RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Airtronics Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airtronics-support-forum-516/)
-   -   SD 10G or what? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airtronics-support-forum-516/11428955-sd-10g-what.html)

Checklst 03-02-2013 10:11 AM

SD 10G or what?

Hey guys..........Just starting my search for a new radio like the SD 10G .............been in this hobby for 34 years. Started out on Airtronics XL6 and had a Futuba FG7 and went to a computer radio about 7 years ago JR9303.........the 9303 is a 2.4 conversion is getting a little long in the tooth,like me...LOL

Way past the concern of what brand has the most bling or who can hype the best..............I am looking for opinions on how easy it is to program?!!!!!! The JR9303 was,and still is a bear to program basic stuff not the most intuitive........ I am a Kiss kinda guy don't do a lot of fancy setups just your basic 2 aileron 2 elevator, 1 rudder 1 throttle.............use the gear channel mostly for the IBEC shut off gas ignition system. After basic setup I am careful in my plane setups to make sure endpoints/travel are adjusted properly so not to over work the servos or batts.

I not a 3d flyer.............just a little IMAC(not for completion)a smooth take off and a smooth 3 point landing put a smile on my face................Does the SD-10G fit the bill on easy of basic setup. Most of the Flyers at my field are DX8 owners......and they say the DX8 is way easer than their Futuba radios were.

Thanks guys for taking the time.

dspielma 03-02-2013 10:43 AM

RE: SD 10G or what?

I am using the SD-10G for gliders and electric sport flying. I like the programing and don't find it difficult. It is different than the Futaba 9C and the Stylus. I do have a resource to half a dozen other users in my club.

Flight mode trim is really nice. Many of the users in my club love the trims. The same surface can have different trims depending on the mode you are in. This makes it easy to adjust trim during flight in one mode without affecting another mode. IE adjust the trim during thermal, and launch and reflex trims are unaffected. I just checked hobby people.net and the price is $300 with a 7 channel receiver and $329 with the 10 channel.

I'm using FHSS1 because I don't have digital servo's. The club members who have FHSS3 say the flight response is crisper and confidence with range feels more comfortable. FHSS1 has been fine for my use.

David

wphilb 03-02-2013 11:32 AM

My family has three of the SD-10gs and love them. I find the programming easy enough, I like that you can setup a "Custom" menu with all the functions you want to access on one menu. <div>
</div><div>I also like the stick switch feature, it allows you to use any stick and any position of that stick, as a switch. For instance I don't land at full throttle, but I use full throttle or close to it for aborted landings. So I have a stick switch that at 3/4 throttle and above, raises (slowly) my flaps and gear. So if I come in for landing at an event like WOD and at the last minute my caller tells me the field is now "foul" due to whatever reason, I can just increase throttle and fly the plane back up into the pattern, the radio handles the gear and flaps for me. Then at altitude with more time on my hands I can throw the proper switches for gear and flaps or come back around and allow the radio to lower gear and flaps again as I reduce throttle. </div><div>
</div><div>Whit</div>

I ALSO FLY RC 03-02-2013 01:07 PM

I have written approximately 12 AERO setups for the SD-10G which might give you an indication as to how easy it is to program the SD-10G..... If you would like to have them or want more information on the SD-10G, please call.

AIRTRONICS TECHNICAL SUPPORT
800-262-1178

Checklst 03-02-2013 04:00 PM

Thanks Guys.........that is the info I was looking for. I saw the User guide, Quick start up guide,and Aero setups .............the quick start up and User guide look straight forward enough...........much easier than what I am use to on the JR. I also liked the Aero guide for the detailed follow the instructions to set up some more complicated type setups......most beyond what I need.

Thanks this really helped.

mschulz531 03-02-2013 07:06 PM

I use the SD-10G for gas airplanes in the 70" range and it sounds similar to what you are looking for. The SD-10G is very easy to program and I was able to do most of it without even using the manual. I do recall looking in the manual when I was adjusting the throttle curve, which turned out to be very easy as well.

ORIGINAL: Checklst

Thanks Guys.........that is the info I was looking for. I saw the User guide, Quick start up guide,and Aero setups .............the quick start up and User guide look straight forward enough...........much easier than what I am use to on the JR. I also liked the Aero guide for the detailed follow the instructions to set up some more complicated type setups......most beyond what I need.

Thanks this really helped.

aydin3 03-03-2013 02:08 PM

the SD-10G is the easiest radio to program that Ihave ever had, or tried to use. I use it of gliders and electric power right now and am starting to get into helicopters and that programmming looks to be just as easy to get to grips with.

get one you will not be disapppointed!:)

Dave Langridge

bigedmustafa 03-07-2013 02:37 PM

I find my SD-10g very easy to program for fixed wing aircraft. The swash mixing menu was a little confusing to me for setting up helicopters, but I've managed well enough. Of all of the other radios on the market, I can only point you to the Hitec Aurora 9 as another option that is super easy to program.

I've been flying my SD-10g for three seasons now, and I'm extremely happy with it. I wouldn't consider buying another radio, unless Global and Sanwa announce something spectacular at Toledo next month that I just can't live without! :p

Dave763 04-04-2013 11:16 AM

I just am getting back into the hobby. I just bought a 10G to replace my 9c. I looked at the 10c but after looking at the specs and price, it looks like the 10G is the obvious choice. I almost wanted to just go with my old 9c 72mhz setup because it always worked.
This is my first 2.4ghz system.

shamferj 04-13-2013 01:27 PM

The 10G is very easy to program and is as logical as the 9c. I have a 9c and a jr 11x as well. the jr radios are a little more cumbersome. I have two sd-10g's cause i love them so much! You really can't outgrow it and is a high quality radio for the money.

Dave763 04-14-2013 03:18 AM

Well I set up my Katana with the 10G. Everything was easy to find and easy to set. I think it is easier than my 9C. I have the reciever plugged into a Smartfly Power expander pro. With 9 servos that made it real easy to plug it all in. 2 5200mah lipos into 2 regs right to the power expander.
I was using 2 72mhz recievers to handle all the servos before.