Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Government intrusion in hobby flying

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Government intrusion in hobby flying

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
AltaTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Government intrusion in hobby flying

I don't know how may have seen the AMA information on the government rule making in process right now but we need all the support help possible.

Our Government wants to limit our models and impose new restrictions...no turbines, no planes over 55 pounds. no clubs within 3 miles of an air port.... etc. An amendment to the bill to give us a waiver has made it through the Senate but still has to go to to Congress for passage.

<big>We all should send a email to tell our congressmen to vote on it. AMA already has a prepared statement to send by simply filling in your name and it will email to your Congressman. The link is below. Pass this on to all you can.</big>

[email protected]" moz-do-not-send="false">
http://amagov.modelaircraft.org/4077/this-is-placeholder-call-to-action/
Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Government intrusion in hobby flying

You know something. I'm not even in the United states and already I'm pissed just reading this! I feel like hurling all manner of disgusting language in every language I can think of right now!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
DeferredDefect

Welcome to the Free World! 
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

It was just a matter of time. We were having way too much fun for Uncle Sugar to leave us alone.

Tom
Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
elanharper

they think we are helping people and those model aircraft modellers can just deal with it and really people need to keep their nose out of it because it wasn't a problem before and they just want to turn things in to a problem and be drama queens and i think its stupid
Old 02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

Done. It went to three congressmen. I was the 78th person from wisconsin.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
crash bandicoute

i sent mine to them. freakin' communists... they think we're building UAV's for terrorists? i think they're mad cuz our models are better then their multi-million dollar crap.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
JimmyZep

Our RIGHTS are being modified or taken away left and right and Im getting VERY VERY tired of it.

Whats next?

Watch your back people!

Jimmy
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

153rd from Virginia! Let's see a state that beats that!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The government doesn't give a rip about RC models buzzing around in the sky. And, contrary to the assertions of an alarmist fringe in our society, every senator and governor is not hell bent on taking away our freedoms. As for the topic at hand, the statement that started the thread is inaccurate. The FAA is considering regulations for commercial small UAV's (sUAV's), and is considering classifying RC models with them. The actual proposal has not been released and won't be for a while longer. AMA reps have been working with the FAA on the rulemaking process, making a case for hobby RC planes being considered differently from commercial UAV's and asking to allow the hobby to essentially self regulate as it has done through the AMA for decades. That's all we have at this point. If you want information from a more credible source than me (wise decision), go to the AMA website and read the information they have there.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AB Bob

153rd from Virginia! Let's see a state that beats that!
630th from California.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

The government doesn't give a rip about RC models buzzing around in the sky. And, contrary to the assertions of an alarmist fringe in our society, every senator and governor is not hell bent on taking away our freedoms. As for the topic at hand, the statement that started the thread is inaccurate. The FAA is considering regulations for commercial small UAV's (sUAV's), and is considering classifying RC models with them. The actual proposal has not been released and won't be for a while longer. AMA reps have been working with the FAA on the rulemaking process, making a case for hobby RC planes being considered differently from commercial UAV's and asking to allow the hobby to essentially self regulate as it has done through the AMA for decades. That's all we have at this point. If you want information from a more credible source than me (wise decision), go to the AMA website and read the information they have there.
Sir, I do believe you are taking a very naive position. In reality, the FAA will make a big play, but place the blame on those that they figure cannot fight back. FAA will beat their chests about saving the world, when their program will only hurt those that are NOT wearing black hats (black hats - the bad guys ).

Those businesses that are into the commercial use of sUAVs will have the money and power to tilt any regulations moreso toward we "white hats" (the good guys) and therefore take most of the pressure off themselves. That is the way of politics and government. In this case even though I claim to be one of, if not the largest, AMA's largest critics, I fully support the AMA getting on the ball and going ahead with this letter campaign to bring Congress to an awareness of how the FAA is moving.
With adequate pressure, FAA will just hopefully see the error in their ways and that NPRM will come out in a proper form. Repair the crack BEFORE the bridge breaks.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Jetflyer-dang, that didn't take long!
I need to get on the horn and call a few.....hundred local club members!
Good for California on THIS legislative endeavor!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 AM
batdog

+The AMA is also using this to ask for more money in the form of donations. Whats with this? Haven't the fee's that have been paid by members every year been enough to have our voice heard in Washington?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
gtc

For a long time, the AMA told us to wait and see, that the proposed rules were not available to see yet until they were released for review.
What Exactly changed?
Have the proposed rules been released somewhere?  Where?
If not, why did the AMA decide at this time to ask us to speak up? 
What Exactly changed?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nothing changed as far as I know, gtc. I'm sure internally that the AMA leadership believes that now is the time to apply pressure to the politicians to get the changes they are lobbying for.

Hossfly- I am as aware of the corruption and self-serving attitude in government as anyone. I have also sat on the other side of the desk as a church staff member (as political an office as anyone ever held) and know the difference between what happens privately vs. what happens publicly. My only point was that the FAA is not out to get us. They want to govern well, some of which means seeking public approval by looking like they are doing something and some of which entails actually keeping the public safe. They will only regulate us if they believe that it will accomplish those two goals more so than leaving us alone would.

On a related topic, I am glad we have the AMA to speak for us. The organization isn't perfect by any means, but it is ours and has come through for us in the past. Flyers who bash the AMA and say they don't need it have been proven wrong with this episode, as well as others in the past when they advocated for us. It overall does and has done far more good than bad for the hobby, and for $60 a year it's a steal.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
goirish

Hey Hossfly, I enjoyed the videos. Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Jester, I applaud your optimism when it come to our government. But as evidenced by their past actions I absolutely do not trust our government in any way, shape or form. So I must assume the FAA is doing what is only good for themselves and not the people as a whole. I support the AMA in lobbying for our best interests and pray that they succeed. But as they say "money talks" and to think otherwise is truly naive.

I have sent the letters to Idaho's three Representatives also.

AMA is the best 65.00 I've ever spent.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
AltaTed

Sorry if the origional post was inaccurate. I got this from a credible source in the model jet's area and was assured it was correct as stated. The post from jester is quite informative. If it's now in the rule making process before going to congress for passage or rejection thats great news.

I have worked with officials on rule making in Washington on another issuefor several years and this is where it can be saved as far as all of us are concerned. If AMA is working directly with the rule makers I believe this will end of a postitve for all of us. It's when something slips through unnoticed by the effected that it becomes a disaster for them. Being in at this time can make all the difference..
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Tarasdad

ORIGINAL: gtc

For a long time, the AMA told us to wait and see, that the proposed rules were not available to see yet until they were released for review.
What Exactly changed?
Have the proposed rules been released somewhere? Where?
If not, why did the AMA decide at this time to ask us to speak up?
What Exactly changed?

The AMA has much more direct contact with the FAA on this issue. Dave Mathewson, AMA President, has already stated that the upcoming sUAS NPRM will contain regulations that will have a very negative impact on our hobby, but because of ex parte laws the AMA is not free to share the information the do have. Given that this amendment and letter writing campaign came out very shortly afterwards I for one will assume that the AMA feels there is a credible and imminent threat and start taking action now, acting in a preemptive manner rather than reactive. Others are, of course, free to act as they see fit.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The proposed rules come out this summer. The AMA does not have them.

What hapened is this: Plan B happened. A piece of legislation exempting amatuer Model Aviation from FAA regulation actually passed in the senate.

But the House's version doesn't contain that exemption for MA. It is our hope that the two bills, once combined and resolved will contain the language exempting us, (amatuer model aviation) from FAA regulation.

The legislation roughly says that the exemption would apply if you are 1.)an amatuer, 2.)in the CBO, and 3.)under 55# or with waiver from CBO(community based organization, aka AMA)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
iron eagel

There is indeed a credible threat to the hobby. Whilst the proposed rules have not been released I guarantee you that the gist of it is well know within certain circles in Washington.
In the time before these new rule proposals are released we have got to mobilize and start organizing a defense against these "onerous and unnecessary restrictions on the hobby".
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

294th from Pa! great turnout!!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM
chymas

Done last night - 89th in Washington State.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
piperfloatflyer

349 from NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.