Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Gas Engines Vs Glow

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Gas Engines Vs Glow

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 05:48 PM
3wExtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Engines Vs Glow

a bunch (3-4) of members in my club are harassing me because I fly gas, they say that the AMA has more restrictions and that is more dangerous to fly gas than glow, that I should not fly gas.
Nowhere in the rules I can see a difference, I called that AMA and they said that there is no difference. However they keep harassing me. Are there any obscure rules I and the AMA Lady do not know?
what cam I do with in the rules to stop the harassment from these members?
thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 05:57 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Only thing I can think of is that they are usually bigger heavier models. Perhaps they are uneducated folk who wouldn't know an AMA rule if it hit em in the nards.

Next time they harass you, tell them to put up or shut up. Show you in writing where it is more dangerous.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:04 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell them

GAS= $1.49/Gal
GLOW=$15.99/Gal

No contest. I fly both Gas and Glow. I really like gas because you don't have that Goo to clean up. Please it is sooooo cheap. Plus my Cub gets about 45 minutes on 18oz of gas vs 10 minutes on my .61 shoestring on 12 oz of glow
Old 08-07-2003, 06:35 PM
J_R

There is no difference. Relate your call. Also make a copy of the AMA Safety Code. Without being beligerent, present the Safety Code to those harrassing you and tell them if they can find anything that says you shouldn't fly gas that you will comply, but, until it does your not going to change. Keep in mind that the club could make a rule against gas, if they so choose. Don't get anyone so hot they attempt to do this.

JR
Old 08-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Jim Branaum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by J_R
There is no difference. Relate your call. Also make a copy of the AMA Safety Code. Without being beligerent, present the Safety Code to those harrassing you and tell them if they can find anything that says you shouldn't fly gas that you will comply, but, until it does your not going to change. Keep in mind that the club could make a rule against gas, if they so choose. Don't get anyone so hot they attempt to do this.

JR
Let me add that there are several common reasons the sport modeler seems to dislike folks running gasoline. Try to avoid being in any of the following categories:

Frequently gas burners are seen as big acrobats hovering in the middle of the field which denies equal usage.

Sometimes gas burners are seen as elitist in that the knowledge of what goes into that type of model is not always seen on the surface.

Sometimes gas burner folks are seen as 'rich kids' because they are willing to openly discuss the $ in their models while most sport fliers avoid that subject. Oddly enough there are many sport fliers with more expensive glow birds than some of the more 'fun' gas burners.

Some gas modelers tend to present themselves as better than the rest of the group because of the $ invested issue which is really not necessarily true.

Some glow modelers are jealous of the gas guys for all the above reasons plus the fact that the gas guys are a diffident breed. One has to learn new (more stringent) rules to fly gas burners. Those lessons can be (and very frequently are) very expensive.

Having said all that I would be willing to bet that some have assumed that the IMAA recommendations (they dropped them from being rules because they did not want any liability!) for events have been adopted by the AMA as rules. Those recommendations are somewhat more stringent, but not exclusive and really directed toward safety in ALL planes.

Good luck in educating your friends GENTLY and in a friendly manner.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:58 PM
crash99

Default Gas / Rich Boys

I have just jumped into the Gas side of things with my hanger 9 cap 232. I needed a heaver motor due to I placed servoes at the tail of the $200 model.

I bought a Quatra 42 for $150. (a lot cheaper that a glow motor) I now don't have to use up $18 a gal to fly this plane.

I could be wrong but if I had a more $$ glow motor I could only get 5-6 flight per gallon. At $18 per gallon this guy would much rather spend $6.00 per month that $72.00 (based on 5 flights a week)

Thanks
Crash99
Old 08-07-2003, 09:04 PM
3wExtra

Default Jim....

I believe that I do not fall in any of those stereotypes. I have always been more than understanding, to the point that when there is someone at the field that has concerns, I wait for them to finish with their flying. I have always asked if they had a problem and said no until they started this harassment. it is only 3 or 4 people, do you know how many people do you need to change the rules to ban gas engines? is there a protocol to follow to black ball gas engines?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by J_R
Also make a copy of the AMA Safety Code. Without being beligerent, present the Safety Code to those harrassing you and tell them if they can find anything that says you shouldn't fly gas that you will comply,
Better yet, tell them to find the info. They are plainly not educated on the matter, have no basis for their concern and need to do some reading to study it.

Tell them to do some reading and get informed so they won't be afraid of it. Most people are afraid of what they don't understand. These people clearly do not understand gas engines.

By the same theory they are trying to push on you, they wouldn't mow their lawn or use a weed eater either.

Tell them to go away! Don't let them think for a minute that you are intimidated by their lack of understanding on the subject.

Thats just amazing. People like that just make you wonder!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:10 PM
3wExtra

Default flyboy

trust me they know that I am no intimidated by them. what it drives me crazy is that they are going around talking BS. I hate to say this but they are retired people with nothing better to do than to harass others. I just want to make sure that I am not braking any AMA obscure law and that they can not get the three of them together and just kick gassers out.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Jim Branaum

Default Re: Gas / Rich Boys

Originally posted by crash99
I have just jumped into the Gas side of things with my hanger 9 cap 232. I needed a heaver motor due to I placed servoes at the tail of the $200 model.

I bought a Quatra 42 for $150. (a lot cheaper that a glow motor) I now don't have to use up $18 a gal to fly this plane.

I could be wrong but if I had a more $$ glow motor I could only get 5-6 flight per gallon. At $18 per gallon this guy would much rather spend $6.00 per month that $72.00 (based on 5 flights a week)

Thanks
Crash99
Please do not misunderstand what I was saying it is NOT rich guys against the rest but the PERCEPTION of rich.

Nothing against the Quadra, but that was probably (guessing based on price) a used engine and my suggested example was based on new costs. What perception does it give the fellow who has only been in the hobby 4 or 5 months? You have knowledge he does not (along with ability) and know where to go to get more of the same.

By the way, I have a BME 44 on my Hangar 9 Cap 232 and it is the most fun plane I have. All the vertical I can use and miserly on the fuel costs.

However a great many gas supporting modelers wind up spending extra on neat and tricky servos (digital - price them), dual receivers, dual everything and more much expensive engines. They also frequently fly models most others do not see as being cost effective (try $1K+ ARF's as an example). I swear that I have seen some who must believe it has to be expensive to be good.

It is NOT rich boys, but perceptions. Try to get some serious pattern guy to price out his bird and the comparison with many big bird costs becomes similar. Heck, try to get some sport modeler with a war bird carrying retracts to price out the parts. Don't do that to him in front of his wife!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:51 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

"Hanging in the middle of the field denies equal usage"
PLEASE get real! If I am hanging more or less stationary in one part of the sky, how in the heck can I be denying other people equal use of airspace. If anything I'm letting them have more.
Truth be told, it is the green eyed monster more often or not raising its ugly head. Whether it is the amount of money you have invested in your airplane,and/ or the fact that you can out fly almost anyone at your field, someone somewhere is going to be jealous.
At the field I currently fly at there is a large number of us that fly the big scale aerobatic airplanes. Our current club president has made it no secret that he would like to be able to throw us of the field. He is currently trying to impose a 100db limit on us (almost all of us use cannister mufflers) at the same time he has given the jet guys a wavier on the noise rule.
It is an unfortunate fact of life that there is always seems to be someone with a personal agenda in what ever club you belong to.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 PM
3wExtra

Default darn it

it sounds just like in mine, I wish there was another place I could fly. these 3-4 people could not fly a pattern if their lives depended on it. however they do not mind to tell me that flying gas is risky... I wish the AMA had some kind of rule against harassment. after all of us pay for the insurance so, if the AMA (us) is going to cover their sorry ass, and they do not like gas they could go and get their "glow" organization. they sure do not mind getting the money from gassers...
darn it I just want to fly! and be left alone!
Old 08-07-2003, 11:52 PM
crash99

You do not have to use high $$ servoes. I am using standard servoes except for the elevator.

Yes, The motor is used, But very little use until I received it. My point is that flying gas ................. can be just affordable as 60 size aircraft.

Now for the guy that is having problems with club members, Your always welcome to fly with us.

For the bad mean un wise club members ................ Fly electric!

Crash99
Old 08-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Let them harass, it doesn't matter. Just fly and enjoy your plane!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:05 AM
NitroWoman

The only problem I have with Gas burners is that they don't smell good and make my eyes water. I love the smell of burning glow fuel. One of my favorite things is that first breath of burning glow fuel after a long hard winter. As far as the gas burning airplanes and the people who fly them go, I think they are great.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:18 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nitro, some hate the smell of nitro fuel too and like gas. I love the smell of jet fuel, my boss hates it and screams when i taxi up behind a jet too close in ours. Fun.

I have been in clubs with this same problem of the retired guys being bored and trying to impose rules on the rest of the people. All I can say is make sure you stay on the board and keep the people on it that can be fair. I had the same problem as you for a long time. Just about everything I had was grounded due to noise, and the president had the exact same engine, muffler and everything and was flying it. I became pres, we modified the rules so they were the same for everyone, and all of a sudden the noise rule was not a good thing for the people that initiated it. The pres after me did away with it and we had no more problems. Sometimes things take longer to work out. Sometimes not. Sux to have to deal with it though.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:00 AM
3wExtra

Default GET THIS!

they Closed the Field with a LOCK! and they are not going to give me a key! good old *****#*les.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:45 AM
J_R

Default Re: GET THIS!

Originally posted by FC26
they Closed the Field with a LOCK! and they are not going to give me a key! good old *****#*les.
Assuming that you are a member in good standing with this club it is time to quit being nice. On Monday, call Carl Maroney, or his assistant if he is not there, at AMA HQ. Assuming that you have posted all the pertinent information here, tell him the story. Be prepared to give him as much information as you can. In particular the names and phone numbers of the officers of the club as well as those who harassed you. You will also need the name of the club and it's charter number, if you know it. Carl's number is (765) 287-1256 ext 250.

JR
Old 08-09-2003, 03:31 AM
3wExtra

Default J_R

ok, I call this guy... and what happens?
One of the guys is the "president" that was appointed by the old president. who happens to tired of these people as well.
I have no reason to lie, I am telling the truth here.
today I tried to apply to another club 35mi further than the one I am currently member. I will do anything to get a place where I just can land and take off. I hate politics, and I leave people alone.
I will try to get their names and I will call him. I just would like to know a bit ahead of what the consequences could be. I do not believe on being a *****#*le, because they are to me. So if they can get their AMA membership revoked I would like to know and think before I call.
thank you
Old 08-09-2003, 03:45 AM
J_R

You absolutely, positively will not lose your AMA membership. They will not lose theirs either. Dave Brown, AMA President, has said that NO ONE will be kicked out of the AMA on his watch.

You may not be the most popular guy at the club, but, I will bet they give you a key and leave you alone.

If it makes you feel better you can tell Carl I suggested calling. You don't need to, but it it makes you feel better, feel free.

JR
Old 08-09-2003, 04:18 AM
3wExtra

Default J_R

Thank you, I will call and see what is what we can do.
thank you again
Old 09-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Gas Engines Vs Glow

Can some -one let me know if it is nessessary to use a on board glow igniter on the Saito FA90T twin engine?

I can`t find right place to ask this ? so I`m trying here .Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Old 09-13-2003, 09:51 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Wulf

Can some -one let me know if it is nessessary to use a on board glow igniter on the Saito FA90T twin engine?

I can`t find right place to ask this ? so I`m trying here .Any help is appreciated

Thanks
One of the guys at our field has one and he uses two ni-starters to start it, then pulls them and flys.

If you click forums at the top of each page, it should show a list of all forums. There is one called "Engines, Giant Engines and Fuel Talk", under "Radios, Engines, Batteries, Clubhouse and more". If you go there, then click the "Glow Engine" forum, I think it will take you to where you wanted to be.

JR
Old 09-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks J_R.I see it now .They changed everything and now I have myself orientated again.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Jim Thomerson

A question from an ignorant person. At the '83 Westover nats, I walked over to look at a number of giant scale airplanes, maybe mostly gas powered. I noticed a number of areas among the airplanes where there had been recent small grass fires. I didn't speak to anyone, but I wondered about it. Did my observation have any relevance to this discussion?

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.