Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The AMA is at it again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The AMA is at it again

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:56 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The AMA is at it again

Posted on the AMA web site:

FCC Examining Broadband Over Power Line Service (BPL)
(Added 8/08/03)

The Federal Communications Commission has launched an inquiry into the provision of broadband services over power lines. This service would provide users with the ability to connect to broadband services (such as the Internet) by simply plugging a BPL device into an electrical outlet.

While AMA realizes the potential for such a system we are concerned that there may be an interference issue for users of radio control systems. BPL would utilize frequencies in the 1.8 MHz to 80 MHz range. AMA is currently studying this issue to determine the affect this could have on our membership, and will be filing a reply comment with the FCC shortly. Depending on the outcome of this study further action by the AMA membership may be requested.

For more information Contact AMA Technical Director: Steve Kaluf at 765-287-1256 ext 230 or [email protected].
—Steve Kaluf
Technical Director
Old 08-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The AMA is at it again

Originally posted by J_R
Posted on the AMA web site:

FCC Examining Broadband Over Power Line Service (BPL)
(Added 8/08/03)

The Federal Communications Commission has launched an inquiry into the provision of broadband services over power lines. This service would provide users with the ability to connect to broadband services (such as the Internet) by simply plugging a BPL device into an electrical outlet.

While AMA realizes the potential for such a system we are concerned that there may be an interference issue for users of radio control systems. BPL would utilize frequencies in the 1.8 MHz to 80 MHz range. AMA is currently studying this issue to determine the affect this could have on our membership, and will be filing a reply comment with the FCC shortly. Depending on the outcome of this study further action by the AMA membership may be requested.

For more information Contact AMA Technical Director: Steve Kaluf at 765-287-1256 ext 230 or [email protected].
—Steve Kaluf
Technical Director
I wonder if this means we all will hear from our DVP's again.

I suspect that this issue may lead to a shot at spread spectrum radios and resolve the frequency conflicts issue once and for all.

But that is just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The AMA is at it again

fwiw ARRL has already done some independent field testing, and needless to say the results are quite alarming.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/08/2/?nc=1
Old 08-12-2003, 05:54 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I have not called the AMA

but before I do does anyone know if they have a position on this?

Thanks in advance