Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Support for Regulations By The FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Support for Regulations By The FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Support for Regulations By The FAA

Airplane Experience - 7 years building
- 4 years operating
- Advanced pilot
Heli Experience - 2 years building
- 2 years operating
- Beginner pilot

I am currently a Team Lead member of the Strategic Task Force reviewed and assembled by the AMA whose sole objectives are to increase our AMA memberships and impact within our communities. One of our current tasks is reviewing AMA sanctioned clubs and how to better involve them and grow memberships and increase visibility.
Your advances in operating for only 4 years is very impressive. OTOH not stating your name, while claiming to be of high rank in the AMA's so called "Strategic Task Force", does not impress me. Yet, searching for information for your task is impressive, but negated when you express a desire for FAA regulations over model airplanes not used in a commercial operations.

Since you already have such a desire, I cannot support your efforts. You say you are well informed about the FAA. If you do desire any government control of aeromodeling, then I associate you with another AMA appointed individual, Chairman of the Leader Member Development Committee, (or something like that) who, in my Learned Opinion, has zilch qualifications, but can say "Yes Sir, Yes Sir, three bags full" very loudly and often. All these things are, again IMO, just typically bureaucratic malarkey.

I COULD go on forever, but RCU is not the place.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horrace,
His full name is in his profile on the AMA forum which he has only posted to twice.

Regards
Frank
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM
crustychief

This is exactly why progressives need to be dealt with, the sheeple that follow them as well.
 I fly to pursue happiness  that makes it a right. Vegas is dead on. I refuse to call it a privilege, I suggest anyone reading this thread or other drivel like this thread do the same. 
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: apwachholz

All -

My goal is not to ''stir-the-pot'' but, rather to gain insight from the rc community about the pending FAA regulations regarding airspace in the United States. I, for one, am prepared for and welcome possible regulations to our hobby by the FAA.

Over the years, I've seen or witnessed one too many untrained rc pilots produce 'arial missiles' of their large aircraft in locations that endanger the citizens of the area. I think the time for regulating certain sized rc aircraft is in order. For me, we need to prove our abilities like those who need to prove the ablity to fly full-scale.

Flying radio control aircraft is a privilege, not a right. A show of support from us, regardless of the regulations passed, proves we respect those privileges and are open and willing to learn new ways. I believe these pending regulations will, in the end, make our community stronger. Rather then point out what these pending rulings prohibit, let's exploit what it allows.

A few links for reference:

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsId=6287

http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/ama-faa.aspx

So after the government is regulating what you do in your own bedroom will that be enough? Your "inch" on FAA regulations will give them a mile, then a mile somewhere else and so on until ultimately, every aspect of our lives is being regulated by government. Support of, and the imposing of, government regulation is NEVER a good thing. Those of you who will refute what I just said obviously don't understand what government regulation is, compared to the rule of law.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Airplane Experience - 7 years building
- 4 years operating
- Advanced pilot
Heli Experience - 2 years building
- 2 years operating
- Beginner pilot

I am currently a Team Lead member of the Strategic Task Force reviewed and assembled by the AMA whose sole objectives are to increase our AMA memberships and impact within our communities. One of our current tasks is reviewing AMA sanctioned clubs and how to better involve them and grow memberships and increase visibility.
Your advances in operating for only 4 years is very impressive. OTOH not stating your name, while claiming to be of high rank in the AMA's so called ''Strategic Task Force'', does not impress me. Yet, searching for information for your task is impressive, but negated when you express a desire for FAA regulations over model airplanes not used in a commercial operations.

Since you already have such a desire, I cannot support your efforts. You say you are well informed about the FAA. If you do desire any government control of aeromodeling, then I associate you with another AMA appointed individual, Chairman of the Leader Member Development Committee, (or something like that) who, in my Learned Opinion, has zilch qualifications, but can say ''Yes Sir, Yes Sir, three bags full'' very loudly and often. All these things are, again IMO, just typically bureaucratic malarkey.

I COULD go on forever, but RCU is not the place.
+1 Hoss
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

This whole thing is very troubling to say the least. Unfortunately, people in this country today could care less about pending government restrictions, much less as to how they affect toy airplanes. The simple fact is, as long as people have their 6 pack of beer and their football game on the flat screen, nothing else matters. They care way more about how big a **** Donavan McNabb takes everyday and what's going on inside their iphone than about erosion of THEIR OWN LIBERTIES. Many now would prefer total guaranteed safety to liberty anyway, so it's not even an issue with most people. The bottom line is all any of us here can do is 1. Be smart, don't do anything with your airplane that will bring negative attention to the hobby, 2. Join the AMA, 3. Write letters to your elected officials explaining your concerns. Beyond that, we're all just along for the ride. [&o]
Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The FAA is probably the third most beuracratic (IRS and the military are the worst) and probably the second largest money waster (the military being the worst). They and the NTSB don't even get many of the crash's right!
SP, while you have been making some good posts lately, you are off the deep end with that later statement. The NTSB does a pretty darn good job of investigating and documenting the vast majority of all air crashes. I know they did a thorough job on the crash I had in 1978..... Read the book about the crash of USAir flight 427 in Pa to get an idea of how hard and long they work to get the correct answers.

Show me three cases where they got it wrong, with documentation, to back up that silly statement of yours....
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

.....................Over the years, I've seen or witnessed one too many untrained rc pilots produce 'arial missiles' of their large aircraft in locations that endanger the citizens of the area. I think the time for regulating certain sized rc aircraft is in order. For me, we need to prove our abilities like those who need to prove the ablity to fly full-scale.

Flying radio control aircraft is a privilege, not a right. A show of support from us, regardless of the regulations passed, proves we respect those privileges and are open and willing to learn new ways. I believe these pending regulations will, in the end, make our community stronger. Rather then point out what these pending rulings prohibit, let's exploit what it allows.
To answer your basic question: The rules and safety code we operate under now are more the sufficent to manage model aircraft in general and large aircraft over 55lbs and large turbine models in particular. Our current safety record speaks for itself.

Additonal unneeded regulations will have a detrimental effect on the hobby.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

The FAA is probably thethird most beuracratic (IRS and the military are the worst) and probably the second largest money waster (the military being the worst). They and the NTSB don't even get many of the crash's right!
SP, while you have been making some good posts lately, you are off the deep end with that later statement. The NTSB does a pretty darn good job of investigating and documenting the vast majority of all air crashes. I know they did a thorough job on the crash I had in 1978..... Read the book about the crash of USAir flight 427 in Pa to get an idea of how hard and long they work to get the correct answers.

Show me three cases where they got it wrong, with documentation, to back up that silly statement of yours....
Hmmmm....
+1
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Gentlemen,

We all know AMA members who only follow the "rules" when they feel like it. Hell, own club just elected a president that believes in braking all rules he wishes under the gyes of "having fun".

These are the AMA members that have the portentail to bring the FAA down on us all. Sorry to say in our club, acccording to the Pres "having fun " braking the rules is OK. The few of us
who have pointed this out are being accused of being overly saftey concerned. The Pres is very involved with all the new EDF Jets, and believes that because the are foam and have no props
they can't hurt anyone. His lack of conern about saftey sets a poor example and is an accsident waiting to happen.

I don't know what the FAA will do, But stunts like flying in NYC etc..... Having fun, will bring the heavy hand of the FAA down on us all.

Chris923
Old 12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
rivnut13
My Feedback: (24)

My 2 cents, if the FAA starts requiring registration of RC airplanes, many states, desperate for revenue will follow suit. Most likely under the guise of "using those funds to fund public land for use of your airplane" except, there is NO public land use for model airplanes. Ask anyone in Massachusetts who owns an ATV. Oh you want to fly RC? $40 bucks to register EACH airplane! Sorry to sound paranoid, but RC aviation is not even on the radar for that kind of government attention, let's keep it there.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

There is nothing about this administration I trust. I have worked for County, State and Federal Agencies over the years and I have never witnessed what I have seen over the past two years, I'm 67 and live in a Red State for a reason!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

There is nothing about this administration I trust. I have worked for County, State and Federal Agencies over the years and I have never witnessed what I have seen over the past two years, I'm 67 and live in a Red State for a reason!

Of course the FAA situation has nothing to do with this administration. The FAA started this process under the previous administration, not that it matters.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: rivnut13

My 2 cents, if the FAA starts requiring registration of RC airplanes,
Nowhere has there even been a hint of that so I think you can rest easy on that account.

People have to get it straight in their heads that the FAA is moving towards regulating COMMERCIAL and PUBLIC AGENCY sUAS used for compensation or hire. Whatever effect the new rules have on us will be collateral damage due to their need to define what we are so they can exempt us from regulation.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

My biggest problem with this whole deal is the FAA still does not consider model aviation as an aviation related activity. You can't shut down a F/S airport, that receives gov. funding, for model activities because it is not aviation related. They do want to regulate it under aviation rules though. If they can regulate us then they will be admitting we are an aviation activity, and therefore should be entitled to some of the gov. funding allotted to aviation. I am not so naive as to beleave that they will see it that way, however the courts may. This could very well turn into a lawsuit. That is if the AMA or other groups have the inclination, and/or funds, to bring suit.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
GerKonig

Really? Ever heard of the Patriot Act in the red state? If you trust those guys you really have no clue what happened during those 8 years. Trust no politician on any side of the aile! Unless you own them, they are not really working for you:-)

Gerry
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Of course the FAA situation has nothing to do with this administration. The FAA started this process under the previous administration, not that it matters.
You are right, it makes no difference. This entities live and grow by themselves, no matter who is in the White House. They have a job to do, and they will do it (eventually). They live forever (well almost) and are not ruled by the limited timeframes of our elected officials:-)

Gerry
Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: rivnut13

My 2 cents, if the FAA starts requiring registration of RC airplanes,
Nowhere has there even been a hint of that so I think you can rest easy on that account.

People have to get it straight in their heads that the FAA is moving towards regulating COMMERCIAL and PUBLIC AGENCY sUAS used for compensation or hire. Whatever effect the new rules have on us will be collateral damage due to their need to define what we are so they can exempt us from regulation.

It would seem to me if the FAA just wanted to exempt models they could easly do so by keeping the status quo, Also I think its very easy todefine commercial use
verses recreation use in 99% of the cases.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

What I'm sensing, thus far, is an "us versus them" attitude towards the FAA / General Aviation.
As posted earlier, don't lump GA in with the Feds. I hope I'm wrong, but you sound like someone who fears his government. If so, you have it backwards. They should fear us! That's what democracy is about!!

An adversarial relationship with the government is necessary and healthy. We should be decreasing the size of gov't in general, all the way down to township/county/parish, not encouraging their growth. Gov't should be about providing for the general welfare and defense, crop reports, and maybe highway safety, not intruding into everyday people's lives just because they can.[>:]

What has RC done that warrants scrutiny or further regulation? Nothing! The bureaucrats have nothing better to do, and have to justify their jobs. We could learn a thing or two from the Europeans. They shut the country down and march in the streets when a hint of something they don't agree with is presented.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM
crustychief

ORIGINAL: eddieC

What I'm sensing, thus far, is an "us versus them" attitude towards the FAA / General Aviation.
As posted earlier, don't lump GA in with the Feds. I hope I'm wrong, but you sound like someone who fears his government. If so, you have it backwards. They should fear us! That's what democracy is about!!

An adversarial relationship with the government is necessary and healthy. We should be decreasing the size of gov't in general, all the way down to township/county/parish, not encouraging their growth. Gov't should be about providing for the general welfare and defense, crop reports, and maybe highway safety, not intruding into everyday people's lives just because they can.[>:]

What has RC done that warrants scrutiny or further regulation? Nothing! The bureaucrats have nothing better to do, and have to justify their jobs. We could learn a thing or two from the Europeans. They shut the country down and march in the streets when a hint of something they don't agree with is presented.
That is all they can do now because they rolled over a long time ago. Our republic can survive but not if people keep rolling over and accepting what is dealt.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM
aeronca52

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Flying radio control aircraft is a privilege, not a right.
WRONG!

Dont know what country you think your living in, but this is the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

If I do something that is legal, and in a safe manner, its my RIGHT.

I fly out in the middle of the desert. Let me clarify that, WAY out in the middle of the desert. No cars, people, building, trees, roads, nothing! So far out, if I had a dead battery, I would have to walk 4 hours to the nearest phone.

Driving a car on a PUBLICLY funded road/Hwy is a PRIVILEGE. Going out in the middle of nowhere, by my self, to safely fly my RC planes is my RIGHT!!

I do it all while carrying a concealed weapon, that is also my right!

The attitude that everything in this country is a privilege, is killing OUR rights................

You hit the nail on the head. Too many soft characters need someone to tell them what they can and can't do for direction in life. They don't have the strength to make decisions for themselves. When it comes to flying models I will not subjugate myself to some self serving government agency which should busy itself chasing real terrorists.

Remember (yeah, I know I'm getting way off topic here) 'A well armed citizen IS homeland security.'

And oh yeah.....'Flying radio control aircraft is a privilege not a right'....That kind of 'knuckle under' attitude is exactly what the AMA is exhibiting to allow the FAA to ride herd over their members and the unfortunate non -members who will also be affected. You never (never) seek permission or grant permission or ask permission for any government entity to help develop governing rules for your activity. Remember, the more rules, the more reason these government bureaus have to exist.

Having dealt with the FAA for over 30 years a a full size pilot I can assure anyone that their intervention into modelling will be disastrous.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Sport_Pilot

Thomas, I am not refering to the big crash's where all of the experts are brought in. But the many many crash's of mostly GA aircraft where causes are "unknown". Note I did not say most, but many.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

You do know that most of the Patriot Act was never used. And to my knowledge none was ruled unconstitutional.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Silent-AV8R

You do know that most of the Patriot Act was never used. And to my knowledge none was ruled unconstitutional.

The question was never put before the court either.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
apwachholz

All -

I appreciate the insight on many your behalf surrounding the possibility of regulations begin sanctioned on our hobby community and the AMA regarding pending FAA rulings. It's given me a good perspective where some of us stand, how we see this affecting us, and most of all the passion that you all have for our hobby and its future.

Unfortunately, I will be resigning any further comments on this particular thread following a final post.

Please note: If you would care to contact me directly and share some of your thoughts, please email me through RCU and I'd be happy to get in touch with you directly via email or phone and share a conversation. I'd post my contact info on this thread however, that isn't the wisest of ideas online ('bots, spam, et.). Hit me up via my bio.

Have a safe and happy holiday everyone.

// Some closing comments to individuals: //

@phlpsfrnk
Actually I attempt to keep GA quite separate from the FAA as I know you are a body primarily represented by AOPA; of whom I'm also very familiar with. It's a great organization in my book and does a fine of job as any working with the states and federal governments to represent GA pilots in a fair manner.

As for my lack of posts on the AMA forum, RCU has more visible traction within our hobby and it seemed the logical place to gain the most insight from others.

//
@jonkoppisch
I'm not asking for the worst to be unleashed on our hobby or the AMA. The reality is that we will have possible collateral damage done to our hobby with pending rulings. Or perhaps not… either way, I'm not out to destroy you or the hobby. This is why I wanted to pose the questions to you all. Please don't assume that fully support all the FAA has to say or rule. I'm trying to understand us as much as them - and to make the best possible decision based on the facts given.

//
@littlecrankshaf
You don't have to support my opinion, but what I do ask is that you support the AMA and the building of our community. We can agree to disagree.

//
@Hossfly
I am not compensated, nor am I claiming to be of high rank. Rather I'm an individual who was chosen by the AMA to participate in a group who's sole objective is to increase membership and community of the AMA; not to stifle its growth or its members. Horrace, I understand your point of view and your concerns but again, please don't assume that I'm a proponent of governmental 'control' over aero modeling. I'm not proposing control. If anything, at the least, I'm asking that we have an open mind and as an rc community be more open to working with the FAA and organizations like them.

//
@CowboyLifesaver
Actually I'll talk to the FCC about my bedroom activities :-) Seriously though, I'm not looking for hard and fast regulations and lock down. But I do support some type of oversight.

//
@Thomas B
Agreed. Unneeded regulations will be a detriment. But as far as I can tell, the rc aviation community can't seem to agree on anything other then complete free reign. Unless there is one unified voice (AMA) that we support (note that I said we support the AMA) we're going to be at the mercy of whatever is thrown our way. AOPA was created to try and stem the tides of this for GA. Do they succeed all the time? No. Does everyone agree with them? No. But they have a presence on Capitol Hill and more of a unified voice then we do. Why is it that we seem so separated from the very body that we need (AMA)?

//
@eddieC
I don't fear the government. We only fear what we don't know and If I don't know something about the government, I try to find out. As for what rc has done to warrant scrutiny? It hasn't. But the stunts like the NYC vid over the Hudson and near the Statue of Liberty show that we're skirting the line to where we do warrant scrutiny.

//
@aeronca52
I'll gladly go head-to-head with you on some of your thoughts. Actually, I think it would be good for both of us. Being a certified pilot it surprises me that you have such a distain for the FAA. I'm curious as to why. Email me through RCU when you get the chance, we should talk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.