RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Airtronics Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airtronics-support-forum-516/)
-   -   Need help with SD10G Throttle Control (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airtronics-support-forum-516/10659749-need-help-sd10g-throttle-control.html)

Jetdesign 08-07-2011 11:08 AM

Need help with SD10G Throttle Control

I'm trying to set up my radio to have a low idle RPM (electric outrunner). I'm finding I have to start the motor spinning, then decrease throttle to find a low idle - can't get there just by slowly increasing throttle from stop (either by using stick or trim). If I find a low idle then stop the motor, have to go through process of starting and decreasing throttle to get back to the nice low RPM idle.

I tried playing with trim steps, throttle curve, etc. Motor seems to come on at -87%, then can adjust down to -91% for nice idle.

Why doesn't the motor start when I increase from -100% to -91%? Am I missing something?

Thanks for reading =)

ArchNemesis 08-07-2011 11:55 AM

RE: Need help with SD10G Throttle Control

Hey Joe,

that's not a radio issue but a motor issue.  The amount of energy it takes to START the motor spinning is significantly greater than the amount it takes to KEEP it spinning.  Thus you're able to set a lower idle.  Two things... One, depending on your speed controller, you can set the amount of start up energy it will supply.  Two, you're likely looking to have too low of an "idle".  You really need a moderate idle in the air to supply decent air over the control surfaces for Spins and Stalls. 

I use the "idle down" function for my flying idle.  Leave your trim all the way down and put your Idle Down on a switch and set that to your flying idle. 

Jetdesign 08-07-2011 03:53 PM

Thanks Mark. Would like to talk about this a little more. I've been flying with just 'regular' throttle and a brake at 0% throttle. Prop basically stops or just spins a few revs when I brake. Not happy with no airflow over surfaces although the plane really does slow down quickly.

I now have the brake on a switch for when needed (spotter carrying plane or landing, etc.) and am trying to figure out a good method for idles.

I have the Phoenix ICE HV, says something about start up energy but don't really understand it yet (maybe just added to my firmware?).

Are you using two idle speeds - one for flying and one for braking? Maybe that's what I'm really trying to do?

Thanks =)

ArchNemesis 08-07-2011 04:22 PM

You do want to have a higher flying idle.  And the "brake" is only engaged when you have your idle ALL the way down. 

I have 'Idle down' on switch #1 and I keep my throttle trim all the way down.  Idle down (when it's turned on) lets you set a fixed throttle trim position that won't change with the trim tab.  So put Idle down on a switch, turn it OFF, set your throttle trim all the way down.  Plug in your batteries and then go to the idle down menu.  Turn the switch ON and then set the value to a reasonable idle...More than just barely turning.  Mine is set fairly high but sufficiently low that the model would easily sit still on a paved runway.

At this point, you're all set. Just have the switch off when you plug in your batteries (if you're not using fixed endpoints on the ICE controller find that on another thread here as thats a good set up too).  Then when you're ready to go, flip the switch and you'll have your flying idle.  When you want braking, flip the switch off.  I have my controller set to 30% braking FYI.