Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

RD8000 LCD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 PM
JDIFLYRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RD8000 LCD

Hi all,
I bought a RD8000 early last year and I have been having one problem with it that I thought was normal for the type of display it has. The problem is blacking out in direct sunlight. I've read on some other post that others are having the same problem. I thought that is what happens to LCD's in the hot sun until a friend of mine in our club said that his did not do that. We took both transmitters out into the sun with them turned on. After a few minuets, mine was totally black and his was normal as can be. I know I messed up by not sending it back for service when it was still under warranty. The question I have is, can the transmitter be fixed. Since my friends stays OK in the sun, then I know that something has to be wrong with mine. If it takes replacing the LCD, then what kind of cost will I be looking at.
Thanks for your help in advance.

James
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 AM
ArchNemesis

Default RE: RD8000 LCD

James,

I'm not sure your's is necessarily broken/bad. The newer LCD screens that ATX now uses definitely do NOT blacken in the sunlight, BUT, the older ones, (and by older, I'm not talking all that long ago...pre SD10G though) definitely DID have this problem. Assuming yours returns to normal a few minutes out of the sun, and that the radio still functions fine when the screen is darkened, it may not be a problem,but simply an older unit.

I'm sure someone from ATX service will jump in here and answer your question about the price of replacing the LCD, but I just wanted to let you know so you could good decision about spending the money. I.e. it really may not need to be replaced except for you convenience in not having to worry about the sun. After owning stylus tx's for over 10 years (these always had this problem) i'm still in the habit of always setting the Tx with the screen facing away from the sun.

-Mark
Team Airtronics
Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
MikeGreenshields

You need to contact service directly for help on your screen

[email protected]
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
JDIFLYRC

Thanks for the response, I just sent an e-mail to airtronics as instructed.
again thanks.
James
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Let us know what they have to say, Because My RDS8000 blacks out in the sun also. I have had my radio for about a year now. although I have only had it do it to me once or twice when it was really hot (95 +/- degrees) here in the Florida sun. Depending on what they tell you, I might just send mine in for service also. It causes no problems to the radio(that I can tell), just more of an annoyance than anything!

Thanks, Craig.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
JDIFLYRC

Hello Craig,
Here is the reply I received from customer service. Yes it is an annoyance more than anything else. Especially when I don't look at my watch when I start up and I have no idea how long the flight has been. I will be sending mine back whenever the job I'm on goes into a lot of overtime and flying time will be curtelled.
Have a Blessed day
James

James,

The LCD cost $12.99 and labor is $25.00 and $8.99 for shipping back to you .

-Chris
Airtronics Service
18480 Bandilier Cir
Fountain Valley CA 92708
714-964-0827 ext 327
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

James,

That figures, having to pay around $45 to fix a problem that they should have fixed in the first place...

I have only had it occur a couple of time, so I guess I'll just live with it!

I wonder if mine is still under warranty...  Hmm, Might have to check on that!

Craig.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
cap10b

Hey all,
My RDS8K would blank out sometimes on extremely bight Texas summer days, I think it could be a heat thing as my radio was hot to touch because I was working on a motor installed on a plane on a test stand with the radio on and after an hour the screen began to fade and it went blank. Stopped working on the plane put the radio in the case and shut the lid after 3 minutes the screen was normal.
I flew this same radio on said bright hot sunny days and landed with the screen blank with no problems and again the radio was warm to the touch. Place the radio in the shade the screen comes back. The RF deck functions normal with no problems. I figure its just the type of LCD screen they use so you can see it without a back light. My Stylus and SD-10G on the same days does not blank out even after flying all day in the bright sun light.

Just my .02 worth

jds

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Pippin

You should try some UV proof film to cover the display.

http://www.cdynamics.com/sunlight-re...-displays.html
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
cap10b

Pippin,
Ur right if I had enough gumption to find some. Working on new plane for scale flying this weekend and UV screen cover is low on the priority list but it does sound like a good idea. Somebody point me in the right direction.

Ok rephrase that last statement somebody point me to a mom and pop electronics/computer store that does not require me to have a Gubment contract to procure from them.

jds