Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Important Info regarding FAA regs

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Important Info regarding FAA regs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
cdtraver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Important Info regarding FAA regs

Dang right sent it right away
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

# 174 from WISCONSIN. Come on fellas n gals, lets get the number from the Badger State up a bunch!

Joe Little
President, Bay Flyers
Sturgeon Bay, Wi.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

You are the 1273rd person from California to sign this petition!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

428th in PA. I hope people take the time and do this. The only thing that counts in this world are numbers.

Gerry
Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 AM
froghair1

I must be getting slow in my old age number983 from florida
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 AM
suburban95
My Feedback: (9)

As an EAA and an AMA memeber I sent my letters in using the link supplied........Piece of cake and I think we at least might be heard. Hopefully OUR elected representatives pay attention........
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

I'm # 426 from New York, and I'm urging my entire club to follow suit. I also intend to follow up with a hardcopy version.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

How is government regulation a bad thing? I mean, they've done a great job with General and Comercial aviation. Besides now days society wants to be guided and told whats best.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

OK but it still allows the FAA to regulate models bigger than 55 lbs. Sounds like letting the camels nose under the tent to me.

Okay, flame suit on, but I have to ask,
Look, I like R/C as much (or more) than anyone here, but is a 55lb model airplane not big enough? Would it be acceptable to throw some huge servos in a full-scale Extra 300 for ultimate 3D? I guess I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape about the 55 lb limit- these are supposed to be "model" airplanes after all. Everyone talks about the freedom we had in the "good ol' days" of RC back 30 years ago, but for the most part, people mainly flew .60 sized aircraft or smaller weighing less than 10lbs. Then somewhere along the line, model airplanes just started ballooning in size, and getting these big chainsaw motors. There's a 70% Staudacher on youtube for Pete sake. If that thing goes into someone's home or car, or worse- an airborne 1:1 aircraft, the aftermath will be similar to an ultralight accident. I think that's part of what the proposed regulations are trying to address. BTW, letters sent, number 200 something PA.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM
NorfolkSouthern

You know, I dive into this further and I must admit that tommygun has some good common sense observations. Why would someone want a model that's almost the size of a full-sized plane? Where do people put something that big? And finally: WHY in the world would anybody need all that carrying capacity? And yes, back in the day, there was hardly anything on the market with an engine larger than a .60 and most of us were perfectly fine with .049 or even .010. They performed their function admirably. Most people who did models back then flew control-line or free-flight, and they were all the happier for it.

I think a part of the FAA's argument is going to be: "Why would anybody need an assault weapon"? And frankly, anything over 20 pounds can indeed be used as an assault weapon by the wrong person with an intelligent mind.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

You know, I dive into this further and I must admit that tommygun has some good common sense observations. Why would someone want a model that's almost the size of a full-sized plane? Where do people put something that big? And finally: WHY in the world would anybody need all that carrying capacity? And yes, back in the day, there was hardly anything on the market with an engine larger than a .60 and most of us were perfectly fine with .049 or even .010. They performed their function admirably. Most people who did models back then flew control-line or free-flight, and they were all the happier for it.

I think a part of the FAA's argument is going to be: ''Why would anybody need an assault weapon''? And frankly, anything over 20 pounds can indeed be used as an assault weapon by the wrong person with an intelligent mind.

NorfolkSouthern
Well, NorfolkSouthern, your question "Why would anyone need..." can start a long chain of why's.
Why does anyone need rc anyway?
Why does anyone need any type of gun?
Why do we need to post in this forum?

I hope you can see where this is going, for there is no end, nor any answer to the question, "Why does anyone need..."?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Think of it this way, 804: The reasoning I am giving, is essentially how many lawmakers think. Would you put it beyond the FAA to use that sort of reasoning when they try to impose this rule of theirs (and I still believe that the amendment the Senate passed makes it a moot issue)? If you want the AMA to be like the NRA, then they'll need to ACT like the NRA. And those types of statements I gave, are essentially what they are likely to have to deal with.

And I still can't figure out why someone would want to put servos and a radio on a full-sized Decathlon, and then fly it.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
iron eagel

You guys do not understand that the scope of the regulations goes much further than the limit of 45lbs.
Bottom line here is that R/C airplanes have existed within the NAS for over 75 years with the need of no regulation from the FAA, we don't need it now. Once they regulated it they will find a way to charge user fees as well, somebody has got to pay for the mandated nexgen of ATC systems that the airlines do not want to pay for.
This is all a power play and the bottom line is they think they can produce another revenue source.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Think of it this way, 804: The reasoning I am giving, is essentially how many lawmakers think. Would you put it beyond the FAA to use that sort of reasoning when they try to impose this rule of theirs (and I still believe that the amendment the Senate passed makes it a moot issue)? If you want the AMA to be like the NRA, then they'll need to ACT like the NRA. And those types of statements I gave, are essentially what they are likely to have to deal with.

And I still can't figure out why someone would want to put servos and a radio on a full-sized Decathlon, and then fly it.

NorfolkSouthern
No, I would not put it past FAA to use the sort of reasoning you speak of.
Which is the reason for this amendment in the first place.

If you think the NRA thinks like that, then you ain't been following their program long.
NRA is and has been about not bending to the politicians ideas of limiting gun owners rights.

There are many who would ask why you should be able to fly any size Decathlon.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
iron eagel

From what I have heard and read these regulations would eliminate most of the following types of planes...
Warbirds, Sailplanes, Pylon racers to name just a few.
The altitude limits would eliminate most pattern flying and the top speed limit would make slope soaring, pylon, warbirds and speed planes museum pieces
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 PM
KidEpoxy

The altitude limits would eliminate most pattern flying and the top speed limit would make slope soaring, pylon, warbirds and speed planes museum pieces
They can join the TAM5 as a hobby model that is now verboten.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 804

I think a part of the FAA's argument is going to be: ''Why would anybody need an assault weapon''? And frankly, anything over 20 pounds can indeed be used as an assault weapon by the wrong person with an intelligent mind.

NorfolkSouthern
Well, NorfolkSouthern, your question ''Why would anyone need...'' can start a long chain of why's.

I hope you can see where this is going, for there is no end, nor any answer to the question, ''Why does anyone need...''?

That's a bit short-sighted. You're trying to draw a parallel here where there is none (and yet another model airplane/gun owner's rights comparison ) Let me ask you this, if you were the maker of the rules, and you alone were able to determine a weight/size limit (if any), what would it be? 200lbs? 500lbs? None? Could I then buy a surplus Chinese Mig 15 and throw some servos in it? Consider that you'd preserve (and extend) all rights afforded to R/C flyers, but totally ignore the rights of citizens, homeowners, and aircraft pilots/passengers. Most people would expect the right to be reasonably assured that massive (for this discussion >55lbs) out of control, unregistered, poorly maintained, non-certified, questionably assembled, unmanned aircraft (flown by unlicensed, mediocre pilots) carrying flammable fuel aren't going to come crashing into their living rooms, their cars, or aircraft they're riding in. In the past, model aircraft that weighed an average of 10 lbs or less would be less capable of causing that degree of damage, nor was the average 60 size plane likely to travel over 50 miles or up into FAA airspace when it departed radio control. It's physics- 10 lbs of balsa or foam vs 100 lbs of fiberglass, aluminum and steel hitting your roof or car cause different levels of damage. Full scale aircraft have collided with R/C planes in the past, fortunately with no fatalities. >55lb RC planes could most likely yield a much different outcome. The commercial UAV operators will have that cross to bear, and that is why the aircraft they want to operate will be registered, flown, and maintained in accordance with FAA accepted practices, standards, and procedures. I'm sure there will be growing pains. Accidents will occur, and ultimately there will be further evolution of Aviation Law as a result. That's the annoying thing about freedom- it doesn't only apply to you.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

ORIGINAL: 804

NorfolkSouthern
Well, NorfolkSouthern, your question ''Why would anyone need...'' can start a long chain of why's.

I hope you can see where this is going, for there is no end, nor any answer to the question, ''Why does anyone need...''?

That's a bit short-sighted. You're trying to draw a parallel here where there is none (and yet another model airplane/gun owner's rights comparison ) Let me ask you this, if you were the maker of the rules, and you alone were able to determine a weight/size limit (if any), what would it be? 200lbs? 500lbs? None? Could I then buy a surplus Chinese Mig 15 and throw some servos in it? Consider that you'd preserve (and extend) all rights afforded to R/C flyers, but totally ignore the rights of citizens, homeowners, and aircraft pilots/passengers. Most people would expect the right to be reasonably assured that massive (for this discussion >55lbs) out of control, unregistered, poorly maintained, non-certified, questionably assembled, unmanned aircraft (flown by unlicensed, mediocre pilots) carrying flammable fuel aren't going to come crashing into their living rooms, their cars, or aircraft they're riding in. In the past, model aircraft that weighed an average of 10 lbs or less would be less capable of causing that degree of damage, nor was the average 60 size plane likely to travel over 50 miles or up into FAA airspace when it departed radio control. It's physics- 10 lbs of balsa or foam vs 100 lbs of fiberglass, aluminum and steel hitting your roof or car cause different levels of damage. Full scale aircraft have collided with R/C planes in the past, fortunately with no fatalities. >55lb RC planes could most likely yield a much different outcome. The commercial UAV operators will have that cross to bear, and that is why the aircraft they want to operate will be registered, flown, and maintained in accordance with FAA accepted practices, standards, and procedures. I'm sure there will be growing pains. Accidents will occur, and ultimately there will be further evolution of Aviation Law as a result. That's the annoying thing about freedom- it doesn't only apply to you.
You can argue for more restriction.
I'll argue for less.
One of these days, it might be your particular toy someone is trying to restrict,
and you'll be saying the same as I am.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
flybabyg38
My Feedback: (18)

Sent mine #157 from Arkansas also sent e-mail to our club Sec/tres and ask him to send to all members hope that help to get about 60 more. Tim
Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

#773 from Illinois...