Dear Whit,
The lock outs were just that...I was flying my model and setting up to land, pulled the power back...and after that...no connection to the model. It just went in with no control. I'm using batteries I purchased from Peak Electronics...the best receiver batteries I've found so far. The batteries are nickle type, five cell, six volt units, @2000ma and I only use Peak Electronic chargers. I've used their chargers and batteries for years and I also have receiver voltage checkers on all my models. If I've no green light...I do not fly, period. I flew the models on my RDS8000 without any issues...but with the 10G, lock outs and loss of control. I'm flying along fat dumb and happy...and then I lose all control of the model.

I use plastic straws to keep my two receiver wires at a perfect 90 deg. to each other and all my radio gear is Airtronics. I was the only plane in the air at the time of the loss and the loss happened with my model less then 150 feet away from me.

Does this answer your question. My Tx did not have the update done, but now it is getting updated at Airtronics.

Bob
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
wphilb

Bob, offered in the spirit of not wanting planes to crash, if I'm talking to the converted mea culpa.

I like Peaks stuff, cycle the batteries and see what you get after the crash just to eliminate them as a cause,  also check the switches, I get the HD ones from NOBS and I run dual bats dual switches on my expensive planes, I've had only one servo die in all my years flying but have had several funky switches, IMHO all switches will eventually die and are the weakest link in our systems. Does the voltage checker show the receiver battery voltage under load? Static voltage is less important than voltage under load I'm told. 

Other thought is servo draw? You can really put a drain on a battery from multiple high torque digital servos, temp pull the battery down enough to go below the receivers working voltage. Do you have lots of digital servos? My planes with multiple digitals get the twin 2 cell 2300 mAH A123 treatment and so far so good. 

Other than that lets see what Airtx comes back with. I hate losing planes and hate more not knowing exactly why, I'd rather dumb thumb it in, at least then I know what to fix, ME!! 

Whit
Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Bob Paris

Hay wphilb,
I only use 94102's and 94322 Airtronic servo's. I also have new HS225MG's and HS85MG's in my newest model, but other then this...all Airtronics gear. In any wreck...I toss the switch, but again, I only use Airtronic switching harnesses. I have never used digital servo's and always use 2000 to 2200 ma nickel, five cell batteries. I only have lost models with my 10G...none with my RDS8000. My models tend to be in the .40 to .60 glow range, and I've just built my first gas model, with a RGC 20cc engine.

I use one 2000ma five cell for the ignition and one 2000ma five cell for the reciever. My receiver and ignition batteries are well aft of the ignition box, and as far aft as I can mount them, in the fuse (well aft of the trailing edge of the wing). I'm using one 94322 servo for the engine control, and four HD6001 servo's for the flight controls. This new model has yet to fly.

This is the first Airtronics Tx that has caused me trouble in over 25 years of using their equipment. I've tried to call Airtronics for two day's now, but all I've managed to get is their answer machine (My 10G should be there by now). I'm sure they will call me soon...for they have treated me well over the years...very well. I like my Airtronics gear...and hope to get my 10G back soon, fully updated and with all the new modifications going into this Transmitter. Nobody is perfect...neither is r/c radio gear. Other brands have had their share of problems...but surprised my 10G did. Airtronics have been so rock solid for so many years.

Thanks for the input,
Bob Paris
Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM
wphilb

Welcome and I'm sure they will, they have treated me and my family well for years now.

Whit
Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 AM
DennisD

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hay wphilb,
I only use 94102's and 94322 Airtronic servo's. I also have new HS225MG's and HS85MG's in my newest model, but other then this...all Airtronics gear. In any wreck...I toss the switch, but again, I only use Airtronic switching harnesses. I have never used digital servo's and always use 2000 to 2200 ma nickel, five cell batteries. I only have lost models with my 10G...none with my RDS8000. My models tend to be in the .40 to .60 glow range, and I've just built my first gas model, with a RGC 20cc engine.

I use one 2000ma five cell for the ignition and one 2000ma five cell for the reciever. My receiver and ignition batteries are well aft of the ignition box, and as far aft as I can mount them, in the fuse (well aft of the trailing edge of the wing). I'm using one 94322 servo for the engine control, and four HD6001 servo's for the flight controls. This new model has yet to fly.

This is the first Airtronics Tx that has caused me trouble in over 25 years of using their equipment. I've tried to call Airtronics for two day's now, but all I've managed to get is their answer machine (My 10G should be there by now). I'm sure they will call me soon...for they have treated me well over the years...very well. I like my Airtronics gear...and hope to get my 10G back soon, fully updated and with all the new modifications going into this Transmitter. Nobody is perfect...neither is r/c radio gear. Other brands have had their share of problems...but surprised my 10G did. Airtronics have been so rock solid for so many years.

Thanks for the input,
Bob Paris

Hey Bobby:

Any update on what was wrong with your SD10G? It's been a while since your last post, so I was wondering if they found anything wrong with it.

I've been flying mine for about 3 years with never a problem.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 AM
wphilb

Yes, I'm also interested as well, have several in my club now and no problems but would really like to understand the cause of your issue.

Whit
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
Yes, I did send my Tx into Airtronics and they did the up-date to my 10G. I've been flying it for three weeks now and no problems using -1 receivers. My 10G did have a faulty board and caused the lock out using -1 recievers.

I lost three planes...one a three engine ugly stick, an F-82 and a .46 size ugly stick (single engine). I'm currently flying a 20cc gas model with the 10G and so far no issuses with the reparid/updated Tx.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure they didn't offer to reimburse you for all 3 planes.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Buddy,
Nope...never received a dime for the losses, and they charged me for 10 sets of servo gears I ordered, to repair the ones in the wrecks-the rest I tossed out. Not much to do here, but accept it, for what it is. I've been using Airtronics gear since 1987 and Kraft before that. But it seems its harder to purchase their servo's anymore and for some reason, are not in the ball game like they once were. Its sad, for I've been a flag waver for them for years. Now I'm switching over to Specturm and I'm going to phase out my Airtronics usage.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad, I just purchased the 10 g to replace my rds 8000 which I have never had any issue with, except the lcd screen goes black with any exposure to sunlight. At $250 now for the 10G I could hardly go wrong but it is strange that you never really see any ads in the magazines for them anymore. I love the servo delay feature on my flaps.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

My SD10G has been more reliable than I could imagine. I never once had to re-bind anything, even after a couple of years without flying that particular model.

The OP (in 2012) talked about initial problems with reception prior to the failed flight, and even noted CA on the tip of the antenna wire. If I had issues with reception I would be very cautious after making adjustments, especially on a maiden. The way the method for correcting the reception problem was explained did not sound very thorough (hence the missed CA on the end of one of the antenna wires?)

A similar note, I feel like I would be pretty cautious after losing one or two planes, let alone 3? Why wait until 3 airplanes are lost?
I don't love the feel of my SD10G but I can't find a single other thing wrong with it to warrant an 'upgrade'. The programming is super easy, the radio is super reliable, and it has capability way beyond what most of us need. I choose to fly a few select airplanes that I really like and that to me are pretty expensive. I have never had a second thought about trusting the SD10G with any of it.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys.
I had no idea there was a problem with some of the RF boards, with the 10G. From what I can gather...it only happened with the -1 receivers, and only the -1's. If you were flying the -3 receivers, even with the bad RF boards, everything worked great. I fly a mixed bag of Airtronics receivers, some -1 and -3's. It took until the third crash that I understood I had a loss of signal, for on that flight I was close in on down wind for a landing, when I lost control. I lost some kit built models and that hurt, but not much I could do, but turn in the 10G to Airtronics. I posted on here of the problem, and someone clued me in on the service bulletin that was out on some 10G's. Mine fell into one group that had a faulty RF board. When I talked to Airtronics and asked them why I was not notified, I was told that they only notify those still under warrantee. I turned in my service card when I purchased the Transmitter and I told them I was not happy with their "not notifying every one under the service bulletin." I lost a three engine kit built ugly stick, a kit built slow poke and a really nice F-82 twin ARF. When I go to their web site, there are no more 94322 standard ball bearing servo's for sale or the smaller 94091's either...both great servo's and what I normally use on my models. So the only conclusion I could come to now is that Airtronics is beginning to fade in the hobby. Its sad, for they have some great gear...or used to have.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui