Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

I need a small, quiet servo, a small receiver, and a small radio

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Dummyface1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a small, quiet servo, a small receiver, and a small radio

Hi, my name is Corey. I own a small company called "dummyface" I build ventriloquist dummies for vents all over the world. Currently working on my first RC model. It is a mask that will be worn by an audience member and controlled by the vent. The servo I tried is slow and noisy. I need small, fast, and as quiet as possible. Any ideas? Does anyone have a set up for sale? I also prefer a small radio as the one I am using for my prototype is huge and I only need up down (variable) Thank you thank you Thank you! If anyone wants to see the mask prototype it is on dummyface.net on my home page at the bottom
Old 12-09-2015, 12:24 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the servo noise comes from the gear train. Then, the motors and the driving pulses.
Analog servos may be slightly quieter than the digital ones. It might be possible to replace a gear train
with a belt and pulley arrangement. keeping it small would be a major effort.

A few years back, there were some moving coil servos used on ultra light weight models and some R/C toys.
I don't know if they are still generally available, or even suitable for your use.
It might be possible to use a pulse or analog driven and return spring loaded solenoid

2.4Ghz RX units are about as small as you can get. There are some TX RF modules that can be driven with
pulse trains from one of the small micro computers. The TX and RX modules are used to convert some of the older
72Mhz RC systems to 2.4Ghz Corona used to make several versions, as did others.

Are you located in cranberry country?

Decades ago, I and some others got into making an animated mask for a one time expo demo. We used long throw
speaker magnetics driven with audio signals and DC pulses. Things were much larger and too heavy by your standards.