Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Just what we need with the new FCC regulations coming up!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...no-arrests.ars

Were they AMA members?

Brad
Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
The Toolman

Default RE: Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

I think it was neat. They got good coverage all over the news.....

Appears Trappy's from Austria an already a bunch of other good videos on his profile page over at the other forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=140585
Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Arbo

Default RE: Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Silent-AV8R

RCG has had several threads on this. Apparently the pilot is from Austria and is well know in the FPV community. He is reported to be very skilled. My opinion is that skill is not the same as good judgment. The plane was a smallish foam wing, not that it matters. This is an awful thing to have out there.

I have also heard that the FAA is done with the model section of the proposed part 107, so it may not really matter.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 PM
The Toolman

The thread he started is 104 pages long......
Old 12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

Just another example of why people want to separate the FPV group from "traditional" RC flyers. Either way this guy is not helping anyone is he?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Arbo

As I posted elsewhere:

The sUAS-ARC recommendations says:

"Model Aircraft are limited to unaided visual line-of-sight operations. The Model
Aircraft pilot must be able to see the aircraft throughout the entire flight well
enough to maintain control, know its location, and watch the airspace it is operating
in for other air traffic. Unaided visual line-of-sight does not preclude the use of
prescribed corrective lenses."

I have seen nothing that suggest they plan to make any significant changes to section 3 (which the above comes from). This line all by itself would already remove FPV flying from the hobby.

I can't help to think that this incident, which has garnered nothing but positive press (other than a few people who have attacked the pilot in other places on the web), most likely will effect nothing.

And I can't help but think the big defense contractors that have pretty unlimited funds will ensure that their mega dollar technology will not be shown up by the small people... and thus their desires (ie money) will ensure things are written they way they want it, rather than the way we want it. Which is sadly, nothing out of the ordinary for how government appears to operate, and a great way to kill real innovation (I think you'll find a good bit of it really comes from the hobbyists and their ideas).

I don't think this is an 'end' to RC flying. Just as I didn't think the horrible heli incident was the end of things (event though many seemed to think it was). The rules are written, eventually we will get to see them and comment on them. If they care about the comments or make changes based on them may well have more to do with lobbying power and money than our concern.

If we want the regulations to not choke the hobby, what we need is a much larger membership. We need the numbers to matter on a lobbying front, to matter much more than we do now. That is the answer to the often asked question "why does the AMA need to grow". In numbers there is power, in numbers there is money, in numbers we are more likely to be heard.

For those that want to rail on about AC 91-57 and the 400 foot thing, the first line of AC 91-57 states:

"1. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages voluntary
compliance
with, safety standards for model aircraft operators. "
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 AM
tinner1

"Model Aircraft are limited to unaided visual line-of-sight operations.
I can't believe anybody in their right mind would believe this "stunt" won't be turned AGAINST RC flying and our hobby in general! The article even stated the pilot was flying FPV, and did not maintain visual contact with the model, a direct violation of the above "bolded". Sure the "cool" factor is there but the negative impact can't be ignored. The cops and others in NY that didn't find anything wrong with this video will make NO difference with the FAA and homeland security.
For those that want to rail on about AC 91-57 and the 400 foot thing, the first line of AC 91-57 states:

"1. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages voluntary
compliance
with, safety standards for model aircraft operators. "
The people at the FAA will surely see there is NOT "voluntary compliance with, safety standards for model aircraft operators". This won't be seen as a "plus" for modeling, I assure you, but rather another example of how RC members are NOT operating by current "voluntary" standards. The videos creators even admitted they didn't secure permission because I'm sure they knew they would be turned down. The reasonable thing to do would have been to get permission FIRST. Because of these kinds of actions the FAA WILL see a need for more stringent rules and use these kind of stunts as proof. When they do, ALL you supporters of these kind of stunts can take ALL the blame...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM
My Feedback: (1)

This is not just about us, and not just about FAA.
This is about public opinion, since the video has been shown nationally on TV.
We really don't need the negative (to some folks) publicity.
This guy from Austria came over here and shoved his little act in our faces.
It may well be that the die is cast concerning new regulation, and that his
flight over NYC may have no impact on that.
I'd still like to kick him in the goods for it.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 AM
tinner1

All anyone has to do is go on YouTube and view the crazy things they do around the world. I have seen videos flying from balconies in high rise apartments, down busy streets just above cars, and several others. We don't need that junk here in the US with all that is going on.

Example..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgWIdpegfuc
Old 12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Arbo

The chicken little attitude, as well as threats of violence, will hurt the hobby far more than what this guy did.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: tinner1

All anyone has to do is go on YouTube and view the crazy things they do around the world.
I keep saying this, "The FAA has the Internet and they know how to use it". They are more aware of what is going on than many want to admit. This will also be an issue after the new rules are in place. You can count on some fool posting a "Hey, look at me ignoring the FAA".
Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM
bradpaul

It is especially interesting to see one of "the official" moderators on the AMA Forum taking a adamant position in support of what this "FPV pilot" did.

I really question if Dave Mathewson and the EC share the same opinion as their forum moderator does.

Brad
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Arbo

More lies Brad.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Arbo

The chicken little attitude, as well as threats of violence, will hurt the hobby far more than what this guy did.

I'm with you arbo, I think it's much ado about nothin'
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
bradpaul

ORIGINAL: Arbo

More lies Brad.
That is a acquisition with nothing to back it up...... let's see

Are you a moderator on the AMA forum ... yes
Have you supported what the FPV pilot did in your posts on the AMA forum .... yes
The question if Dave Mathewson and the EC feel can be answered by them.

So pray tell what lie(s)........ Arbo.

By the way I deliberately did not name you in that post, thank you for coming forward and identifying yourself.

Brad
Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Arbo

How old are you? I'm guessing early teens...

I have stated, just as I have in this thread, that what he did is not the end of the world. That the coming regulations, which currently ban FPV, have already been
written. That is not supporting the pilot, that is shooting down the idea that the pilots actions will get FPV banned. I am sorry if you are unable to differentiate. And I
am sorry if reality get's in the way of yet another of your, not based in reality, rants.

And I know the only reason you posted your comment, as do you.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM
tinner1

ARBO
How old are you? I'm guessing early teens...
AHHHHA...personal attacks. Nice "adult" comment. And coming from someone who ALWAYS says the "other guy" started the personal comments...

ARBO
That is not supporting the pilot, that is shooting down the idea that the pilots actions will get FPV banned. I am sorry if you are unable to differentiate. And I am sorry if reality get's in the way of yet another of your, not based in reality, rants.
And I am sorry that YOU can't differentiate things. If you can't see that this CLEARLY shows people in the RC hobby "BLATANTLY" dissreguarding "voluntary compliance" with FAA and others suggested safety regulations, I suggest you stop trying to make others look like they are as guilty as you are yourself. As a moderator on the OFFICIAL AMA forum, you of ALL people should be "setting the example", and NOT "being the example". You as a voice (moderator) of the AMA should be presenting a positive representation of the AMA and its goals and its actions by its members. I too question what Dave was thinking when he appointed some of the Mods on the AMA forum.

ARBO
And I know the only reason you posted your comment, as do you.
Please enlighten us with your insight into what a poster's reason for a post was?! I have no idea what was on his mind. Or are you accusing someone of having a hidden agenda? Something you are VERY quick to do in the past.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:09 PM
tinner1

I find it really funny/sad actually, how the same guys who constantly put the AMA down, support things like this that will, in the end, do more harm than good to our hobby. And before those same guys jump all over me for my post, PLEASE explain to me how this can be even remotely be a "Good" representation of our responsible actions as RC hobbiests?!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Arbo

AHHHHA...personal attacks. Nice ''adult'' comment. And coming from someone who ALWAYS says the ''other guy'' started the personal comments...
The other guy has a history of starting things. I am sorry you don't get to see a lot of it since most of the trouble he starts get's removed on various forums. I feel it is appropriate to ask his
age, as it might well explain his behavior. And asking someone their age is not a personal attack, though there seems to be quite a few folks who do not understand what compromises an actual
personal attack.

And I am sorry that YOU can't differentiate things.
I can differentiate just fine. I have been following what is going on, and very well know that the documents available that show the direction they are heading, ALREADY would make FPV illegal. That others
seem unable to grasp that point is not my problem.

I too question what Dave was thinking when he appointed some of the Mods on the AMA forum.
Feel free to send him an email or PM questioning his decision. It is your right. I wonder though, do you even use that forum?

Something you are VERY quick to do in the past.
Another false claim. I so very much love reading fiction.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
tinner1

Feel free to send him an email or PM questioning his decision. It is your right. I wonder though, do you even use that forum?
Once they appointed a person with a history of getting banned/put "on vacation" on RCG as a MOD I quit posting. I feel that showed how useless that forum has become.

As to contacting Dave with an email or PM...I don't send emails to the AMA with complaints. If you read and remember anything I post on these forums you would know I go directly to the head of the horse. I don't waste my time with the other end. I will be calling the AMA/Dave first thing Monday morning to personally state my displeasure with his choice of Moderator, and that individuals stand on such an important issue.
Another false claim. I so very much love reading fiction.
NOT a "false claim" or "fiction". I'm just reporting history...YOURS.

EDITED "bold" above to correct my incorrect reference to RCU. I should have said RCG. Sorry for the mixup. The "facts" are the same just the forum in question was in error..
Old 12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
bradpaul

You are going to love this one:

I reported a post on the AMA Discussion Forum in the thread on this same subject as this thread, which was made by a moderator (yes the AMA actually allows moderators to post in threads they moderate) as a "personal attack"......... guess who moderated the report......... yes the same moderator that posted the reported post......... well guess what he thought his own post was OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conflict of interest......................... ????????????????????????????

No just normal moderation on the AMA Discussion forum.

Brad
Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Arbo

ORIGINAL:
Once they appointed a person with a history of getting banned/put ''on vacation'' on RCU as a MOD I quit posting.
Don't know any moderators there that were banned from RCU. Who are you talking about?

I will be calling the AMA/Dave first thing Monday morning to personally state my displeasure with his choice of Moderator, and that individuals stand on such an important issue.
I'm sorry you seem to think that somehow moderators at a different site are somehow on the EC and the 'voice' of the AMA. They are not, there are individuals,
tasked by management to enforce the rules that management put in place, ensuring that nobody, including ourselves, steps out of line of those rules.

NOT a ''false claim'' or ''fiction''. I'm just reporting history...YOURS.
Yeah, sure. I won't even bother to ask you to provide the proof for such a silly claim, as we both know it does not exist.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Arbo

Brad, that was not moderation, that was an explanation to you that posts that ask other users to clarify their statement (which the user gladly did and I thanked him), are NOT personal attacks. Which is what you reported the post as. After leaving you that explanation the ticket was left open for the other moderators and admins to review as well. Nothing nefarious as you suggest.

I am willing to explain what constitutes a personal attack if you need further clarification.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Zoobear
My Feedback: (95)

The video was really well done but the pilots are IDIOTS. I would bet their Names and Addresses aren"t in the plane.This is just another example that People with poor judgement are dangerous no matter what the activity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.