Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5-channel receiver problems and new receivers?

I'm a long-time Futaba user, but bought an SD-10G to upgrade to 2.4Ghz. I like the radio but, like others, am disappointed in the Airtronics receiver line and the fact that there are no 3rd-party receivers available for the radio. With my style of flying I'm happy to get planes up and down in one piece, so I invest as little as possible in my planes but ensure what's in them will do the job - e.g., why buy a 6-channel Rx when only four are needed? I'd buy the Airtronics RX500 but the few reviews I've read about the receiver have been relatively bad, some claiming loss of signal and crashes when used with an SD-10G. What have been your experiences with this combo?

From someone supposedly "in the know", Airtronics was to have introduced a new receiver line "at the first of the year(2014)". Anyone heard anything about that? Seems with Airtronics the year could be 201X, like with the SD-10G Super!

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I own two of the five channel receivers and have not had any problems. I have not seen any problems on either rcgroups or here at RCU. I am really happy with my SD-10. I fly everything from park flyers, giant scale warbirds and jets with it. I bought mine in Nov of 09.

Rod

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks for the response, Rod. It's always good to get positive feedback. I only have a few Airtronics RXs but am about to convert my 72Mhz planes to 2.4Ghz. The 5-channel RX will suit several planes, but was leary from the negative reviews.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a number of the RX60 park flyer 6-channel receivers and several of the RX500 5-channel full range receivers. I have been very happy with both models, and they represent the bottom of Airtronics air receiver line-up.

The original 92824 8-channel full range receiver is a particular favorite of mine; they've been so reliable for so many hundreds of flights that I'm not sure I'd believe it if I ever actually had one go bad.

I don't know if Hong Kong will ever decide to market a $6.99 6-channel Airtronics compatible receiver like they do for other brands. I can only tell you that money spent on Airtronics brand receivers or servos is money well spent. You'll still be flying with them long after you've forgotten how much they cost.
    When everybody is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks for the response, Big Ed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The earliest SD-10g's in 2007 & 2008 did have a problem with analog receivers as you describe. Sanwa realized this and had a free upgrade to fix the problem (new RF board). They had a list of serial numbers they posted on their website but it looks like it was taken down. I had mine updated and have been flying 5,6,7, &8 channel receivers with no problems. If you have still have a concern, email your trans serial number (inside battery door) to service@globalhobby.net ask ask if that trans is or is not part of the recall.

Found the serial number listing. http://www.airtronics.net/SD10GSB-11-17-2010
    Last edited by tigrejohn; 03-03-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrejohn View Post
    The earliest SD-10g's in 2007 & 2008 did have a problem with analog receivers as you describe. Sanwa realized this and had a free upgrade to fix the problem (new RF board). They had a list of serial numbers they posted on their website but it looks like it was taken down. I had mine updated and have been flying 5,6,7, &8 channel receivers with no problems. If you have still have a concern, email your trans serial number (inside battery door) to service@globalhobby.net ask ask if that trans is or is not part of the recall.

Found the serial number listing. http://www.airtronics.net/SD10GSB-11-17-2010
    Thanks for the response and the TX info, Tigrejohn! I didn't get this kind of feedback from Airtronics when I posed my question to them, just "Nope, no problems, everything is AOK!", and no mention of the earlier problem and its fix. I did check my TX serial number and it isn't on the list, so I'm good to go.
    Thanks again.
    B